Thread: Wireless N speeds?

Beans

Wireless N speeds?

Hi guys, I have a Wireless WiFi Link 5100 using iwlagn,iwlcore,mac80211 modules and i'm using gnome's network manager to connect to my network. I have wireless N and can use it on this laptop when i'm booted into windows (dual boot) and I can't seem to get the wireless N speeds while i'm in ubuntu. Does it not support N speeds or am I doing something wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless N speeds?

Some drivers don't automatically pick the quickest Bit Rate available when connecting, so check the following: after connecting to your network, open up a terminal and run iwconfig and check the Bit Rate setting, if it's lower than what you require, you can use sudo iwconfig <interface_logical_name> rate xxxM to update it to use higher rates.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maherjimmy View Post
    Hi Everyone..

I have a new IBM ThinkPad with an Intel Pro 2100 LAN card installed. I use a
    Linksys Access Point and have sucessfully connected a desk top to
    the wireless network. However, the laptop will not connect. I tried using
    Windows to connect, but the network appears to be a conflict with the wireless card. In the Network Connections
    It shows "Not Connected". The ipconfig shows Media disconnected. IBM has
    replaced the card and the motherboard, but still no connectivity. I disabled
    the security on the access point but still no connectivity. The error
    message says "waiting for IP configuration" when I try to connect.

Anyone with any ideas?
    why are you hijacking my thread?

anyways.. i tried that, the highest i can get up to is this "iwconfig wlan0 rate 60M", anything higher and it says 'Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20)'

help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You cannot use it to pick arbitrary rates. Try running sudo iwlist scanning first and then see the bit rates your AP is providing and try changing into one of those. For instance, my AP (only 802.11a/b/g), gives the following rates (and trying to set anything between them will give the same error message as you had):

Code:
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
              9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
              48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRain0 View Post
    why are you hijacking my thread?

anyways.. i tried that, the highest i can get up to is this "iwconfig wlan0 rate 60M", anything higher and it says 'Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20)'

help?
    sneaky spam - post and come back later with spam in their sig

Beans

Hm.. this makes no sense. Do I have to do something to enable the N speeds?

On my N network it says this:
    Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s 36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

And you can see it's the higher freq. one so it should be fast
    Frequency:5.805 GHz (Channel 161)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You should check on you routers configuration page (some say what speed you're connected at). I was getting the same thing when I looked at the bit rates for my router, but when I looked at the router's page it said that I was getting over 100 Mb/s. I'm also using iwlagn but with intel 4965 ag(n). I'm not sure but your card may be newer than mine so if you are not connected at N speeds it might just be a matter of time.

What I think is happening is that some of the networking tools haven't been fully updated to incorporate wireless N and others are showing it in a strange way, for example network-manager only shows my connection as high as 60 Mb/s. I guess what I'm trying to say is, wireless N support is still being worked on so things like this are to be expected.

Beans

@threetwoone

I have the same wireless card and iwlist is only showing 54 max (network manager the same, although I swear I've seen 60 at some point).

Same machine, booted into windows 7 is showing 130... so is it as simple as you say that it is connecting at these higher speeds and the tools just aren't smart enough?

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu seems to have problems with N speed. Seems like a problem that needs to be addressed, especially with the release of Windows 7 fairly soon. Its been a problem for a long time now though