Page 90 of 169 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Here is a link to a non-graphical hid-ntrig and Wacom driver installer. It only does the installation of the most recent patches for the hid-ntrig that Rafi Rubin has created and is currently installing the 0.8.6 driver for Karmic and 0.10.5 version for Lucid. This should work for both 32 and 64 bit versions. Once it has done the install, you will need to restart so that the new drivers will be used. This does not configure the device so that will need to be done after restarting.

Right now it will always do a repository update and then download and install the drivers so if you try to a reinstall, it will still download all the files over again. This is done this way to make sure that it builds everything in a clean directory. Since this is the first version, it does not have a log feature yet. The configuration portion will be started soon and then possibly a GUI version will be built.

As usual, this is an early release so more changes will be coming. Also there is always the possibility that the application could crash (error trapping has not been added yet either). However, it should not do any major harm to the system because it is only installing the kernel module and Wacom driver.

For those who want to look at the source, this is written in python so the installer.tar.bz2 file contains the source.

To download and extract:
    Code:
    cd
    wget http://linuxfans.keryxproject.org/packages/ntrig/installer.tar.bz2
    tar -xvjf installer.tar.bz2
    Options on how to run the application:

To install the N-trig kernel module and Wacom driver:
    Code:
    cd installer
    ./installer.py all
    To install just the N-trig module with the current kernel version:
    Code:
    cd installer
    ./installer.py ntrig
    If you want to do it for a particular kernel version:
    Code:
    cd installer
    ./installer.py ntrig [kernel_version]
    To install the patched Wacom module only:
    Code:
    cd installer
    ./installer.py wacom

Beans

So I've got the stylus working on my XT and Karmic but I'm at a loss on what to do about calibration and screen rotation. I don't have an xorg.conf in /etc/x11. Right now, the stylus kinda works like a mouse. It doesn't seem to be mapped to the screen but rather moves incrementally with interaction but its not 1:1 with actual distance moved on the screen. What do I need to do at this point?

Beans

On a side note, how long until tablet support, at least for the XT/XT2 works out of the box?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shaocaholica View Post
    On a side note, how long until tablet support, at least for the XT/XT2 works out of the box?
    I just tried booting a live CD the other day and I get tablet support with pressure (at least for GTK apps) out of the box in Lucid beta 2. The only thing I don't get is pressure in QT/KDE apps (a fixed, but unreleased bug in QT 4.6.2) and touch clicking.
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just tried booting a live CD the other day and I get tablet support with pressure (at least for GTK apps) out of the box in Lucid beta 2. The only thing I don't get is pressure in QT/KDE apps (a fixed, but unreleased bug in QT 4.6.2) and touch clicking.
    I second that! Touch and pen work perfectly out of the box with Beta 2. I cant however right click with the pen.

Beans

@Ayuthia : Is there any advantage for people like me with Vista firmware with the new kernel module and wacom driver ?

Beans

Pen and finger touch work perfectly now on my TX2Z thanks to your post Ayuthia
    this is great!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    I second that! Touch and pen work perfectly out of the box with Beta 2. I cant however right click with the pen.
    So, you can click with touch, out of the box on beta 2? Are you on a Latitude XT or something else?
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, I can click with both pen and touch. However I cant right click. Im using a tx2 1025dx.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nimless View Post
    @Ayuthia : Is there any advantage for people like me with Vista firmware with the new kernel module and wacom driver ?
    The new kernel module splits out the pen and touch events which allows you to be able to have the touch and pen use different devices. Otherwise, there is no real change.

The only advantage is that people are starting to use the newer kernel module more so they are going to be more familiar with it than the older version.

Page 90 of 169 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast