Thread: PS3 internet via PC

Beans

PS3 internet via PC

Hello!

I have a desktop computer with a wireless internet connection and a PS3. I want to connect the PS3 to the PC with an ethernet cable and have the PS3 use the PC's wireless connection, instead of it's own.

I have successfully hooked up the PS3 to the wireless network. The reason for me wanting a cable between the PC and PS3, is that I don't want my media streaming from the PC to the PS3 go through a wireless network. Wireless streaming is not that good, when it comes to high bit rate media.

I have a router available, if needed. Both units can connect to this. However, this is not the router that hosts the wireless network. Using the router as a wireless bridge is out of the question. The internet connection has to go through the computers wireless card.

So, I am wondering:
    Can this be done? And if so, how?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: PS3 internet via PC

I just wrote my first tutorial on how to share a connection to a 360 and I think it would work for a PS3. You should give it a shot and tell me if it works. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1252743
    Have you actually tried streaming the stuff wirelessly? I don't know about PS3's but it works completely fine on my 360, even blu-ray rips.

Beans

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't had time to put a real effort in to this yet. I have had some problems setting up Firestarter. As I spend more time with this, i might be able to solve them on my own.

I will find more time later this week and post back.

Beans

I had to give this one up for a while, but I'm at it again now.

I will adress my issues in your Xbox360 thread, as it seems like you are right. It should probably work the same way on a PS3.