Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop has locked me out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Laptop has locked me out

Looks like I spoke too soon. Unfortunately that only worked until the next time I booted up, whereupon I had the problem again. I tried that command again:

Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f dbus defaults
    But I got a 'File already exists' message. Dbus was definitely running as I could see it in the booting up screen ('dbus started' or something like that), but the only way I could log in this time was to restart it:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
    That works and I can login, but now I have to do that everytime I boot up my laptop! It is not a massive problem but just a bit annoying.

I tried restoring /etc/init.d/dbus from a backup from a couple of months ago, but that didn't make any difference.

Are there any other dbus files or configuration files that I could restore to put things right?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by pablo180; September 7th, 2009 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Talking Re: Laptop has locked me out

Fixed it! I just restored every backup that I had of the /etc/ folder, one after another. Not sure what it did, but everything is working perfectly again now and my touchpad is working at log in.

Important lesson learned, don't mess with the Services tick boxes, it's just not worth it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12