Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

Beans

Re: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

Just another quick update of the rough stats: http://blog.openinformation.org/atti...de-static.html

The response has been lower as compared to first day, but that was to be expected. Personally I'm still stunned by the incredible high percentage of people completing the survey - 85%! Wohoo, you rock

I did not find time to compile other distributions, but with regard to countries it nice to see that Germany is catching up

Thanks to all participants - and spread the word!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do participants need to be members of this forum? I know of one or two people who might be interested but haven't joined the forums.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Do participants need to be members of this forum?
    Ideally, yes

Mainly because then I can be sure that they

• have an idea about Linux
    • have an idea about Ubuntu
    • have an idea about Free Software
    • have some experience in interacting with the Ubuntu community

This is important, as the content of the survey is very specific to the Ubuntu community and its culture. I run beta tests with Non-Ubuntu/Linux people, and they often found it hard to rate posts because they did not really understand the content and/or the context.

But if you know people that are involved with Ubuntu as described above but simply do not have an account at ubuntuforums.org, that would be perfectly fine!

I know of one or two people who might be interested but haven't joined the forums.
    Thank you very much for the consideration I hope didn't bore/scare you with my nitpicking and you have a better idea now what would be important for potential participants.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aguafuertes View Post
    Ideally, yes

Mainly because then I can be sure that they

• have an idea about Linux
    • have an idea about Ubuntu
    • have an idea about Free Software
    • have some experience in interacting with the Ubuntu community

This is important, as the content of the survey is very specific to the Ubuntu community and its culture. I run beta tests with Non-Ubuntu/Linux people, and they often found it hard to rate posts because they did not really understand the content and/or the context.

But if you know people that are involved with Ubuntu as described above but simply do not have an account at ubuntuforums.org, that would be perfectly fine!

Thank you very much for the consideration I hope didn't bore/scare you with my nitpicking and you have a better idea now what would be important for potential participants.
    I think I get your point, and I hadn't thought of it that way. If I've got it right, knowing the forum culture is an important part of it. The people I had in mind don't spend much time reading the forums.

My son is doing a PhD and had been a bit concerned about getting enough respondents to a survey he's doing, which is what prompted me to ask.

Beans

Just another quick update of the rough stats: http://blog.openinformation.org/atti...de-static.html

The response has been lower as compared to first day, but that was to be expected. Personally I'm still stunned by the incredible high percentage of people completing the survey - 85%! Wohoo, you rock

I did not find time to compile other distributions, but with regard to countries it nice to see that Germany is catching up

Thanks to all participants - and spread the word!
    What does your statistic show? Country of birth, mother tongue or the country of present residence?
    Regards

longtom

Beans

If I've got it right, knowing the forum culture is an important part of it
    It is certainly the ideal case, as it allows you to take some things for granted - and to focus on the features that are at the core of your research question.

My son is doing a PhD and had been a bit concerned about getting enough respondents to a survey he's doing, which is what prompted me to ask.
    Yes, that is often a big problem that we also see at our faculty. For a PhD project this is even worse, as the sample has to be larger. Did he find enough participants?

Beans

What does your statistic show? Country of birth, mother tongue or the country of present residence?
    Only Country of birth at the moment - I hope to find some time to put more general stats online. I cannot put any stats regarding to the research question online before the survey is closed and I did the analysis, however.

But I still find these general stats interesting, with regards to how diverse the Ubuntu community is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, that is often a big problem that we also see at our faculty. For a PhD project this is even worse, as the sample has to be larger. Did he find enough participants?
    I think he did, though I'd need to check. I do know that he still has some other options he can use if he needs to. If I sound a bit vague, it's because I don't know how much he wants made public at this stage.

Beans

because I don't know how much he wants made public at this stage
    Right, sometimes that has to be considered as well, especially for PhD research. Good luck to him!

Beans

Hello everybody,

just a quick stats update, with more trivia: http://blog.openinformation.org/atti...de-static.html

Total number is now 146, completion rate has dropped a little, but is still > 80%!

If you haven't taken it, here is the link to the survey and the screencast:

http://attitude.openinformation.org/survey/start/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-T64MT5Gp8

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast