Thread: rm screw up

Beans

rm screw up

Hey guys,

I have a dual boot with ubuntu 10.04 (ext4) and ubuntu 9.04 (ext3).

On 10.04 I accidentally deleted a whole bunch of files with the rm command. I installed extundelete in 9.04 which can undelete from ext4 file systems. However, I can't access my 10.04 home directory in 9.04, as /media/disk/home/asdf is empty except for two files README.txt and Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop. I didn't delete all of it for sure.

Does anyone know how to make my 10.04 home directory visible in 9.04 so I can undelete?

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: rm screw up

The docs say that your encrypted private directory is in ~/.Private. Activate the view of hidden files (select item `Show Hidden files' from the menu `View' in a nautilus window) and then cd to your home directory.

NB: The link has also information on how to mount the encrypted filesystem in case of emergencies; like the one you are now in.

Now if it happened that you did rm-ed your entire enctrypted fs, then use your undelete on the (now empty) home folder.
    Last edited by gzarkadas; June 21st, 2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added more info
    To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.
    Free Software - Free Society | The GNU Project | FSF | ESP

Beans

Thanks.

I have managed to view my encrypted home folder on a a live cd, and it is not all deleted. However, my undelete tool extundelete, fails to see anything in that folder. Anyone else got alternative ext4 undelete tools that might work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

See the tools mentioned in this post.
    To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.
    Free Software - Free Society | The GNU Project | FSF | ESP