Page 34 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Ah!... I forgot to run the command to create the file. I'll get it done and uploaded when I log in to Ubuntu later (I'm now on Windows).

And yes, I've a USB mouse plugged in.

But bad news: the intermittent left-click is back. So is the shut down problem. The former is particularly irksome because I cannot do anything but to restart when the left-click does not work for the session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Jackson Tan,

Unless you absolutely need it I'd suggest leaving the usb mouse unplugged (and any other uneeded periperal) while you're trying to set up the n-trig digitizer. One less complication to deal with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Jackson Tan,

Unless you absolutely need it I'd suggest leaving the usb mouse unplugged (and any other uneeded periperal) while you're trying to set up the n-trig digitizer. One less complication to deal with.
    Oh well... that might explain the left-click problem. In fact, just now when I logged in, the left-click was working fine until I touched the screen. So it might be related. I think I'll try reverting back to the old xorg.conf to see if this problem and the shut down issue persists.

Anyway, the lshal output is attached. Sorry for the delay.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi Jackson Tan,

Ahhh! The Win7 firmware has changed things.

When we first looked at a n-trig lshal we saw 3 devices/sysfs_path's, 'if0', 'if1', and 'if2'. We thought 'if0' would be the stylus and 'if1' touch like a Wacom. We didn't know what 'if2' was for. But it turned out both stylus and touch were on 'if0' which is why we had to use xorg.conf and couldn't use a .fdi.

Your lshal shows the Synaptic touchpad driver grabbing 'if1'. I think I saw that before but I ignored it. If it wanted to grab a dead path, so what? But it can't be dead if you are getting touch with the Synaptic driver. Which is probably what is messing up your left click, by the way.

So now the question is since 'if1' is active with Win7 firmware is 'if0' dead? Or could we finally construct a .fdi with stylus on 'if0' and touch on 'if1'?

First thing is to modify the Synaptic touchpad .fdi using Ayuthia's fix so it isn't grabbing 'if1' anymore, as I described above. Then let's see where we are with another lshal. I also need to see your xorg.conf, particularly which path you're using. By the way this may explain why the symlink doesn't work. It was built expecting only one active path. If there are now two it'll have to be changed.

Beans

hey i got the touchscreen working by following your instructions but the stylus does not work and touch is off by a huge margin, any ideas on why this could be?

Beans
    Distro

Hi russian460,

It sounds like you have Win7 firmware too. That's what we've been talking about over the last few pages. I hate to do this to you but can you review them. Find out if Synaptic touchpad is grabbing your digitizer and then apply Ayuthia's fix. That should catch you up. Then we can go from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    First thing is to modify the Synaptic touchpad .fdi using Ayuthia's fix so it isn't grabbing 'if1' anymore, as I described above. Then let's see where we are with another lshal. I also need to see your xorg.conf, particularly which path you're using. By the way this may explain why the symlink doesn't work. It was built expecting only one active path. If there are now two it'll have to be changed.
    I suppose Ayuthia's fix meant post #205 (the 11-x11-synaptics.fdi file). I did that and it doesn't seem to help. Left-click is still intermittent. The lshal is attached. So is the xorg.conf.

Beans

Ok i will admit i am not linux savy, at least not enough to know what is going on in detail. I installed ubuntu without a hitch, updated all the proprietary drivers, and checked my firmware version. You were right it is the new windows 7 firmware. After that i followed Ayutia's abbreviated how to. Now the touch screen works but not with the stylus, and is inaccurate when using my finger. What i gather is i have to follow step 4 and setup symlink. Am i correct? should touchscreen work after that?

if I cannot get it working i am going to reinstall ubuntu and start frsh

edit: ok i went back and read up about the windows 7 firmware it seems to me that no one has gotten this to work correctly yet?
    Last edited by russian460; December 10th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi russian460,

Good it sounds like you are caught up. Most likely your touch is from the Synaptics touchpad driver. To stop it from grabbing your digitizer apply Ayuthia's fix to the Synaptic .fdi in post #205.

You are right, we don't have things working yet with Win7 firmware. But if I understand Ayuthia correctly we should at least be able to get the stylus working. We are also hoping Ayuthia or Rafi Rubin or one of the others who understand the n-trig/linuxwacom drivers will post a patch soon.

In the meantime thanks to Jackson Tan we've learned the path/channel the stylus is on may have changed. Or maybe it's the path touch is on. That's what we're looking at now. Hopefully we're a couple of changes from getting something working.

See if you can follow along.

Hi Jackson Tan,

Forums down again. Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for hanging in there. Actually the Synaptic fix now seems to have prevented it from grabbing 'if1'. Now nothing seems to be trying to configure the n-trig, including unfortunately the xorg.conf.

Good, you're using the symlink. Let's first try to salvage it by changing it to:
    Code:
    # Link N-trig USB tablet to "/dev/input/n-trig"
    BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b96", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK="input/n-trig"
    reboot and see if that works.

If that doesn't work let's try this .fdi attached below. It should at least give us stylus. Follow my instructions in post #325, but use the .fdi below. But in this case you need to return your xorg.conf to the pristine default Karmic one you started with. Which may mean nearly empty or no xorg.conf at all. Reboot after installing it. If that doesn't work change this line:
    Code:
        <match key="input.originating_device" contains="if0">
    to
    Code:
        <match key="input.originating_device" contains="if1">
    and reboot again. I hope this will at least give you your stylus. If the stylus shows up on 'if0' then we can see if we can get some sort of touch on 'if1'.
    Last edited by Favux; December 10th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

here is the hid-ntrig for the most recent kernel

2.6.31-16-generic

Page 34 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast