Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Install -- A few newbie questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fresh Install -- A few newbie questions

1. Firefox

The pre-installed version of Firefox is 3.0.13. I have tried multiple methods to install the latest version of Firefox, including using the help doc posted on UbuntuForums.org, but I still have not been able to change it. One of the steps I followed from the help seemed to download and install Firefox 3.5, but I cannot find the application anywhere on the computer. Any time I open up Firefox is still says version 3.0.13!

2. Web server stuff

I followed these instructions to install PHP/Apache on my new linux box, but when I try to save files in /var/www it gives me a permission error. This is probably a very simple fix, but for a Linux newbie, it's kind of confusing

3. Text editor for coding

Does anyone have recommendions for a text editor to use for coding? Preferably one that color codes the tags, but i'm flexible. I have experiemented with the command line editors like Nano, which actually works really well, if only it had some form of color coding.

I apologize if these are realy silly questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by mattsilv; September 6th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.

NoaHall is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Fresh Install -- A few newbie questions

You need to download the firefox 3.5 .deb file, it's either under /home/USERNAME or /home/USERNAME/Desktop or /home/USERNAME/Downloads

To save files like that, you need to open the editor using "sudo" or "gksudo" if it's outside of the terminal.

I use Geany for programming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need to start Firefox 3.5 differently - it'll appear on your menu under the name "Shiretoko".

Anything saved outside your home directory is not writable, by default. You have to become the system administrator, or "root", to copy files into /var/www - put simply, you open a terminal and run
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Be aware that you should only do this in cases where you need to edit/copy/manipulate files outside your home folder, as running a program as root is very dangerous. So quit the file manager once you're done.

For coding, you're spoiled for choice. gedit or Scribes make good vanilla text editors with syntax highlighting.
    Jonathan Rothwell
    (Still waiting for my cheque from $CORPORATION for shilling)
    HTML5 is not a drop-in replacement for Flash. This does not mean that Flash is A Good Thing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jrothwell97 View Post
    For coding, you're spoiled for choice. gedit or Scribes make good vanilla text editors with syntax highlighting.
    gedit is actually fantastic, but to really make it shine, you'll want to install the gedit-plugins package. I used scribes for a few weeks and got fed up with it. I appreciate what the author is trying to do, but he's too full of himself and there's some functionality that I couldn't put up with.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How about Bluefish for your coding?

Beans

the next question you will likely have will be 'wtf is the deal with this shiretoko stuff? i want firefox!'

firefox, though Free and Open Source Software, does not use the GPL & has the name 'firefox' trademarked.

this combination results in some legal mumbo jumbo that results in ff 3.5 needing to be renamed for now. it still functions identically, and indeed is firefox 3.5
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mattsilv View Post
    Does anyone have recommendions for a text editor to use for coding? Preferably one that color codes the tags, but i'm flexible. I have experiemented with the command line editors like Nano, which actually works really well, if only it had some form of color coding.
    This will be controversial but I recommend VIM.

It is an awesome command line editor which after a few hours (or more) of learning you will be able to edit with faster than anything you have used before.

Or you could just go the easy route and use gedit.

the next question you will likely have will be 'wtf is the deal with this shiretoko stuff? i want firefox!'

firefox, though Free and Open Source Software, does not use the GPL & has the name 'firefox' trademarked.

this combination results in some legal mumbo jumbo that results in ff 3.5 needing to be renamed for now. it still functions identically, and indeed is firefox 3.5
    Actually this is nothing to do with legal stuff - they just did not want 2 things branded firefox in the repos (it has always been that way with new/dev versions in Ubuntu).
    Anything saved outside your home directory is not writable, by default.
    If you want to change this dir's permissions (not a good idea if it is a production server) then just pop open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /var/www/
    Last edited by twright; September 6th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Swiftweasel is good, I'm finding it faster and more stable than Shiretoko.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You need to start Firefox 3.5 differently - it'll appear on your menu under the name "Shiretoko".
    Sure enough, under the Applications > Internet > folder there was an nondescript application called Shiretoko. It is completely beyond me why this is, but I will just accept it for now.

Anything saved outside your home directory is not writable, by default. You have to become the system administrator, or "root", to copy files into /var/www - put simply, you open a terminal and run
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Be aware that you should only do this in cases where you need to edit/copy/manipulate files outside your home folder, as running a program as root is very dangerous. So quit the file manager once you're done.
    This worked in allowing me to use the file browser to go to the /var/html folder, and I right-clicked, selected Properties, then set the Owner as "matt" (my username). How can I set the owner of the file using Terminal? I'd prefer to learn the shell way..

I will check into those. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by twright View Post
    This will be controversial but I recommend VIM.

It is an awesome command line editor which after a few hours (or more) of learning you will be able to edit with faster than anything you have used before.

Or you could just go the easy route and use gedit.
    I was recommend VIM by a friend as well; can you recommend any beginner VIM tutorials, including preferably.. How do I start using it with Ubuntu? (Literally.. is it installed already.. open via console.. etc?)

As a side-note, I am really blown away by the quick, thorough, and amazingly helpful responses on my first day at the UbuntuForums. Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast