Page 4 of 169 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Flensburger View Post
    I did three changed to the current Karmic version:

1) Moved the stylus configuration from hal to xorg.conf - although I am not sure whether this is really needed. Given that Karmic tries to do without any xorg.conf at all my current solution is not the prettiest one.

2) Downloaded the stable linuxwacom 0.8.4 sources. I patched them to include the USB ids of the n-trig digitizer. I compiled them and just copied over the resulting wacom_drv.so to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input overriding the Karmic 0.8.3.x version. Apart from that I did not install anything else.

3) I took the recent git sources of the ubuntu karmic kernel and patched hid-ntrig.c. Otherwise the buttons wouldn't be recognized.

Marc
    Thanks for this information. I did find out that I removed a line that I should not have and that prevented the button event from triggering. It is now working. Thanks!

As for the xorg.conf, the way that I am understanding it, we do need to have it in xorg.conf if we want to use the touch portion of the touchscreen. HAL will always overwrite the first entry (stylus)with the second one (touch) and then fail or else it will try the touch then the stylus and the touch will not work.

I was going to rewrite the code so that the touchscreen was one device so that you only need one entry in HAL, but then GIMP will not be able to recognize the finger and stylus as two different devices.

Beans

I'm sorry if I should be asking this elsewhere, but after I made these changes and reset, my only sound device shows as "Null Output". I read other fixes for this in the thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1012636&page=2 . However, none of them work for me, and I was wondering if this has something to do with one of the changes I made in the guide in the first post?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi al.uminum,

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums!

I'm not sure if it was the kernel deb. The xorg.conf and .fdi editing shouldn't have any effect on sound. Were there any other updates that occured before it happen?

By the way which n-trig tablet pc do you have?

Beans

Favux-

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm using the tx2z and I seem to have resolved the issue. I plugged in a usb mic, and that seems to have tricked everything else into working. Unfortunately I have no idea what caused the temporary error or the fix. I'm fairly certain it was just one of the updates I added. Anyhow, sorry for having wasted your time with the false alarm, and thank you for putting all of this how-to information together.

Beans
    Distro

Hi al.uminum,

No problems. Glad it's working again. You're welcome.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

There's been 27 downloads of the symlink xorg.conf. I'm going to assume it has been working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi everyone,

There's been 27 downloads of the symlink xorg.conf. I'm going to assume it has been working.
    I downloaded it and had to modify it ever so slightly for my video settings but yes it worked great. Thanks for all those that figured this out with this tutorial I now have everything working that I use. I never used the fingerprint scanner any ways so never even tried it with linux.

Beans
    Distro

Hi proverbs308,

Thank you for the feedback. It's good to know the n-trig symlink is working for you.

Glad the HOW TO helped you get set up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    To edit it enter in a terminal:
    Code:
    gksudo edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You have a typo.

Chris.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Chris,

Just fixed it. Spotted it after Ayuthia replied to you.

Thanks!

Page 4 of 169 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast