Thread: thinkfinger installed, fingerprint acquired, but nothing works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thinkfinger installed, fingerprint acquired, but nothing works

I have a dell XPS m1530, and I've been trying to get the fingerprint scanner to work. I've followed the instructions on these pages:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...kFinger#Jaunty

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinkFinger

I have installed all the libraries and such, and successfully acquired and verified my print. I tried to edit the common-auth file to add the two lines they say, but whenever I did that I couldn't start Synaptic (used to test it). Changing the file back made it work fine, although I had to put in my password. I'm usuing 9.04, so I also tried using the 'enable' command instead of editing that file, but it still doesn't work. I have also tried the '--acquire $USERNAME' from thinkwiki. I am at a point where my print works if I use the verify command, but whenever I am prompted for a password (ex: starting synaptic) I can't use my finger to log in. Is there something I am missing to link my fingerprint with my password?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: thinkfinger installed, fingerprint acquired, but nothing works

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I need help with this, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Come on! Hasn't somebody gotten this to work?

Beans

I think that thinkfinger is designed for Thinkpads, which a Dell is not. However, I do not know very well. I have a thinkpad t43 with a fingerprint reader, but because of what I believe to be hardware issues, it doesn't work (I got the computer used, so I have no clue what happened to it before I got it).
    The world only has as much power over you as you let it have. -camper365
    Dell Latitude D630 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo, Nvidia Quadro 135M 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, Ubuntu Studio Precise
    Linux user #489864 Ubuntu user #27303

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

http://itsanimesh.com/2009/01/11/del...ader-in-linux/

Try this link. It's for Hardy but it should work for Jaunty as well if you change the sources. Give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was directed to ThinkFinger by a few different webpages about Ubuntu on the Dell XPS M1530 (including the Ubuntu wiki article "Installing Ubuntu on a Dell XPS M1530"). Also, the Ubuntu wiki article on ThinkFinger says that it is a driver for "SGS Thomson Microelectronics fingerprint reader that you can find on most Lenovo/Thinkpad, Dell and Toshiba." I would think that it would work, especially since I was able to install it and register my fingerprint. My only problem is getting the driver to associate with the password prompts.

Is there any way to find out exactly what model fingerprint reader I have on my computer?

EDIT: Sorry, Ash. Didn't see your post before I typed this one out. By changing the sources would you mean just change the word "intrepid" to "jaunty" for the first step?
    Last edited by LifeEnemy; September 20th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinhgtx View Post
    http://itsanimesh.com/2009/01/11/del...ader-in-linux/

Try this link. It's for Hardy but it should work for Jaunty as well if you change the sources. Give it a try.
    I used that guide and it works great now. Thanks!