Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to know the recent number of ubuntu users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Want to know the recent number of ubuntu users

Quote Originally Posted by Schendje View Post
    Not to mention that there are plenty of people who don't access the Internet. Or Google.
    true, even though their numbers are kind of really low, not counting them wouldn't change the numbers too much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

there are exactly 15 ubuntu users in teh whole world
    ---
    Sys76 Gazelle Pro: i7-4700MQ // 16 gig RAM // 240 gig mSATA + 1T // SS 13.10
    Home Built Desktop: i7 920 // 16 gig RAM // DX58SO // Thermaltake850 // ATI4870 // SS13.10&Vista64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by itendo View Post
    there are exactly 15 ubuntu users in teh whole world
    is that meant to be funny?

Beans
    Hidden!

If you want to get a idea look at Fedora's Statistics, I mean isn't the number of Ubuntu users supposed to be higher then Fedora?

Fedora's Statistics:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stati...uses_Fedora.3F
    ("TOTAL UNIQUE IPs: 15,032,674") - Currently anyway. According to them, odds are there are more, just hiding. ^.^
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Schendje View Post
    Not to mention that there are plenty of people who don't access the Internet. Or Google.
    I realize all the disadvantages but just because its not 100% accurate, is it better with nothing?

Not even calling home with a unique ID for the software installation is 100% accurate since it would count every fresh install as a new ubuntu user.

No method will really be accurate but much better than the 2% that gets quoted everywhere. I believe the number is much higher in reality if the number would include everything from servers to home users.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    If you want to get a idea look at Fedora's Statistics, I mean isn't the number of Ubuntu users supposed to be higher then Fedora?

Fedora's Statistics:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stati...uses_Fedora.3F
    ("TOTAL UNIQUE IPs: 15,032,674") - Currently anyway. According to them, odds are there are more, just hiding. ^.^
    Dynamic IP addresses makes those number inaccurate right away, as well as users doing fresh installs. And it doesnt take into account people who no longer use Fedora. Their counter seems to be a all time counter with a long history? So everybody who simply tries it ends up as a user in that statistics forever.

But they are probably not too far off from the truth. They probably have at least 10 million users.
    Last edited by Copernicus1234; August 31st, 2009 at 05:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus1234 View Post
    Dynamic IP addresses makes those number inaccurate right away. But they are probably not too far off from the truth.
    From Fedora:
    " Accuracy of metrics

The numbers above for yum represent unique IP addresses that reach our update server, not simply downloads. We believe it is reasonable to equate a "new IP address checking in" with "a new installation of Fedora", with the following caveats:

1. Users who have dynamic IP addresses will likely be counted multiple times, which inflates the number by some amount.
    2. Users who are behind NAT or corporate proxies will not be counted at all.

The anecdotal evidence that we receive from different groups, companies, and organizations suggests that group (2) is significantly larger than group (1). As such, we believe that the true numbers in the field are higher than the numbers on this page. "
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post

may as well make it a significant number in computing xD
    and the next new user will reset the counter to 0 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I thing ubuntu must send an update to all its users and count how much users have downloaded this update in order to have a more presised number of users , I think fedora has done this before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by delphiexile View Post
    I thing ubuntu must send an update to all its users and count how much users have downloaded this update in order to have a more presised number of users , I think fedora has done this before.
    Why bother? How would that benefit anyone? Besides, as noted above, computers behind corporate proxies will not be counted, thus making the number worthless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast