Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initramfs Busybox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Initramfs Busybox

*edit* i tried recovery mode once more and right before it goes to the initramfs prompt it says:
    "Alert! /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk does not exist. Dropping to shell!"
    any idea as to what may be causing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

From the error it sounds like you did install with wubi. I'm haven't used windows 2000 for awhile, but go to the control panel. Open Administration tools and then computer management. Go to storage and then Disk Management (Local). It will show your hard disks and the partitions. See if there's an unknown partition on your hard drive. If so, you installed be repartitioning and without wubi.

If that's the case you could consider downloading the ubuntu CD image and using Unetbootin and make a live usb image. Then you could boot that to try to see what's wrong. It would probably also work with a wubi install, but I would need to read up on how do that.
    I don't want to Live in a Life without Walls-too many viruses get in...
    Ubuntu user 23101 Linux user 472132
    Two ways to live: the choice we all face

Beans

Hi everyone, I am also somewhat of a newbie. I have successfully installed ubuntu onto a hard drive in one machine and then moved it over without any problems what so ever. I have attempted it on a new server and ran into some problems. Here is how it went, I am running 9.04 lts server and installed it using a desktop computer, I then swapped the hard drive into my dell poweredge 2800 server and when i goto boot it i get the following message.

Gave up waiting for root device common problems

-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    -check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    -check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)

-Missing Modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)

ALERT! /dev/mapper/dell-root does not exist. Dropping to shell!

BusyBox.......

I have exhausted all efforts I can think of, any suggestions as to how to fix this issue? I have tried to install the Ubuntu OS on this server while sitting at the server and it always blows up! That is why I attempted to install it on another machine and swap the drives. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@rob.tozier:
    Can I suggest that you post this as a new thread? The only reason I saw your post is because I previously commented on this thread.

I don't know a lot about fixing these kind of errors, but it might help to find out what it says if you run
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Also, did you try using the server text-based installer on the server?

Anyway, I would recommend a new thread that mentions the answers to the questions I asked.
    I don't want to Live in a Life without Walls-too many viruses get in...
    Ubuntu user 23101 Linux user 472132
    Two ways to live: the choice we all face

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12