Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to know the recent number of ubuntu users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Want to know the recent number of ubuntu users

Hi;

Could you tell me the exact number of ubuntu users today (because 8 million was counted on 12-17-2008).

and Thank you so much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Want to know the recent number of ubuntu users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

how is that even counted? by downloads? by browsers?
    none of them are to be taken for real :O

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

They all dual boot a *lot* of different distros.

Beans

There is no way to accurately measure how many people have Ubuntu.

What they should've done is make Ubuntu phone home with a unique installation ID every once in a while... But many people in the Linux community would cry like babies if they felt that someone was 'spying' on them

Not every computer is hooked up to the Internet, so calling home wouldn't count every computer but that would be the best way to get a close idea of how many people are actually using Ubuntu at any point in time.
    Last edited by Johnsie; August 31st, 2009 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post

What they should've done is make Ubuntu phone home with a unique installation ID every once in a while... But many people in the Linux community would cry like babies if they felt that someone was 'spying' on them

Not every computer is hooked up to the Internet, so calling home wouldn't count every computer but that would be the best way to get a close idea of how many people are actually using Ubuntu at any point in time.
    we can always use the system testing feature at system/admin if we want to be counted , but many people would just forget or avoid it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post

You can also see it on web site statistics since the browser gives away the operating system.

Would love to have Googles statistics on operating systems used to access www.google.com. They probably would have the most accurate statistics. But there doesnt seem to be any stats publicly available except Google Trends, which shows that Linux and Ubuntu are now very popular search words and increasing.

I wouldnt mind ubuntu calling home and reporting usage. Having public, accurate stats can only help the linux community. Make it part of the update service. I mean, I dont want to give stats to Microsoft to help them increase their market share, but I would like to do it for Canonical. I dont see any reason not to.
    Last edited by Copernicus1234; August 31st, 2009 at 05:16 PM.

Beans

may as well make it a significant number in computing xD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus1234 View Post
    You can also see it on web site statistics since the browser gives away the operating system.

Would love to have Googles statistics on operating systems used to access www.google.com. They probably would have the most accurate statistics. But there doesnt seem to be any stats publicly available except Google Trends, which shows that Linux and Ubuntu are now very popular search words and increasing.

I wouldnt mind ubuntu calling home and reporting usage. Having public, accurate stats can only help the linux community. Make it part of the update service. I mean, I dont want to give stats to Microsoft to help them increase their market share, but I would like to do it for Canonical. I dont see any reason not to.
    web site statistics are not worthy, many people use browser plugins that make their browser look like internet explorer to gain access to many features, making the pc to be counted as windows at the web statistics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by chriskin View Post
    web site statistics are not worthy, many people use browser plugins that make their browser look like internet explorer to gain access to many features, making the pc to be counted as windows at the web statistics.
    Not to mention that there are plenty of people who don't access the Internet. Or Google.
    Laptop: Intel Core2 Duo T9300 / 4GB RAM + 200GB HDD / Nvidia Quadro FX 750M @ 512 MB
    HTPC: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / 1GB RAM + 1.2TB HDD / Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS @ 256 MB

<3 Ubuntu // new? start here! // read this and use Google before posting //

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast