Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't GNOME/KDE/others use a seperate icon filetype?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Why don't GNOME/KDE/others use a seperate icon filetype?

Why limit yourself to the finite number of sizes you can stick in an ico file, when you can use an svg and have any and every size, with no increased demand on memory?

Multiple size directories with png's are easily dealt with a script, and perform the same thing as having multiple sizes in an ico file, without having a specialized editor/file format.

I guess I just don't see what advantage there is to something like an ico format.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I like how it is now. Morely (is that word?) because I custom diffrent sets of icons depending on their sizes. I uses diffren types of icons for 16x16 and 22x22 because (most) stylish icons looks bad at that size. Therefore changed them to something simpler and cleaner for that sizes.

Here's what I'm talking about; http://www.imageviper.com/displayima...-290809-02.png
    Note the system tray icons. They are simple compared the rest.
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; September 2nd, 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Vector graphics, by definition, scale infinitely
    In the context of vectors, yes.

But as those vectors must be rasterized, you bump into the problem of aliasing at smaller sizes. That's what I mean when I say "well enough", the smaller sizes occasionally leave a little something to be desired.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Fzang View Post
    If your system runs slower because it has to render .ico instead of .svg you really really REALLY need a new computer. 1 MB more or less system-wide does not matter in 2009.

And I don't know what's meant with "special editor". It's only special because no one has made it yet. Mac OS comes with all the tools (except an actual image editor like PS or GIMP) to view icons in different sizes and compose them together. Windows fails with the preinstalled software, like always.

I don't see why these "special editors" are somehow impossible to develop for Linux.
    Never assume that a megabyte means nothing in any day and age. Being efficient means being supportive of more platforms.

Those special editors are in no way impossible, and no one made that claim. The question is: Why bother when the current system works just dandy and with less effort?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thats what anti-aliasing is all about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by insane_alien View Post
    thats what anti-aliasing is all about.
    But it makes things look blurry, especially at small sizes. See for example http://www.firewheeldesign.com/spark..._vs_vector.php

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    In the context of vectors, yes.

But as those vectors must be rasterized, you bump into the problem of aliasing at smaller sizes. That's what I mean when I say "well enough", the smaller sizes occasionally leave a little something to be desired.
    That is when ya need to get a bigger & better LCD panel, grasshopper. That ain't a problem with your SVG icons, that is a hardware limitation imposed on them.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    That is when ya need to get a bigger & better LCD panel, grasshopper. That ain't a problem with your SVG icons, that is a hardware limitation imposed on them.
    Alternatively, I could just not wear my glasses. Then they'd be blurry at every size and I'd have no reason to complain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I know Haiku has a vector format which is optimized to be efficient for small images. One of the developers put it this way (more or less, I can't remember exactly how he phrased it.) "If you use it for icons, it's fine, but if you use it for anything big with lots of detail, it's going to suck, big time." It was in a Google Tech Talk video, you could look it up if you wanted to.

So there's a pre-existing format for these.

However, I think that, in most cases, the benefits of using an existing standard outweigh the benefits of creating "yet another format." And with OpenVG soon to be hardware-accelerated in many video drivers, the overhead of rendering SVG will soon be negligible.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Mark76 View Post
    I'd like to know why they don't just use .svgs by default and get rid of all those redundant .png and .xpm icons in different sizes.
    Because scaling an svg to small sizes looks like CRAP.
    Last edited by days_of_ruin; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:30 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast