Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Browser benchmarks: Linux vs Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Browser benchmarks: Linux vs Windows

Quote Originally Posted by unimatrix View Post
    nvidia-glx-new from the repository
    This will be why - nvidia have been working to fix their drivers after a regression that hit 2d performance in KDE, maybe we're missing something on the render speed of Gnome too? Phoronix is our friend here.

Also, could you repeat the test with the latest alpha? We should look forward as well as back...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I agree strongly that something needs to be about X.org, it is far too slow.

At work I hook up my laptop to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and then click a little button I have which runs
    Code:
    xrandr --auto
    The performance of my laptop slows significantly when hooked up to the monitor, especially firefox.

I have a Dell Latitude D420 (2x1.2GHz 1GB RAM) Using repository intel drivers. Firefox 3.5.2. Debian Lenny (I know this is an ubuntu formum.....but ubuntu is tweaked Debain) X.org version 1.4.2

My Benchmarks for peacekeeper are:
    Stand alone laptop = 562
    Docked laptop = 246

OK so my performance isn't great anyway, but I am taking a 44% hit in performance by changing my 12" laptop screen to a 19" monitor.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow,

based on these peacekeeper benchmarks I suck google chrome on my laptop. I've only tested while docked so far, I'm sufficiently impressed and unless I see any hickups I've changed browser.

Firefox 3.5.2 just laptop = 562
    Firefox 3.5.2 Docked to 19" = 246
    Chrome 4.0.203.2 Docked to 19" = 1443

Goodbye firefox
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates.

Beans

Benchmarks should not be counted on as it really depends on your hardware.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unimatrix View Post
    Except this cannot be the case here, because we're using the same software. Unless you're saying all of them intentionally made those particular benchmarks score higher only on Windows. I find that unlikely.
    You're forgetting the fact that browsers rely on remote procedures as well, inherent to the operating system. It is practically impossible to test the performance of the single application. Not to mention that the execution time can be separated in user time + system time.

You're also underestimating the value of scoring high in performance benchmarks. Companies would do everything to score high and hence get better sales. So yeah, a lot of companies intentionally forge better scores.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

sorry to say what is supposed to be said here
    but using the sunspider (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...sunspider.html) benchmark i found out that the same browsers are slower on my brother's Too-new-to-be-true ultra powerful desktop pc (wired connection)that runs on vista than my not-so-new laptop (wireless) that runs on ubuntu

so i just can't accept that chromium is faster over there than here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mann View Post
    This will be why - nvidia have been working to fix their drivers after a regression that hit 2d performance in KDE, maybe we're missing something on the render speed of Gnome too? Phoronix is our friend here.

Also, could you repeat the test with the latest alpha? We should look forward as well as back...
    I suspected something like this, yes.
    I shall repeat the test tomorrow with the latest drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just got 1683 in Peacekeeper on 3.5.3 Firefox myself. Then again, I have a 3.0 GHz Duo Core and 6 GB of RAM and a GTS 250 Graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A lot of it has to do with how the browser was compiled. Obviously, Windows and Linux use different compilers with different settings, etc.

I have seen benchmarks (on Phornoix I think) where it was shown that running Firefox in WINE was faster than running native Linux Firefox. This shows there is some difference in how the code is compiled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    A lot of it has to do with how the browser was compiled. Obviously, Windows and Linux use different compilers with different settings, etc.

I have seen benchmarks (on Phornoix I think) where it was shown that running Firefox in WINE was faster than running native Linux Firefox. This shows there is some difference in how the code is compiled.
    I've also benchmarked Firefox native and Firefox via Wine get about the same results. The one on Wine is slightly lower. Don't really care what Phoronix says, the fact remains that Firefox on Linux is still very unresponsive and much slower.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast