Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

wow i was included in the survey - did you include that thread for some specific reason or by chance?
    (who thought my post was rude? i can be ruder to him if he likes )

edit : by the way i completed the survey as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That was a really cool survey, it really made me think about politeness in a way I hadn't before, I always try to be as polite as possible in asking for help and now that I actually compared the different methods people used I can see what actually worked nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, done. For people like myself (English not being our native language), this is interesting. I often ask myself whether someone is being impolite with me or not. Or whether myself I'm being (unintentionally) rude or not.

Out of curiosity: the last post (" it's a popular question but it doesn't make it a bad one..."), is a fake post, isn't it? I mean, nobody can be so forgiving, can he?
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Anyone else worried they were going to show up in one of the threads?

Edit: Haha I see chriskin was now, can't remember if the post was rude or not though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Interesting survey!
    Are you going to post stats or any results from it? It'd be interesting to see what other people say.

Also, I have to agree about the quiz page itself. Very cool setup.

Beans

I recognized chriskin immediately, was like.. "wow, these are real posts!" my answer to that is confidential

I admit, I've taken a linguistics course before so I might be a tainted sample

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    I enjoyed using it too; it's simple and well designed. Would you be interested in making it available under a free software license?
    I too, would like to see it under a free software license.

Beans

Wow, thanks for all the feedback and the participation, this is amazing!

Would you be interested in making it available under a free software license?
    Interesting idea - I'm a bit afraid that the code is not "pretty", as this is my first try on python, and that the use case is very specific - but if people still find it useful, why not. I'm still developing the analytic part, though, and it will have to wait till I handed in the paper in November.

it really made me think about politeness in a way I hadn't before,
    I often ask myself whether someone is being impolite with me or not. Or whether myself I'm being (unintentionally) rude or not.
    That is the same for me, too. There are many theories and frameworks looking at verbal behavior, but in the end I always find it fascinating how different we all perceive certain things. And that is why communication in an international community is so interesting, but also so challenging.

Out of curiosity: the last post (" it's a popular question but it doesn't make it a bad one..."), is a fake post, isn't it?
    Nope, all 100% original posts

who thought my post was rude? i can be ruder to him if he likes
    Yep, there is always room for more

Are you going to post stats or any results from it? It'd be interesting to see what other people say.
    Definitely - I'm actually looking into a way to make some simple "live" statistics available soon, and of course the final results will be available as well.

I admit, I've taken a linguistics course before so I might be a tainted sample
    As I'm interested in individual perception, it shouldn't matter that much - as long as you did not let the linguist in you take over completely

Thanks so much for the interest, this is really great!

Beans
    Hidden!

How soon until we get to see the code? I suggest github or gitorious for code hosting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thoroughly enjoyed that survey. It provided excellent examples of posts that are rude, posts that are polite, and posts that fall between rude and polite. I also liked the fact that the posts were not fabricated; however, I think it would have been better if the usernames had been altered to protect the identities of the original posters.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast