Page 135 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1689

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntiac View Post
    I didn't see any change in output at all when using the non-rafi version of dell-wmi. When I followed the instructions in the previous post, I get the following error:

Code:
    user@neo:/usr/src/dell-wmi-20101214-rafi$ sudo dkms build -m dell-wmi -v 20101214-rafi

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...                                                                                                                       

Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.37-9-generic -C /lib/modules/2.6.37-9-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/dell-wmi/20101214/build....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.37-9-generic (i686)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/dell-wmi/20101214-rafi/build/ for more information.
    ERROR: binary package for dell-wmi: 20101214-rafi not found
    The previous step worked fine. The make log shows:
    Code:
    DKMS make.log for dell-wmi-20101214-rafi for kernel 2.6.37-9-generic (i686)
    Tue Dec 14 15:47:40 EST 2010
    make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.37-9-generic'
    scripts/Makefile.build:44: /var/lib/dkms/dell-wmi/20101214/build/Makefile: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/var/lib/dkms/dell-wmi/20101214/build/Makefile'.  Stop.
    make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/dell-wmi/20101214/build] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.37-9-generic'
    Sorry about that. Please download the package in the previous post again. I made the changes and it seems to compile fine now. Please do the following since you have already tried it once:
    Code:
    sudo dkms remove -m dell-wmi -v 20101214-rafi --all
    Download the new package then do the following:
    Code:
    tar -xvjf dell-wmi-20101214-rafi.tar.bz2
    sudo cp -a dell-wmi-20101214-rafi /usr/src/
    sudo dkms add -m dell-wmi -v 20101214-rafi
    sudo dkms build -m dell-wmi -v 20101214-rafi
    sudo dkms install -m dell-wmi -v 20101214-rafi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, got it installed and rebooted. sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/dell-wmi still isn't giving me anything. :/
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans
    Distro

Ok, got it installed and rebooted. sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/dell-wmi still isn't giving me anything. :/
    Can you post the results of:
    Code:
    sudo evtest /dev/input/dell-wmi
    I want to see if it shows the switch now. Does dmesg show anything:
    Code:
    dmesg|grep wmi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Can you post the results of:
    Code:
    sudo evtest /dev/input/dell-wmi
    I want to see if it shows the switch now.
    I get:
    Code:
    user@neo:~$ sudo evtest /dev/input/dell-wmi
    Input driver version is 1.0.1                                                                                                                                                       
    Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0                                                                                                                        
    Input device name: "Dell WMI hotkeys"                                                                                                                                               
    Supported events:                                                                                                                                                                   
      Event type 0 (Sync)                                                                                                                                                               
      Event type 1 (Key)                                                                                                                                                                
        Event code 58 (CapsLock)                                                                                                                                                        
        Event code 69 (NumLock)                                                                                                                                                         
        Event code 70 (ScrollLock)                                                                                                                                                      
        Event code 113 (Mute)                                                                                                                                                           
        Event code 114 (VolumeDown)                                                                                                                                                     
        Event code 115 (VolumeUp)                                                                                                                                                       
        Event code 148 (Prog1)                                                                                                                                                          
        Event code 149 (Prog2)                                                                                                                                                          
        Event code 161 (EjectCD)                                                                                                                                                        
        Event code 224 (Brightness down)                                                                                                                                                
        Event code 225 (Brightness up)                                                                                                                                                  
        Event code 228 (?)                                                                                                                                                              
        Event code 229 (?)                                                                                                                                                              
        Event code 230 (?)                                                                                                                                                              
        Event code 236 (?)                                                                                                                                                              
        Event code 238 (?)                                                                                                                                                              
        Event code 431 (?)                                                                                                                                                              
      Event type 5 (?)
        Event code 1 (?)
    Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
    ^C
    user@neo:~$
    It doesn't print anything extra when I swivel the hinge.

dmesg|grep wmi gives:
    Code:
    [    0.546964] wmi: Mapper loaded

Beans
    Distro

I get:
    Code:
      Event type 5 (?)
        Event code 1 (?)
    That was the part I was hoping would show up. However, I am stumped about why you are not getting any codes for the swivel.

Since you don't have Windows on it, I am guessing that you don't have a way to check if the swivel works. Right now the only thing that I can see is that there is a code that is not being recognized in the kernel that is coming from the BIOS or else the swivel is not responding for some other reason.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; December 15th, 2010 at 02:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

wildschweini's on an XT running 32 bit as well, right? If that's the case, I wonder if both of us could try booting a live cd / usb of Maverick and running a couple of tests to see if we get the same results as each other. After all, if we have the exact same software stack (vanilla maverick cd) and the same hardware (latitude XT) then all that would be left that *could* be different would be the BIOS or broken hardware, right? If they come out the same though, then we'd know it was a Maverick -> Natty change.

Note: I have a premium business warranty with Dell that basically gets any broken hardware fixed for free for the next 6 months or so, so if I *do* have broken hardware I'd rather know sooner than later!
    Last edited by Ubuntiac; December 15th, 2010 at 04:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

back again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Apparently I was a little bit slow in reading the code earlier. I just found that Rafi's changes were not in the current kernel source. However, the values that wildschweini shows looks like it matches up with Rafi's code. So what we can do is the use this dkms version.
    i installed Rafi's dell-wmi and got now the following:

(1)
    Code:
    $ sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/dell-wmi 
    0000000: e1 6f 08 4d 00 00 00 00 ae c9 0d 00 00 00 00 00  .o.M............
    0000010: 05 00 01 00 01 00 00 00 e1 6f 08 4d 00 00 00 00  .........o.M....
    0000020: b4 c9 0d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
    when rotating to tablet and

Code:
    $ sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/dell-wmi
    0000030: e8 6f 08 4d 00 00 00 00 6c cf 0b 00 00 00 00 00  .o.M....l.......
    0000040: 05 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 e8 6f 08 4d 00 00 00 00  .........o.M....
    0000050: 72 cf 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  r...............
    after rotating back to laptop.

(2)
    Code:
    $ sudo evtest /dev/input/dell-wmi 
    Input driver version is 1.0.1
    Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
    Input device name: "Dell WMI hotkeys"
    Supported events:
      Event type 0 (Sync)
      Event type 1 (Key)
        Event code 58 (CapsLock)
        Event code 69 (NumLock)
        Event code 70 (ScrollLock)
        Event code 113 (Mute)
        Event code 114 (VolumeDown)
        Event code 115 (VolumeUp)
        Event code 148 (Prog1)
        Event code 149 (Prog2)
        Event code 161 (EjectCD)
        Event code 224 (Brightness down)
        Event code 225 (Brightness up)
        Event code 228 (?)
        Event code 229 (?)
        Event code 230 (?)
        Event code 236 (?)
        Event code 238 (?)
        Event code 431 (?)
      Event type 5 (?)
        Event code 1 (?)
    Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
    Event: time 1292398698.722535, type 5 (?), code 1 (?), value 1
    Event: time 1292398698.722544, -------------- Report Sync ------------
    Event: time 1292398706.359453, type 5 (?), code 1 (?), value 0
    Event: time 1292398706.359461, -------------- Report Sync ------------
    it looks similar to the evtest of Ubuntiac but i got output! the first two event lines after the 'Testing' come from rotation to tablet, the second two lines from rotation back to laptop.

(3)
    Code:
    $ dmesg|grep wmi
    [  156.809505] dell wmi got code d0
    [  163.679903] dell wmi got code d0
    this is the dmesg after rotation to tablet and rotation back to laptop.

wildschweini's on an XT running 32 bit as well, right? If that's the case, I wonder if both of us could try booting a live cd / usb of Maverick and running a couple of tests to see if we get the same results as each other. After all, if we have the exact same software stack (vanilla maverick cd) and the same hardware (latitude XT) then all that would be left that *could* be different would be the BIOS or broken hardware, right? If they come out the same though, then we'd know it was a Maverick -> Natty change.
    Ubuntiac, i'm using a 64bit system but have no problem with some live cd tests...

Beans
    Distro

magick-rotation works!!!!

friendz, with Rafi's dell-wmi i tried to use the magick-rotation script and it works!!!

Rotation of the screen to tablet as well as back to laptop! the outputs after rotation to tablet and back to laptop.
    Code:
    $./magick-rotation 
    ['/dev/input/hp-wmi', '/dev/input/dell-wmi']
    stat /dev/input/hp-wmi
    stat /dev/input/dell-wmi
    False
    /dev/input/dell-wmi
    type 73ce  code 4d08  value 0
    type e441  code 9  value 0
    type 5  code 1  value 1
    xrandr -o right
    type 73ce  code 4d08  value 0
    type e447  code 9  value 0
    type 0  code 0  value 0
    type 73d7  code 4d08  value 0
    type a257  code 1  value 0
    type 5  code 1  value 0
    xrandr -o normal
    type 73d7  code 4d08  value 0
    type a25d  code 1  value 0
    type 0  code 0  value 0
    if there appear any problems, i will report on it. now i will test the script more in detail...
    Last edited by wildschweini; December 15th, 2010 at 09:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wildschweini View Post
    if there appear any problems, i will report on it. now i will test the script more in detail...
    there are some general problems after booting my latutide xt:
    - without magick-rotation only the multitouch works after starting a session without problems. the pen moves only the arrow arround the screen, but is not able, lets say, to 'klick' (like klicking the mouse)
    - using magick-rotation, i am able to switch the touch off - and the pen is working quite well. switching back to 'touch on' the pen is working as lousy as after starting the session.

these problems did not appear after fresh installation of ubuntu 10.10 but immediately after an upgrade - don't know why...

so please, can you give me the shell xset-command to start the pen like in the 'touch off' mode? i can't figure it out off your magick-rotation scripts.

Thanks!
    Last edited by wildschweini; December 15th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wildschweini View Post
    there are some general problems after booting my latutide xt:
    - without magick-rotation only the multitouch works after starting a session without problems. the pen moves only the arrow arround the screen, but is not able, lets say, to 'klick' (like klicking the mouse)
    - using magick-rotation, i am able to switch the touch off - and the pen is working quite well. switching back to 'touch on' the pen is working as lousy as after starting the session.

these problems did not appear after fresh installation of ubuntu 10.10 but immediately after an upgrade - don't know why...

so please, can you give me the shell xset-command to start the pen like in the 'touch off' mode? i can't figure it out off your magick-rotation scripts.

Thanks!
    Great! I am glad to see that the swivel works with this version. Now we need to figure out what is happening with Ubuntiac's laptop.

I will have to say that it is strange that the left click does not work when touch is on. You wouldn't happen to know which N-trig firmware you are using in Windows?

The xinput command to turn off the multitouch can be done two different ways. The first one:

Off:
    Code:
    xinput float "N-Trig MultiTouch"
    On:
    Code:
    xinput reattach "N-Trig MultiTouch" "Virtual core pointer"
    Or you can do the following:

Off:
    Code:
    xinput set-prop 'N-Trig MultiTouch' 'Device Enabled' 0
    On:
    Code:
    xinput set-prop 'N-Trig MultiTouch' 'Device Enabled' 1
    You can verify the name of your touch device through:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    and it will either be "N-Trig Touchscreen" or "N-Trig MultiTouch". If you see both, it is the MultiTouch.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; December 15th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

Page 135 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast