Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

Beans

Re: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasAWh View Post
    IN AMERICA WE SPEAK AMERICAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olf-ObGcNt8

LOL - never thought that one could put that much "America" in 5 minutes.

You release that source code yet?
    Nope, still tied up in my basement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Interesting that none of the posts (in the survey) were moderated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Flimm View Post
    Well, I'm not sure how to answer this.

First, some time ago, aguafuertes asked for an access to jail to review threads that were removed for language and communications problems. It took a long time for us to finally deny jail access, for obvious reasons. In particular, threads in jail are directly confrontational, most of them infracted, and that would breach the members privacy regarding infractions and/or threads that are better gone and forgotten.
    aguafuertes redesigned his proposal and we were all ok with it.

He could choose any thread from the public area. No feedback or "censorship" from us whatsoever.

I'm sure there are many threads/posts here that go below the radar, because we cannot read everything and they did not get reported. Such is life.

imho, the threads from the survey did not deserve any staff action and I did not think one minute about going back and cleaning them. But I'm mostly of the mellow kind
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

bapoumba already explained how the threads were chosen (thanks!), and I'm actually quite happy that I had to redesign my proposal. I believe that the great majority of interactions, in which we'd label someone as "rude", is not of the extreme kind. I rather believe that in most cases, there are little details that make us perceive something as rude. And I definitely believe that in a international setting like ubuntuforums.org, these details will be "amplified", as many people don't use their mother tongue.

This is what makes the moderator job so hard - people with different perceptions communicating. I want to show how different many posts can be perceived, even if the user had only one intention. And in most of these cases, I believe, being rude is not intentional.

imho, the threads from the survey did not deserve any staff action.
    I agree - from my point of view these threads are examples of miscommunication, but not of escalation. If moderators had to intervene in any thread where people have misunderstandings, it would be an impossible job. It is already tough arbitrating the extreme cases, where people with different understanding of humor, sarcasm and politeness each may have their valid points. But in these cases, the communication simply "died" without somebody personally affected - people walked away.

and I did not think one minute about going back and cleaning them.
    Yep, why stir up somethig that did not end in conflict. Actually I was a bit afraid that this survey might have this effect, but so far responses have been only positive, even from someone whose post is actually in the survey.

I'm mostly of the mellow kind
    Sounds like a good informal conclusion: we all should be more mellow

Beans

Wow - last night the number of participants who completed the survey really broke the 300 barrier! This community is amazing

The stats: http://blog.openinformation.org/atti...de-static.html

I've decided to run the survey 4 days longer, until September 30, so if you are interested and have not taken it yet, here are the links:

Survey: http://attitude.openinformation.org/survey/start/
    Screencast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-T64MT5Gp8

Just rate, mark and comment the single posts and complete the survey - that's all

Thanks to all participants!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    First, some time ago, aguafuertes asked for an access to jail to review threads that were removed for language and communications problems. It took a long time for us to finally deny jail access, for obvious reasons. In particular, threads in jail are directly confrontational, most of them infracted, and that would breach the members privacy regarding infractions and/or threads that are better gone and forgotten.
    aguafuertes redesigned his proposal and we were all ok with it.

He could choose any thread from the public area. No feedback or "censorship" from us whatsoever.
    Fair enough. I would have included moderated posts in the survey, but I see your reasoning now and accept the decision.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

done and done!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    I'd be really interested in knowing why you want to know how long I've lived in the US but not in any other countries of the world.
    Many, if not most Europeans think that US citizens are much more rude than any other english speakers.

The local slangs also contribute to a different perception of rudeness and coolness.

PS: I don't want to insult anyone, this is a clear and quite common perception we get by this side of the atlantic ocean.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bruno9779 View Post
    Many, if not most Europeans think that US citizens are much more rude than any other english speakers.
    it's true.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bruno9779 View Post
    The local slangs also contribute to a different perception of rudeness and coolness.
    +1: There are other threads which mention differences in idiom and how it can contribute to misunderstanding.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast