Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RadeonHD open-source 3D Guide (EXPERIMENTAL)

Beans

Re: RadeonHD open-source 3D Guide (EXPERIMENTAL)

This RadeonHD open-source guide that is referenced here, is it the same thing as the new xf86-video-RadeonHD-1.3.0 that just came out yesterday.
    No, the driver will only provide 2D acceleration for RadeonHD cards. You need a special version of Mesa and a compatible kernel DRM for 3D hardware acceleration.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus108 View Post
    KMS disabled: flawless boot, at login time it starts loading the session but suddenly it falls back to gdm. Trying to switch to tty causes xorg to freeze, giving me something like a static screenshot instead of the login CLI shell.
    Can you log into an 'xterm' session and view/save logs? Note that there were Ubuntu updates to the kernel and Mesa recently (which might have overwritten your custom install), so I would recommend you follow the 'Updating DRM and Mesa' instructions.

KMS enabled...
    What kind of video card do you have? I don't think KMS should be enabled by default for RadeonHD cards. I have a fresh install of Karmic on a system with a RadeonHD 4550 (RV710) and KMS is disabled by default. I have not tried to install 3D support yet (though it worked fine on another Karmic install), but I will soon and let you know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I am still experiencing that problem, I would really like to know if I am not the only one.. I am using a hd3650, which should be supported by the unstable release of these drivers. This is really disappointing, since noone seems to be interested in it. I don't even know who to ask for information or where to submit this "bug". Please, help me

Beans

Bug reports go to freedesktop.org.
    I also find Phoronix.com to be a good source of information.
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; October 13th, 2009 at 10:39 AM.

Beans

The easiest way to get the open-source 3D for r6xx in Karmic is to install your kernel from here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.32-rc3/

and then add the following ppa to you software sources, run update-manager and reboot.

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

edit:

Also independent of video driver there's a bug in Karmic that gives a corrupted tty,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sh/+bug/447775

removing 'splash' from the grub line fixed it for me.
    Last edited by monraaf; October 11th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: RadeonHD open-source 3D Guide (EXPERIMENTAL)

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    The easiest way to get the open-source 3D for r6xx in Karmic is to install your kernel from here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.32-rc3/

and then add the following ppa to you software sources, run update-manager and reboot.

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
    It worked for me, although I'm using the ati driver instead of the radeonhd one. Got compiz and 3d enabled, everything smooth although not perfect (the blur is still not available).

Beans

Probably a stupid question, but will these drivers work on Asus Radeon HD 4850 cards?
    The fglrx driver have never worked as intended on my PC or tv screen.

Beans

They work on my 4550, at least in Jaunty, and apparently, they're now easy to install in Karmic (note that there was an update to the developmemnt kernel today http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.32-rc4/ ).

Beans
    Distro

I'm still on with this so I don't know what the results are going to be yet, fingers crossed. I thought I'd mention that building the kernel modules needed a bit of extra config for me since I've built my own kernel, namely:

Code:
    LINUXDIR=/usr/src/linux make radeon.o drm.o
    --Matt

Beans
    Distro

I'm having some trouble getting this going. I've done the other stuff and now I'm building mesa.

Code:
       -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -std=c99 -ffast-math -fno-strict-aliasing  -fPIC  -DUSE_X86_64_ASM -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPTHREADS -DHAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN -DUSE_EXTERNAL_DXTN_LIB=1 -DIN_DRI_DRIVER -DGLX_DIRECT_RENDERING -DGLX_INDIRECT_RENDERING -DHAVE_ALIAS -DHAVE_LIBDRM_RADEON=1 -I/usr/include/drm   -DRADEON_R600  radeon_screen.c -o radeon_screen.o
    In file included from radeon_bocs_wrapper.h:8,
                     from radeon_common_context.h:20,
                     from radeon_common.h:4,
                     from radeon_screen.c:49:
    /usr/include/drm/radeon_cs.h: In function ‘radeon_cs_set_limit’:
    /usr/include/drm/radeon_cs.h:181: error: ‘RADEON_GEM_DOMAIN_VRAM’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /usr/include/drm/radeon_cs.h:181: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /usr/include/drm/radeon_cs.h:181: error: for each function it appears in.)
    radeon_screen.c: In function ‘radeonGetParam’:
    radeon_screen.c:235: error: variable ‘info’ has initializer but incomplete type
    radeon_screen.c:235: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
    radeon_screen.c:235: warning: (near initialization for ‘info’)
    radeon_screen.c:235: error: storage size of ‘info’ isn’t known
    radeon_screen.c:240: error: ‘RADEON_PARAM_DEVICE_ID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c:241: error: ‘RADEON_INFO_DEVICE_ID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c:244: error: ‘RADEON_INFO_NUM_GB_PIPES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c:246: error: ‘RADEON_PARAM_NUM_Z_PIPES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c:247: error: ‘RADEON_INFO_NUM_Z_PIPES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c:252: error: ‘DRM_RADEON_INFO’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c:235: warning: unused variable ‘info’
    radeon_screen.c: In function ‘radeonCreateScreen’:
    radeon_screen.c:1155: error: ‘RADEON_PARAM_NUM_Z_PIPES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c: In function ‘radeonCreateScreen2’:
    radeon_screen.c:1299: error: ‘RADEON_PARAM_DEVICE_ID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    radeon_screen.c:1361: error: ‘RADEON_PARAM_NUM_Z_PIPES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[5]: *** [radeon_screen.o] Error 1
    Any idea what might be causing it?

--Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast