Page 163 of 169 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 1689

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Hi etibon,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Glad to hear Precise is working on your TX2z except for the Netbeans/touch/mouse pointer deal.

What does the output of:
    Code:
    xinput list
    look like? Probably want to do a xinput list-props on the N-Trig devices and see what X drivers they are on. And/or look at Xorg.0.log in /var/log.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi etibon,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Glad to hear Precise is working on your TX2z except for the Netbeans/touch/mouse pointer deal.

What does the output of:
    Code:
    xinput list
    look like? Probably want to do a xinput list-props on the N-Trig devices and see what X drivers they are on. And/or look at Xorg.0.log in /var/log.
    Hello Favux,

Thank you so much for your help!

Here is the info you requested. I'm not sure what to make of it. Everything looks reasonable to me.

Output of xinput --list is:

Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus                         id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=15   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (ene_ir)            id=17   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser                         id=19   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen pad                            id=20   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig MultiTouch                         id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                        id=13   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                              id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP Webcam                                 id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=14   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                            id=16   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ENE eHome Infrared Remote Receiver        id=18   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    The output from xinput --list-props is here

And this is my Xorg.0.log. I'm not sure what I would be looking for in it though.

Some help would be very very appreciated!

Beans
    Distro

Looks like evdev is picking up both Multitouch and Touchscreen. Is multitouch (gestures) working? Let's quick rule out it is similar to the issue tannalv ran into. Add the .conf file in "1) pre-alpha Quantal:" near the top of the HOW TO and see if that does anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Looks like evdev is picking up both Multitouch and Touchscreen. Is multitouch (gestures) working? Let's quick rule out it is similar to the issue tannalv ran into. Add the .conf file in "1) pre-alpha Quantal:" near the top of the HOW TO and see if that does anything.
    Ok. I added the conf and now it appears that the Touchscreen is no longer being listed in xinput --list:

Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus                         id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig MultiTouch                         id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (ene_ir)            id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser                         id=18   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen pad                            id=19   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                              id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP Webcam                                 id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=13   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                            id=15   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ENE eHome Infrared Remote Receiver        id=17   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Unfortunately I still have the same issue with Java apps .

As for multitouch gestures, I don't seem to have any in KDE. I haven't tried ginn yet though. mtview does show multitouch working however.

Beans

Hiya.

I'm trying to set up my Latitude XT on Arch Linux but I couldn't really get it working. I'm asking here since this thread seems to be the best source of information with respect to N-Trig on linux, and there don't seem to be many others using Arch on the XT.

I'm running kernel 3.4 with xorg 2.2 and xinput 1.6. NTrig is recognized by default (both the Pen and MultiTouch show up in xinput's list) and I have an evdev.conf which I've attached to this post.

I used the mtview tool to check if the device is working (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/T...eckingMTDevice). mtdev-test gives me the expected output and the mtview tool seems to work right as well (I can paint using 5 fingers on it!)

But I can't get any applications other than mtview to recognize touch events. Touching the screen will simply move the cursor to that location (with the left 'mouse' button pressed). For example, the common Qt finger painting example doesn't work at all: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/main-snapsho...ngerpaint.html.

I'd appreciate any help.

Beans

10-evdev.conf
    Code:
    #
    # Catch-all evdev loader for udev-based systems
    # We don't simply match on any device since that also adds accelerometers
    # and other devices that we don't really want to use. The list below
    # matches everything but joysticks.

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
            MatchIsPointer "on"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            Driver "evdev"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
            MatchIsKeyboard "on"
            Driver "evdev"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "evdev touchpad catchall"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            Driver "evdev"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
            MatchIsTablet "on"
            Driver "evdev"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"
            MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
            Driver "evdev"
    EndSection
    xinput -list
    Code:
    � Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    �   ��� Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    �   ��� N-Trig Pen                              	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    �   ��� N-Trig MultiTouch                       	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    �   ��� PS/2 Generic Mouse                      	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    � Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ��� Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ��� Video Bus                               	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ��� Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ��� Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ��� AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ��� Dell WMI hotkeys                        	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 11.10, Dell XT2 and magick-rotation issues

Favux, Jayhawk,

I finally had time to take a closer look at how magick-rotation is working on my Dell Latitude XT2.

I am running Ubuntu 11.10, BIOS Revision A12 and ntrig firmware 4.9.15.13.15 from software bundle 3.118(from Dell site)

I am running magick-rotation 1.6 direct from launchpad site.

As before (last july and august in this forum) there are a few things not working:

- incorrect rotation of stylus and MultiTouch by xrotate.py
    - not recieving dell-wmi signals

But I think we should start with the most basic and get that working before moving to subtler things.

I have enabled debuging in xrotate.py and when I call it with no commandline parameters, thus going left, I get the output in attached file (rotate_info_left.txt).

There are two problems. The first is that the stylus is incorrect by 180 degrees. The second is that the horizontal (with respect to now rotated screen) MultiTouch is progressively more incorrect towards one side. The vertical (with respect to now rotated screen) is OK.

The fix I have found for the second is easy. The Coordinate transformation Matrix should be

0.0, -1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0

whereas xrotate is using

0.0 -0.625, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0

In July 2011 I tried walking through xrotate.py to find the problem and I found two things going on:

for each device it finds (N-Trig Pen stylus, Pen eraser, Pen pad, Touchscreen, Multitouch is at least 5) it is incrementing variable sum_x and sum_y by the x and y of the device it found. This does not sem to actually cause any problems but it seems odd behaviour (as if it thinks I have 5+ monitors hooked up in a giant tiled desktop?)

My best guess at the things which is actually causing this is that when it calculates the calibration matrix it thinks there are two monitors, one with x=1280 y=800 and the second with x=800 y=1280. and thus it scales the x direction by 800/1280 = .625 . I am not sure why it does not try to scale the y direction in the opposite manner.

Similarly even after running "xrotate.py normal" the 0.625 persists.

Is there a good debugging tool where I can run through xrotate.py line-by-line and inspect variables at any point? Then I hope I can give a better description of the problem.

The fix I have found for the firs is to pause slightly after sending the xrandr rotate before sending the xinput rotate for the stylus. For an example of a script that works see the attached .rotate_right.sh

regards and thanks
    brett
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by brettpim; July 10th, 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add text

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also have the following behaviour:

If the MultiTouch is active then whenever I touch the screen the system does not get the "button release" event when I lift my finger off the screen. thereafter I can move the mouse with any of finger, stylus, trackpad, trackpoint, or external mouse, but left button presses/releases do not register at all. Sometimes I can regsiter right button presses but not always. Is there a parameter here I can change to be more sensitive to lifting my finger OFF the screen:

Code:
    Device 'N-Trig MultiTouch':
    	Device Enabled (132):	1
    	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (134):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
    	Device Accel Profile (250):	0
    	Device Accel Constant Deceleration (251):	1.000000
    	Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (252):	1.000000
    	Device Accel Velocity Scaling (253):	10.000000
    	Evdev Axis Inversion (254):	0, 0
    	Evdev Axis Calibration (255):	<no items>
    	Evdev Axes Swap (256):	0
    	Axis Labels (257):	"Abs X" (268), "Abs Y" (269), "Abs Misc" (288)
    	Button Labels (258):	"Button Unknown" (249), "Button Unknown" (249), "Button Unknown" (249), "Button Wheel Up" (138), "Button Wheel Down" (139)
    	Evdev Middle Button Emulation (259):	1
    	Evdev Middle Button Timeout (260):	50
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation (261):	0
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (262):	0, 0, 4, 5
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (263):	10
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (264):	200
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (265):	4
    	Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (266):	0
    xinput --query-state "N-Trig MultiTouch" yields

Code:
    2 classes :
    ButtonClass
    	button[1]=down
    	button[2]=up
    	button[3]=up
    	button[4]=up
    	button[5]=up
    ValuatorClass Mode=Absolute Proximity=In
    	valuator[0]=640
    	valuator[1]=400
    	valuator[2]=0

thanks
    brett
    Last edited by brettpim; July 10th, 2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: add info

Beans
    Distro

Hi brettpim,

To be honest I'm a little burnt out on Magick after pushing 1.6 and now the sprint to push 1.6.1 out.

And being locked out of my HOW TO's has sort of taken the wind out of my sails also.

Besides xrotate.py is Jayhawk's baby. I haven't messed with it since he almost finished adding the monitor out feature.

A bug might have been introduced in the mad scramble to substitute CTM for axes swap when they broke the axes swap for evdev and said they wouldn't fix it, back with Natty? Anyway I think I read something about them fixing axes swap for evdev anyway. Maybe we should go back to that? But that would break the "new" almost implemented monitor out stuff.
    Is there a good debugging tool where I can run through xrotate.py line-by-line and inspect variables at any point? Then I hope I can give a better description of the problem.
    Some IDE's have a working area feature. But really you can do the same by starting python in a terminal and then copying and pasting the imports you need and the lines you want to inspect and then print what you are interested in. Sounds like that's what you've been doing. If you find a better way please let me know!

As far as the touch goes maybe to start with checking what happens when you use the new .conf file under "pre-Quantal" in the HOW TO. See if getting rid of Touchscreen and just keeping Multitouch gets you anywhere.

I'll try to work up some enthusiasm to start looking at your scripts and xrotate.py. Not sure when that'll happen.

Beans
    Distro

Hi brett and anyone else intersted,

I've started looking at xrotate.py. The problem appears to be in the ctm(4) cell.

You're right that the variables sum_x and sum_y seem to be handled wrong. There's a problem with the indexing/range. With only one monitor it shouldn't be iterating but instead I'm seeing indexes 0, 1, 2 with index 0 having the correct value for one monitor connected, i.e. the tablet's monitor.

To disable the iteration problem go down to class monitor in xrotate.py and either comment out this line:
    Code:
    #                monitor.count += 1
    or change it to:
    Code:
                    monitor.count = 1
    Doing that can shift the ctm(4) offset from portrait modes if you also have the "for index in range(mon.count):" loop commented out. Not real useful. So I still need to track down what's going on in ctm(4). Hopefully that won't take too long. When I do fix it I'll post a xrotate.py to test with.

Or as an alternative in the meantime you could try going back to Axes Swap and Axis Inversion. For that go to class evdev in xrotate.py. Go down a bit to "def rotate_ctm(self, direction):" and change:
    Code:
            if not cur_ctm:
    to:
    Code:
    #        if not cur_ctm:
            # to disable CTM comment out above line and uncomment line below
            if cur_ctm:
    I'm not sure about this but the more recent evdevs seem to lack the Calibration property. I'm not sure how Swap and Inversion will do without Calibration.
    Last edited by Favux; August 7th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Page 163 of 169 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165 ... LastLast