Page 126 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1689

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

@dmegg - I have found the problem and it is with the kernel module. I have a patch that is currently working and I hope to post it here soon (with the procedure on how to install it). Here is a link to the launchpad bug. It is where I posted the patch if you want to look at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    @dmegg - I have found the problem and it is with the kernel module. I have a patch that is currently working and I hope to post it here soon (with the procedure on how to install it). Here is a link to the launchpad bug. It is where I posted the patch if you want to look at it.
    Thanks so much, Ayuthia. My kernel-rebuilding days might be behind me (I was active in the Minix community around 1990, then the beginning of the Linux community in the early 1990s, patching and rebuilding kernels sometimes 2-3 times/day -- I enjoy just being a lazy end user now). I still might be tempted to take a shot, though, instead of waiting for your patch to be accepted upstream and then work its way back down into an Ubuntu update.

Single touch was working on my laptop in Lucid, for what it's worth. I can attach some of my old Lucid X11 config files if they're of any interest to anyone (just let me know which ones).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmegg View Post
    Thanks so much, Ayuthia. My kernel-rebuilding days might be behind me (I was active in the Minix community around 1990, then the beginning of the Linux community in the early 1990s, patching and rebuilding kernels sometimes 2-3 times/day -- I enjoy just being a lazy end user now). I still might be tempted to take a shot, though, instead of waiting for your patch to be accepted upstream and then work its way back down into an Ubuntu update.

Single touch was working on my laptop in Lucid, for what it's worth. I can attach some of my old Lucid X11 config files if they're of any interest to anyone (just let me know which ones).
    I have an installer application that I will most likely slip the code into. It should download all the packages needed to build the kernel module and install it for you. I know how much fun it is to compile applications.

There was a modification from the 2.6.35 kernel made in Maverick that was supposed to help make things work with the utouch code. However, some things were accidentally left out of the code that allowed the single touch to report.

Beans
    Distro

I just realized that you can use the current hid-ntrig.c source that Rafi Rubin created with the installer script. It should work without issue. Here is the link to the instructions. Once you have it extracted, you will just need:
    Code:
    ./installer.py ntrig
    and it should install it for you.

You will probably want to remove the updated wacom entry that we created for the touch unless you want to use it.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a new experimental attempt for getting the hid-ntrig kernel module installed on Lucid or Maverick. It will be through dkms so that each time the kernel is updated, it will automatically rebuild the hid-ntrig kernel module for you.

For the most part, people using Maverick might need this if they are using Vista or only have N-Trig Touchscreen as their touch device. Currently Maverick does not have it working as of yet for those people.

Those using Lucid might like it if they are already using the 05/04/2010 version that Rafi Rubin created. This is just building it inside dkms for you.

There should not be any additional packages to install as far as I know (besides aptitude for going back to the original version). It should be ready to go as long has you have used Hardware Drivers to install fglrx or install a Broadcom driver. If you do find that there is a package missing, let me know and I will update this.

To install:

Step 1:
    Change over to the /usr/src directory:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    Step 2:
    Download the package:

Lucid
    Code:
    sudo wget http://linuxfans.keryxproject.org/packages/ntrig/dkms/lucid/ntrig-20100504.tar.bz2
    Maverick
    Code:
    sudo wget http://linuxfans.keryxproject.org/packages/ntrig/dkms/maverick/ntrig-20100504.tar.bz2
    Step 3:
    Extract the package:
    Code:
    sudo tar -xvjf ntrig-20100504.tar.bz2
    Step 4:
    Add the module:
    Code:
    sudo dkms add -m ntrig -v 20100504
    Step 5:
    Build the module:
    Code:
    sudo dkms build -m ntrig -v 20100504
    Step 6:
    Install the module:
    Code:
    sudo dkms install -m ntrig -v 20100504
    That is it! After that, each time a new kernel is updated, it will automatically run it for you. If you don't want to use it anymore:

Step 1:
    Remove the kernel module from the system:
    Code:
    sudo dkms remove -m ntrig -v 20100504 --all
    Step 2:
    If you don't have aptitude installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install aptiutde
    Step 3:
    Rebuild the original kernel module:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)
    I chose to use aptitude here only because I know that it can reinstall a package for you. I am not for sure if there is an equivalent in apt-get or through Synaptic.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; October 22nd, 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Here is a new experimental try for getting the hid-ntrig kernel module installed on Lucid or Maverick. It will be through dkms so that each time the kernel is updated, it will automatically rebuild the hid-ntrig kernel module for you.
    Thank you for all the work. I rolled out the previous changes I'd made to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/* (I think it's all back to default), built and installed the module, and then rebooted. Touching the screen in X11 still has no visible effect, but whenever I move my finger around the screen, I get a lot of output from

$ sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/event9

I guess I just need a way now to tell XOrg to use this as a pointing device, the way it did in Lucid.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for all the work. I rolled out the previous changes I'd made to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/* (I think it's all back to default), built and installed the module, and then rebooted. Touching the screen in X11 still has no visible effect, but whenever I move my finger around the screen, I get a lot of output from

$ sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/event9

I guess I just need a way now to tell XOrg to use this as a pointing device, the way it did in Lucid.
    Thank you for testing that version out!

If you don't mind, can we confirm that the module did successfully install? We need to check two places:
    Code:
    ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko
    and
    Code:
    ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/hid-ntrig.ko
    If you get a response in the second but not the first, then it worked.

We can then check the results of:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    and please also supply a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and we can see what is happening. If the hid-ntrig module did not install correctly, then we need to figure out what happened.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thank you for testing that version out!

If you don't mind, can we confirm that the module did successfully install? We need to check two places:
    Code:
    ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko
    and
    Code:
    ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/hid-ntrig.ko
    If you get a response in the second but not the first, then it worked.
    I get responses from both (the second one, obviously, is the one I just built):

Code:
    david@snape:~$ ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14688 2010-10-16 20:38 /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko
    david@snape:~$ ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/hid-ntrig.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22464 2010-10-21 18:03 /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/updates/dkms/hid-ntrig.ko
    david@snape:~$
    We can then check the results of:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    Here it is:

Code:
    david@snape:~$ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Receiver                   	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser                       	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus                       	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                      	id=15	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser                       	id=16	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus                       	id=17	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                      	id=18	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=20	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Logitech USB Receiver                   	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP Webcam                               	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=19	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=21	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    and please also supply a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and we can see what is happening. If the hid-ntrig module did not install correctly, then we need to figure out what happened.
    Attached. As always, thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

I get responses from both (the second one, obviously, is the one I just built):

Code:
    david@snape:~$ ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14688 2010-10-16 20:38 /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko
    david@snape:~$ ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/hid-ntrig.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22464 2010-10-21 18:03 /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/updates/dkms/hid-ntrig.ko
    Apparently my first attempt at this for some reason did not remove the first one. Please move the one in the first listing out and then try again because it is most likely the one that the system is reading:
    Code:
    sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko $HOME
    sudo depmod -a
    You will then need to restart and hopefully we will get better results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Apparently my first attempt at this for some reason did not remove the first one. Please move the one in the first listing out and then try again because it is most likely the one that the system is reading:
    Code:
    sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko $HOME
    sudo depmod -a
    You will then need to restart and hopefully we will get better results.
    Same result, unfortunately (I've confirmed that the older module is no longer there). The touchscreen is definitely being recognized by the OS, however. Here's the output of xinput --list:

[code]⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Receiver id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen id=15 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser id=16 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus id=17 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen id=18 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=20 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech USB Receiver id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Webcam id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=19 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys id=21 [slave keyboard (3)][code]

And here's the output of xinput list-props 15:

[code]Device 'N-Trig Touchscreen':
    Device Enabled (148): 1
    Coordinate Transformation Matrix (150): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
    Device Accel Profile (274): 0
    Device Accel Constant Deceleration (275): 1.000000
    Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (276): 1.000000
    Device Accel Velocity Scaling (277): 10.000000
    Evdev Reopen Attempts (264): 10
    Evdev Axis Inversion (278): 0, 0
    Evdev Axis Calibration (279): <no items>
    Evdev Axes Swap (280): 0
    Axis Labels (281): "Abs X" (272), "Abs Y" (273), "None" (0), "None" (0)
    Button Labels (282): "Button Unknown" (265), "Button Unknown" (265), "Button Unknown" (265), "Button Wheel Up" (154), "Button Wheel Down" (155)
    Evdev Middle Button Emulation (283): 2
    Evdev Middle Button Timeout (284): 50
    Evdev Wheel Emulation (285): 0
    Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (286): 0, 0, 4, 5
    Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (287): 10
    Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (288): 200
    Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (289): 4
    Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (290): 0[code]

Using sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/event9 gives me output whenever I touch the screen and move my finger around. It seems to be just XOrg that's not using the touchscreen as a pointer. I noted the following (twice) in the XOrg log:

Code:
    [    23.642] (II) config/udev: Adding input device N-Trig Touchscreen (/dev/inpu
    t/event9)
    [    23.642] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: Applying InputClass "evdev touchscreen catchall"
    [    23.642] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: always reports core events
    [    23.642] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: Device: "/dev/input/event9"
    [    23.681] (II) N-Trig Touchscreen: Found absolute axes
    [    23.681] (II) N-Trig Touchscreen: Found x and y absolute axes
    [    23.681] (II) N-Trig Touchscreen: Found absolute touchscreen
    [    23.681] (II) N-Trig Touchscreen: Configuring as touchscreen
    [    23.681] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    [    23.681] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
    [    23.681] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "N-Trig Touchscreen" (type: TOUCHSCREEN)
    [    23.681] (II) N-Trig Touchscreen: initialized for absolute axes.
    [    23.682] (II) config/udev: Adding input device N-Trig Touchscreen (/dev/input/mouse2)
    [    23.682] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
    Does the last line mean that the touchscreen is never being attached? Is there a way I can manually attach it as a pointer from inside an X session?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 126 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast