Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Computer Problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Biggest Computer Problem?

If, like me, you work in the IT industry, or friends, colleagues, associates, friends of friends and family know that you know a little bit about computers, you must get asked loads of questions about their pcs (and practically all of them about their ******* machines too).

I can't be the only one who gets asked all the time. I now don't tell people what I do for a living when I am out and about, as I get asked yet another question. Some times I feel like a car mechanic or doctor who is never off duty.

Here's my top 5 questions......

"My computer at home ...."
    "I know what I meant to ask you ...."
    "Do you know how to ....?"
    "Have you got ....?"
    "Can you have a look at ....?"

And it goes on.

So my biggest, most annoying, most frequent computer problem is .....

... my Dad!!

What's yours?
    Last edited by beercz; February 5th, 2006 at 09:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Biggest Computer Problem?

well lets see... one of my worst experiences was at college. I was known as one of thoes guys who could fix your computer. and my sophomore year I some how ended up on the football players hall. Well these 200-300 pound guys would come knocking on my door and ask me to come fix there computer. Well I'm not going to say NO. So over and over again I would find myself in a room working on a computer that is a piece, surrounded by football players yelling at each other while they play Xbox. On a side note I have nothing against football players, just didn't like working on there computers!
    Do or do not there is no try - Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's not that bad, most people I know are pretty computer-savvy, and those that aren't are pretty reasonable about it.

Still, I'm thinking about getting this, just in case.

Groet, Erik

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by eriqk

Groet, Erik
    I WANT, no NEED one of those!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cleaning up friends/neighbors virus infested machines because they thought they were running antivirus when all they really had were 3 month trial subscriptions. Can be very time consuming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Groet, Erik
    LOL thats great
    Do or do not there is no try - Yoda

Beans

Just two months ago I was helping some of my relatives with their computers. I thought fixing-up my Grandfather's Win95 box would be a nightmare, but the real nightmare turned out to be trying to help my Aunt with her 'MediaCentre XP' or whatever burn a DVD (it seemed to be wretched software, at least what I saw of it; and I suppose the Win95 machine will be too old to be interfered with by most viruses anyways lol).

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Dealing with requests to help people move files around on the Macs at my school (Because my dear school's director has never heard of NAS). And teaching new students to use iMovie.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans

A friend needed to just borrow my internet connection (via ethernet) to send a mail.

His laptop booted to Windows ME, and the nightmare began.. having to reboot with each network config change, crashes if you opened more than one instance of internet exploder etc threw my usual problem-solving skills a bit off...

I write Kupfer, a smart, quick launcher.
    Recommended apps and tools: Vim!

Beans
    Hidden!

i used to have a lot of people in my school asking for my help setting this or that up, but that pretty much stopped this year. i havent used windows on my laptop since June, and any questions that have came up, ive used that as my excuse. "nah sorry man, i havent used windows in a long time, i forget how to do that" always works

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast