Thread: using different desktops Gnome, KDE, etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

using different desktops Gnome, KDE, etc

Ok I have an install of Ubuntu using Gnome Desktop. I was wondering if I decided to install KDE, or other window managers will it affect my files customizations, etc?? Basically I am asking if I can run all desktops.
    System Specs: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 3.0GHrz dual-core, XFX GeForce 8200 MB, 3.0GB DDR2, GeForce 9800GT 1024MB graphics card, 320GB hdd, 620GB hdd, Coolmaster CM690 case, Ubuntu 11.04 Ubuntu # 28694

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: using different desktops Gnome, KDE, etc

Yes, you should be able to try different desktop environments with no problem.

You just need to install kubuntu-desktop, for example, for KDE.
    Code:
    /* ZephyrCat
     * Ubuntu 9.04 and various other OSs :-)
     * LinuxLoop.com
     */

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by stalkier View Post
    Ok I have an install of Ubuntu using Gnome Desktop. I was wondering if I decided to install KDE, or other window managers will it affect my files customizations, etc?? Basically I am asking if I can run all desktops.
    Well,I can tell only you what I did, I installed XFCE 4 over my hardy gnome desktop using synaptic package manager and chose XFCE session and every thing in gnome was still there and I could either choose Gnome or XFCE!!! I have not tried KDE but what I had noticed is that XFCE makes my machine run faster and Every thing ( all apps I installed in gnome are still there and work) the only thing that is different is the file manager ( thunar ) which is not as robust as (nautilus)...That being said, I love the fact that you can switch desktops with the same operating system!!!! something you CAN NOT DO WITH WINDOWS!!!

Live long and prosper
    Peace and long life
    Last edited by sargetech; September 2nd, 2009 at 03:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by stalkier View Post
    Ive done it, its easy to install and worth trying out:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

It makes everything a little bit slower but its hardly noticeable. Its also easy to remove KDE again:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

The only thing I had to do after removing KDE was reinstall Skype and Xine Player from the repos and that was it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I will tell you my experience in running gnome and kde, seems like mine is a little bit different.

First off I will say I prefer Gnome over KDE as far as looks. However KDE does have some applications that I love dearly, one of which is KGet.

Anyway, if you have any native KDE applications running on your gnome enviroment then those applications will take on the KDE settings (as far as themes and looks) which if you have your KDE and Gnome looking completely different then it will become an eye sore.

To make it more clear, in KDE I had a very red theme going on, and in Gnome I have a dark black theme. I have uninstalled KDE since then, but my KGet and a few other programs I had from KDE still working on my gnome side come out to be the red theme I had on my KDE.
    Our only ignorance is our own intelligence
    Linux Is not Windows | Atheros 5007 Wifi Chipset Hardy (8.04LTS) Install|
    Linux user number 479043 | Ubuntu User number is # 24065

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Feel free to try KDE,XFce,Etc... just make sure when you clear the ones you don't like use this code
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove KDE-Desktop
    I use XFce and Gnome I'd highly recommend XFce

RYAN.WDZIECZNY