Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Test: Mound Data Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Help Test: Mound Data Manager

Over the past month or so I've been writing an application that can manage application data. It can take snapshots of data that your applications store, revert, and delete the stored data. For example, you could store a snapshot of your Firefox profile, and when something goes wrong, revert back to it. It works very well with games: if you mess up one of your save files or settings you can just revert the data for that game.

It's called Mound Data Manager, and here is a nice pretty screenshot (0.3.99):

When run, Mound will look for a line in application desktop files labeled X-UserData and parse it to figure out where data for that application is stored in the home folder. If it can't find that line, it will fall back to an entry in /etc/userdata which is installed when Mound is installed.

For example, a userdata line for Firefox would be:
    firefox ~/.mozilla/firefox

That data is then able to be managed using snapshots and other small features. Snapshots are taken using tar, so it should be pretty robust.

Here's where I need some help: I've tested with with a nice range of applications and conditions, but that obviously won't cover everything.
    There are thousands of applications in the repositories, and it can't cover everything. It would be nice to see applications ship with X-UserData entries in their desktop files, but that's not a great short-term solution (especially with a product so young). Mound needs to ship more entries in the supplied /etc/userdata file. So, if you notice that an application you use doesn't show up in Mound, let me know what the appropriate UserData line would be.

I'd also appreciate testing of Mound's features. Things it should be able to do:
    • Take new snapshots
    • Revert to previous snapshots
    • Export snapshots
    • Import snapshots
    • Delete snapshots
    • Delete application data (see Application menu)
    • Show application details (see Application menu)
    • Prevent an application from being managed while it is still running
    • Not crash (haven't found one crasher yet, but you never know)

Translations are also very welcome, and can be done on Launchpad: https://translations.launchpad.net/mound

Download: https://launchpad.net/mound/+download (must install to use for the first time)
    PPA: https://launchpad.net/~jpeddicord/+archive/mound (single package: mound-data-manager)

I'd appreciate if bugs were filed on Launchpad, but I'll be active in this thread as well.

Changelog of new features:
    Code:
        * 0.4 RC
        * Several performance & bug fixes
        * Translatable

* 0.4 series beta 1
        * New UI that makes better use of space, thanks ~rugby417 and ~laudeci
          for their suggestions and contributions
        * Importing/exporting of snapshots now works
        * Launchpad menu items available
        * More default userdata additions
        * Fix: XDG environment variables were ignored
        * Fix: load applications from all XDG data directories
        * Fix: Applications were sorted in a weird way, now alphabetical

* Bugfix release for Jaunty

* First (non-preview) release
        * Added Details menu item for extra information about the selected app
        * Baobab integration
    Posted also on http://jacob.peddicord.net/2009/09/m...a-manager.html (Planet Ubuntu) with some more technical details.

Hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by jpeddicord; October 25th, 2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: 0.3.99 released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Help test: Mound Data Manager

SWEET! I am definitely going to try this soon, if it works it would be awesome!

One thing though. Is this the kind of thing where it either works or it doesn't? Or is it the kind of thing where it either works or it destroys everything? As a developer, you'd have a pretty good idea of whether the kind of operations being done by your program introduce potential for clobberage.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sounds like a great idea jacobmp92.

wILL TRY AND TEST.

Thanks.

Sorry about the caps lock thing.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    One thing though. Is this the kind of thing where it either works or it doesn't? Or is it the kind of thing where it either works or it destroys everything? As a developer, you'd have a pretty good idea of whether the kind of operations being done by your program introduce potential for clobberage.
    I've included a lot of safety checks to make sure that it won't accidentally destroy data. Taking snapshots is a completely safe operation. Restoring snapshots should be safe as well, as long as you haven't modified the snapshots outside of Mound. When you restore a snapshot, it will also prompt you to create another snapshot "just in case."

The delete data button obviously will delete the data for the application... so be very careful with that. I may have Mound take an automatic snapshot right before you use that action.

As an example, when it takes a snapshot of Firefox (on my machine anyway), it will run:
    Code:
    tar -cvzf /home/jacob/.local/share/mound-snapshots/snapshot-name.tar.gz -C /home/jacob .mozilla/firefox
    When it wants to restore that snapshot:
    Code:
    tar -xvz -C /home/jacob /home/jacob/.local/share/mound-snapshots/snapshot-name.tar.gz
    One thing to note, tar will not follow symlinks when it takes snapshots and restores them. It is possible to do so with a flag (-h I think) but there are too many possibilities to consider there. Snapshots will contain the symlinks themselves and not the locations they point to, which should be the expected behavior.
    Last edited by jpeddicord; August 30th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Added another prerelease to the downloads and PPA. It contains even more checks to ensure "anti-clobberage" of your data.

Changelog:
    * Second preview release
    * Better error handling when locations cannot be used
    * More safety checks
    * Offer to take a snapshot before data-changing operations
    * Main window can be scrolled with the mouse
    * Display the number of snapshots in the main view
    * Prevent duplicate snapshots
    https://launchpad.net/mound/+download
    https://launchpad.net/~jpeddicord/+archive/mound

Testing appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Help Test: Mound Data Manager

I just downloaded mound-0.2.0 and put it in /usr/share. After running "sudo python setup.py install" all worked fine but when clicking under "Aplications/Accesories/Mound Data Manager" nothing happens. When running it from the command line it says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/mound-data-manager", line 25, in <module>
    ui = MainUI(m)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Mound/ui/__init__.py", line 63, in __init__
    self.details_ui = DetailsUI(mound_inst, self.builder)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Mound/ui/details.py", line 49, in __init__
    self.lbl_app_information.connect('activate-link', self.open_snapshots_external)
    TypeError: <gtk.Label object at 0xa4b6a54 (GtkLabel at 0xa689e50)>: unknown signal name: activate-link

What is the error ?

Beans
    Distro

Sorry about that. I programmed Mound on a Karmic system, unknowingly using a GTK 2.18 feature that is not available in Jaunty. I'll release a workaround in a couple of hours when I get home.

Beans
    Distro

Updated and tested on a Jaunty install. PPA packages are building as I type. If you would rather install from source, be sure to use --prefix=/usr as an argument to setup.py.

Beans
    Distro

Perfectly. I downloaded the updated version (mound-0.2.1), installed with prefix=/usr and it's running ok. I proceed testing.

Beans
    Distro

In the case of some games (like lbreakout2) what i want to snapshot are scores and they are in /var/games but when putting this path in /etc/userdata Mound says "A problem occurred. This application cannot be managed".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast