Page 92 of 169 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaocaholica View Post
    My 10.04 beta 2 64bit live CD doesn't even get to that screen. I get the purple loading screen with the "keyboard = human" graphic and then a black screen but the cd drive still seeks and reads. This is on a Dell XT with ATI graphics btw.
    You should press enter when you see the keyboard icon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    That would be much appreciated. Any idea how mulitouchd is coming along?
    Hasn't been. I've been swamped and haven't had time to pick it apart.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rafiyr View Post
    There's an updated version of the driver at: http://ofb.net/~rafi/2010_04_14_hid-ntrig.c
    Fixes include:

• hardware wakeup (not sure which firmware/hardware combos need that)
    • fixes for downstream events (to user space) to ensure doubletap and touch are transmitted correctly (evdev and wacom should be equally well supported)
    • fixes of interpretation of upstream events (from the hardware) to account for inconsistencies in events the hardware uses to indicate a finger is on the screen

I would urge people to try out evdev for touch and multitouch. The wacom events are inconsistent with the conventions used by most of the other drivers and emitting both is wasteful. Also at this time it does not look like nice multitouch support will involve the wacom driver (for non-wacom hardware, and there are now quite a number of other vendors making mt devices).

If you install Lucid Lynx, the default is wacom for pen, but evdev for touch and multitouch.

For studio 17 users (and other's willing to test): I've also posted a slightly modified version: http://ofb.net/~rafi/2010_04_14_studio17_hid-ntrig.c
    There are two small differences.
    Instead of eliminating all small contacts (w<=250 || h<=190), only exact matches are tagged (250,190 is used to indicate some form of bogus contacts which result in random touch events). As a result of the larger screen which is scaled to the same logical range, the studio 17 seems to send meaningful contacts that are smaller than the XT. This change needs to be checked more carefully before I'm willing to trust it with the XT/XT2/TX2 sensors.

Secondl4y I've added a bit of slack for end of stream (the hardware all seems to send at least 5 full sets of 0 contacts when you remove your finger), to prevent premature button releases. This alteration should almost definitely become standard.

I'm not sure why some of you are having trouble with right clicks from the Pen in Lucid. I will look into it.
    Awesome, thanks so much, rafi.

Got it installed & am using evdev as touch driver now, button works now!

Tried to get rotation to go, looks like xinput should do the job:

Code:
    $ xinput list-props "touch"
    Device 'touch':
        Device Enabled (116):    1
        Evdev Reopen Attempts (251):    10
        Evdev Axis Inversion (252):    0, 0
        Evdev Axis Calibration (253):    0, 9600, 0, 7200
        Evdev Axes Swap (254):    0
        Evdev Middle Button Emulation (255):    2
        Evdev Middle Button Timeout (256):    50
        Evdev Wheel Emulation (257):    0
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (258):    0, 0, 4, 5
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (259):    10
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (260):    200
        Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (261):    4
        Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (262):    0
    rotated the screen, did a couple commands:

Code:
    $ xinput set-int-prop "touch" 254 8 1
    $ xinput set-int-prop "touch" 252 8 1 0
    which gets us into the ballpark, but calibration is messed up!

experimenting with various calibration settings (i.e.)
    Code:
    $ xinput set-int-prop "touch" 253 32 0 9600 2000 7200
    got me nowhere.

Beans

This sort of works; my rotation is CCW for portrait, and then back to landscape.

Code:
    $ cat evrot

if [ ! $1 ] || [ $1 == "off" ]; 

then    xinput set-int-prop "touch" 254 8 0 ;
        xinput set-int-prop "touch" 252 8 0 0;
        xinput set-int-prop "touch" 253 32 0 9600 0 7200;
        exit;
    fi

if [ $1 == "on" ];

then    xinput set-int-prop "touch" 254 8 1 ; 
        xinput set-int-prop "touch" 252 8 1 0;
        xinput set-int-prop "touch" 253 32 0 12800 0 5400;
    fi
    Can't access the left two inches of the screen in portrait mode, perhaps newer versions of evdev would work? Anyways, works ok as an "e-reader".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nimless View Post
    You should press enter when you see the keyboard icon
    Duh, ok that worked. Although I don't think the current implementation is all that great since if anything is broken, like in my case, its hard to tell whats going on.

In any case, I installed 10.04 to the HDD and I tried to add "radeon.modeset=0" to the grub boot options but I don't have any grub config files in /boot/grub/. All I have is a file called grubenv. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this a grub2 issue? What should I do? Booting from the HDD produces the same problem of a blank screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shaocaholica View Post
    Duh, ok that worked. Although I don't think the current implementation is all that great since if anything is broken, like in my case, its hard to tell whats going on.

In any case, I installed 10.04 to the HDD and I tried to add "radeon.modeset=0" to the grub boot options but I don't have any grub config files in /boot/grub/. All I have is a file called grubenv. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this a grub2 issue? What should I do? Booting from the HDD produces the same problem of a blank screen.
    Yes it is related to grub2, I don't know much about Grub2, you should ask in a Grub2 thread or a separated one I think...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

Couple of useful Grub 2 links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...03&postcount=1

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...77&postcount=1

I think you may need to go to /etc/grub.d and add to the 40_custom file, which you probably have to create.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry, I forgot that evdev still gets the scaling wrong. Here's a little script that sets all axis settings each time you rotate.

syntax:
    Code:
    evdev_rotate.sh <orientation> 
    [list of devices]
    For example:
    Code:
    evdev_rotate.sh left "N-Trig MultiTouch" "N-Trig Pen"
    I haven't yet tested with multitouch children. But I would think they will need the parameter adjustments.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you rafyir, that's very helpful. And I suppose if wanted you could easily modify the script to mirror xsetwacom's rotation orientations: normal(landscape)=none or 0; left=ccw or 1; right=cw or 2; inverted=half or 3. So the pen/stylus works in evdev too? With pressure?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi,

Couple of useful Grub 2 links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...03&postcount=1

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...77&postcount=1

I think you may need to go to /etc/grub.d and add to the 40_custom file, which you probably have to create.
    Thanks. Seems like the best place was /etc/default/grub and after which I had to run update-grub.

Page 92 of 169 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast