Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolution and Exchange 2007

Beans

Evolution and Exchange 2007

I am a total Linux newbie. My Windows XP was getting slower and buggier each day and I thought I would try Linux before going out and getting a new computer. In general I like what I see, but I was expecting that Evolution would allow me the same access to my Microsoft Exchange 2007 e-mail/calendar/contacts that Outlook does. Alas I now understand that Evolution is only compatible with Exchange 2003. I have come across a few potential solutions, but as a complete newbie many of them scare me. I HATE using web access - I just don't consider that a viable option. For now, I am connected by IMAP but of course that means no calendar/contacts.

Question one: Advise re: the best way to get around this - plugin for evolution, different e-mail client, other solutions.

Question two: How does someone who knows nothing about Linux implement the suggestion given in question one! Step, by step instruction (written for dummies ideally) would be really appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Paul

Evolution 2.26.1
    Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Re: Evolution and Exchange 2007

I am not sure if it had been totally implemented thus far but here is the help results from the evolution developers

Evolution Exchange (formerly known as Connector)

Questions regarding problems with Evolution Exchange (Connector).

[edit]
    Why can't I connect to Exchange?

First of all, make sure the package "Evolution Exchange" is installed beside Evolution. Make sure the "Exchange plugin" is enabled under "Edit | Plugins". Also, Evolution Exchange only supports Microsoft Exchange 2000/2003 with OWA (Outlook Web Access) turned on (for WebDAV access). If you would like to connect to an Exchange 5.5, 2000, 2003 or 2007 server via MAPI (as would Outlook), get the Evolution Brutus Plugin at http://www.omesc.com/node/22. Evolution Brutus supports complete access to your Exchange mail, calendar and tasks. If this still does not work, make sure you use "domain\user" and not "domain/user" in the "Evolution Account Editor > Windows Username".
    [edit]
    Where do I add the user name and the OWA URL in the setup dialog?

If you do not see any fields to enter your user name and the OWA URL, most likely the Exchange plugin is not enabled. Please enable it (go to "Edit | Plugins") and try to create the account. You will see the username and OWA URL fields. And you will be able to proceed, once you authenticate.
    [edit]
    How can I access other users' Exchange calendars?

Evolution Exchange supports viewing other user's folders of all types. In Evolution 2.4 or later, there should be a menu item called "Subscribe to other user's Calendar", under the "File" option in the Calendar component. In Evolution 2.2, go to Exchange view and subscribe to the other user's folder ("Actions > Subscribe to other user's folder"), then go to the particular view to access the folder you have subscribed to.

Beans

Yes, I had come across that too, but the link to Evolution Brutus Plugin is broken, which doesn't inspire much confidence...

Have you actually accomplished this?

Paul

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Evolution and Exchange 2007

The developers won't support OWA for political reasons or nobody has the will to support Microsoft's products. If you are left out in the cold, like me, with no control over my Exchange server you just have to resort to using OWA through Firefox and ditch Evolution.

Beans

I would have thought this would be easier than it is...

I have tried to follow the suggestions from Evolution's FAQ about connecting to Exchange, but I am stuck on the very first step. I cannot confirm that I have "Evolution Exchange". I have the default installation of Ubuntu 9.04 which seems to be just plain Evolution. I do not have a plugin for Exchange listed in the plugins.

As a newbie, I have no idea how to install the "Evolution Exchange" version. I am only able to find source code, and was not able to compile it as some libraries are missing. I'm probably going about this all wrong...

Any suggestions, anybody??

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you know if the package "evolution-mapi" is installed? That is the evolution extension for MS Exchange 2007. You can check by going to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, and searching for "evolution-mapi." (Or you can just type "sudo apt-get install evolution-mapi" into a terminal.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that 9.04 supports exchange - it was one of the big feature in 9.04 and as far as I know should work with 2009.

If not then Outlook 2007 works well under wine
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans

OK, I feel like I am getting closer...

I have installed the MAPI plugin.

Now when I try to setup my account in Evolution, I have the option of "Exchange MAPI" for the server type. However, I still can't seem to connect to the server. I have tried the IP addresses (i.e. as numbers rather than names.) This doesn't seem to help. When I try to authenticate the server, there is a LONG delay, and then I get:
    Authentication failed.
    MapiLogonProvider:MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR
    Configuring Outlook to connect to my exchange server was moderately complicated, so I wonder if this all has something to do with how my Exchange server is setup. I have the instructions for setting up Oulook that I got from IT at my University. When I asked for help setting up Evolution they told me that Evolution does not support Exchange 2007. Here are the instructions - maybe someone can figure out how to translate this to Ubuntu...
    Part 1: Add the DNS suffix campus.mcgill.ca (Windows XP or higher)
    1. Right-click on My Network Places and select Properties.
    2. Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties.
    3. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
    4. In the General tab, click Advanced.
    5. In the DNS tab, select Append these DNS suffixes (in order) and click Add.
    6. Type campus.mcgill.ca and click on Add, then OK.
    Part 2 : Configuring Outlook 2003
    1. From My Computer, click on Control Panel and select Mail.
    2. Click on E-mail accounts if available. If not, you will be prompted to create a profile. Click Add.
    3. Choose Add a new e-mail account, and click Next.
    4. Select Microsoft Exchange Server, and click Next.
    5. Fill in the fields:
    Microsoft Exchange Server - 'exchange2vs1.campus.mcgill.ca'
    User Name - enter your name
    6. click More Settings and go to the Connection tab
    7. at the bottom of the Connection tab check "Connect to the Microsoft Exchange Server using HTTP and then click "Exchange Proxy Settings..."
    8. Fill in the fields:
    https://exchange.mcgill.ca
    check "Connect using SSL Only"
    check "On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP
    Proxy authentication settings: NTLM Authentication
    the press OK to go back to the Connection tab then press OK again
    9. Press Check Name. Outlook will attempt to find your email address in the Global Address List (GAL). Note: You must have first published your McGill Email Address in the Staff Directory.
    10. Fill in the appropriate information, depending on which window is displayed:
    User Name - McGill Username (firstname.lastname@mcgill.ca)
    Password - McGill Password
    Domain Name - campus
    11. Click Next and click Yes at the warning message. Click Finish.
    12. Click on E-Mail Accounts again.
    13. Choose View or change existing e-mail account and click Next.
    14. Under Deliver new e-mail to the following location, choose Mailbox - and click Finish.
    15. Click OK at the warning message and close the Mail Setup window.
    Thanks, everyone, for all the help.

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that you could just about do the equivalent of those steps after a bit of pain. First I recommend finding and adding the advanced network preferences tool for the first step.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Evolution won't work, use thunderbird and davmail to connect to exchange 07 here is a link

http://www.brucerenner.org/linux-and-exchange-2007

Good luck, Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast