Thread: pidgin - how to UNHIDE (show) buddy icon in chat window?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy pidgin - how to UNHIDE (show) buddy icon in chat window?

on pidgin, when chatting with a contact, in the top right there is a buddy icon - whatever buddy sets as their icon shows up for me to see. if i right-click on it, i can select "Hide Icon" - but how do i get it back??? i tried right-clicking in the area and searching through menus, but can't find an "Unhide Icon" or "Show Icon" option anywhere. it's almost as if it's a one-way deal - once the icon is hidden, it's not possible to show it???

anyone know what i can do?

here's a pic of one chat window with the icon showing, and the other with the icon missing (either i hid it once or somehow the system isn't showing it)

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: pidgin - how to UNHIDE (show) buddy icon in chat window?

If I hide the icon, close the chat window, and open a new, its there again.. ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    If I hide the icon, close the chat window, and open a new, its there again.. ?
    nope. restarting pidgin doesn't help either. i may try to remove / purge / reinstall, but i find that sometimes purge doesn't REALLY purge the configs.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bluepowder7 View Post
    nope. restarting pidgin doesn't help either. i may try to remove / purge / reinstall, but i find that sometimes purge doesn't REALLY purge the configs.
    rather than purging, have a look at them. Piding config files are in ~/.purple
    You can edit those XMLs with gedit, perhaps you can see the setting there and solve it?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    rather than purging, have a look at them. Piding config files are in ~/.purple
    You can edit those XMLs with gedit, perhaps you can see the setting there and solve it?
    i can see the settings for the contact list and icon, but i can't figure out what the "code" should be - i mean, it ought to be pulling the image from the server / service, so that when my contact updates it on their side, it show the updated one on my side too.

here's a snippet of one of the config XML files (i've XXX'd the names for privacy)

the SECOND buddy is showing his/her icon, and has the massive long 55e860.....png code there along with the icon checksum. the FIRST buddy doesn't show the icon even though i know he/she has one, and the config file has neither the .png or checksum lines.

Code:
    <contact>
    <buddy account='ME_XXX@hotmail.com' proto='prpl-msn'>
    <name>BUDDY_1_XXX@msn.com</name>
    <setting name='last_seen' type='int'>1251617767</setting>
    <setting name='show_offline' type='bool'>1</setting>
    </buddy>
    	<setting name='gtk-mute-sound' type='bool'>0</setting>
    	<setting name='pidgin-infopane-iconsize' type='int'>96</setting>
    </contact>

<contact>
    <buddy account='ME_XXX@hotmail.com' proto='prpl-msn'>
    <name>BUDDY_2_XXX@hotmail.com</name>
    <alias>XXXXXXX</alias>
    <setting name='buddy_icon' type='string'>55e860ef842cf6577755daa539f8c6651b86d0b1.png</setting>
    <setting name='icon_checksum' type='string'>gHCyJvHSWBdHpOjPH+e99I5pwHw=</setting>
    <setting name='last_seen' type='int'>1251603527</setting>
    </buddy>
    	<setting name='gtk-mute-sound' type='bool'>0</setting>
    	<setting name='pidgin-infopane-iconsize' type='int'>32</setting>
    </contact>

Beans
    Hidden!

Well.. I see one has an icon size of 32 and the other of 96. Have you tried changing that?

Not a very elegant solution either, but perhaps you can remove him/her, and add him/her again?

Either way, this is messing, Id file a bug report at the pidgin developpers or even on launchpad as pidgin is ubuntu supported. You shouldn't have to mess like that.

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: pidgin - how to UNHIDE (show) buddy icon in chat window?

Did anything ever come of this; does anybody know how to unhide the icons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i'm on Pidgin 2.6.2 and after hiding the icon, i closed and then opened the chat window and it reappeared. this is a bit weird but at least the icon is shown again.