Page 108 of 169 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1689

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nphyx View Post
    Hey guys, long time no see - been way too busy to play with this for a while. I'm wondering if anyone here has any clue how I might get the Win7 firmware installed from Linux on my tx2z. I do not have, and am not willing to install, Win7 at this point (I don't run Windows on this machine anymore). Wine doesn't work (not unexpected but hey, thought I'd give it a shot). Any chance there's some linux util that can extract & install firmware?
    Interesting question. The n-trig windows packages are pretty picky and can sometimes be a bit of a pain to run, even when you're talking about a basic win7 installation. If you really want to try to get it working in wine, it _might_ be possible, but would require a lot of work.

I would guess that there are far easier solutions. I don't know who has time to work on a flasher, but I would be surprised if we don't see something for linux in the next year. If nothing else, we've heard n-trig indicate that they will supply one "eventually".

On a side note, if you still have a pre-win7 firmware installed, would you mind capturing the firmware version code for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi dyslexia and carlos2831,

Thanks to rafiyr I stand corrected. Rafi maybe you could comment on what your calib.c: http://ofb.net/~rafi/calib.c could do and how to use it? You referenced it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1036

Hi mightymergz,

The new two finger gesture patch for xf86-input-wacom in Lucid seems to be working pretty good. Have to clone the latest from the git. Don't know how it will work on the TX2z.

Hi Nphyx,

I hear that is fraught with risk. A Major reason people continue to dual boot. But if you want to live dangerously... I think there's a HOW TO on this forum. Also:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-...der-linux.html
    http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-f...ppy-drive.html
    http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/20...y-cd-in-linux/
    Of course what the linux community is looking for:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi dyslexia and carlos2831,

Thanks to rafiyr I stand corrected. Rafi maybe you could comment on what your calib.c: http://ofb.net/~rafi/calib.c could do and how to use it? You referenced it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1036
    Yeah, I suppose I should comment on that, I've partly been avoiding that since its so much cleaner to run calibration from the kernel (but its now looking like it will be a while before I have enough time to clean up the kernel version).

The calibration code basically is a mimic of what I observed when I click on the reset button in the windows control panel. This is not the traditional touch screen calibration where you are adjusting the sensors to account for drift in offset and scaling. Rather it seems to be more like degaussing an old crt, you are adjusting for the current environment to clean up noise.

To see a demonstration of this (very much like degaussing with a magnet next to a screen), ignore the warnings you see in windows, calibrate with your hand firmly pressed up against the screen (a fun experiment I came up with when trying to see what those commands actually do). After that, you should find the region covered by your hand is dead or at least somewhat less responsive. Note, it might take 2-3 calibrations to get back to normal.

To make this a bit easier, I've posted a tarball with a make file and a run script at http://ofb.net/~rafi/ntrig_utils.tar.bz2.
    Code:
    wget http://ofb.net/~rafi/ntrig_utils.tar.bz2
    tar xjvf ntrig_utils.tar.bz2
    cd ./ntrig_utils
    make && ./calib.sh
    (Warning calib.sh uses sudo to get root privs, its short, so take a peak before you run it)

For a little added bonus that prints out your firmware version before rebinding the device, so please post, particularly those of you with older firmwares.

There are two sleeps in that code, so it will take 10 seconds to run (5 seconds to settle before calibration and 5 in the middle).

This should help with random ghosts clicking on your screen, and unresponsive regions. It most likely won't help at all with the mouse cursor jumping to the top of the screen.

Beans

Hey guys,
    I'm just trying to understand all the different parts that allow the pen and touch to work.

2 issues I'm curious about/trying to fix
    My pen isn't working at the moment.
    My xinput list gives:
    Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                          id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser                           id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus                           id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig MultiTouch                           id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=16    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation            id=17    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    when i try xinput test 13 and move the stylus around the screen there is no output. Does that mean that the kernel is not reporting the pen? Do I have an incorrect module installed? I have latest git clone of xf86-input-wacom installed (i think i do..) and xsetwacom list gives:
    N-Trig Pen eraser ERASER
    N-Trig Pen stylus STYLUS

I was also wondering what the difference is with the N-Trig Touchscreen and N-Trig MultiTouch entries. Only the N-Trig MultiTouch entry gives any output when I try xinput test. Where does xinput get this list of devices from?

Thanks for any insight I'm more interested in how this all fits together rather than just getting it to work

Oh and I'm running Lucid
    Last edited by mightymergz; June 21st, 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mightymergz View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm just trying to understand all the different parts that allow the pen and touch to work.

2 issues I'm curious about/trying to fix
    My pen isn't working at the moment.
    My xinput list gives:
    Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                          id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser                           id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen stylus                           id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig MultiTouch                           id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=16    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation            id=17    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    when i try xinput test 13 and move the stylus around the screen there is no output. Does that mean that the kernel is not reporting the pen? Do I have an incorrect module installed? I have latest git clone of xf86-input-wacom installed (i think i do..) and xsetwacom list gives:
    N-Trig Pen eraser ERASER
    N-Trig Pen stylus STYLUS

I was also wondering what the difference is with the N-Trig Touchscreen and N-Trig MultiTouch entries. Only the N-Trig MultiTouch entry gives any output when I try xinput test. Where does xinput get this list of devices from?

Thanks for any insight I'm more interested in how this all fits together rather than just getting it to work

Oh and I'm running Lucid
    By any chance, did you patch the git version of the wacom driver? If you have not, that is most likely the problem because the driver does not recognize the N-trig device without patching it. You might want to try using the default wacom driver that Ubuntu provides. It already has the patch built in.

As for the difference between the Touchscreen and MultiTouch, only one usually works. The Touchscreen only provides single touch reporting where the MultiTouch provides multiple. If I remember correctly, the firmware that only provides single touch will only have Touchscreen appear, but if the firmware can produce multiple, it will show both. The kernel module is what creates those names.

Beans

That was it! thanks!

I noticed that xsetwacom list does not output anything when the default Lucid wacom drivers are installed. does this mean that 'evdev' is controlling it?

Since this is sort of partially a general tx2 thread, I was wondering if anyone else had tried to get two-finger scrolling to work on the touchpad. I know, I'm a multitouch junky, but this feature worked beautifully out of the box on my 8 year old compaq presario 2800 and I'm having trouble getting it to work on my tx2!

I seem to have gotten it working by setting properties using xinput set-props "Synaptics Two Finger ...". It works fine except for one caveat.. The two finger width seems to be measured vertically on the touchpad. So it only activates when my two fingers are lined up 'vertically' rather than the more natural position of sitting next to each other. It's not too big of an annoyance but I'm curious as to what is causing this...

Beans

I appreciate your hard work to provide convenience for us. But your tutorial is really hard to follow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi carlos2831,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!
    Thanks! And sorry for taking so long to reply, lots of work lately ...

Thank you for sharing your XT2 coordinates. I don't remember another XT2 user doing that. The coordinates are from the TX2z

So for pen/stylus you use?:
    Code:
        Option        "TopX"        "0"
        Option        "TopY"        "0"
        Option        "BottomX"    "9600"
        Option        "BottomY"    "7200"
    But for the touches:
    Code:
        Option        "TopX"        "0"
        Option        "TopY"        "0"
        Option        "BottomX"    "9500"
        Option        "BottomY"    "7200"
    Yes, that's what I use and now that, thanks to your message, I have discovered xidump, I am able to confirm that these settings correspond to the dumped values

I don't know. What coordinate values have you tried for Y? Remember you can use negative numbers like -10.

Since wacomcpl and xidump came with wacom-tools they are not available in Lucid. I have seen one person reporting he was able to use xidump in the /prebuilt folder in his unpacked source tar. I can't, I get an error message regarding a library (libxcb-xlib), which isn't available for Lucid. I haven't checked Xorg to see if I can get it from there or elsewhere and compile it.

That leaves looking at Xorg.0.log in /var/log. When the Wacom driver initializes the device is usually reports coordinates. You can check if they are there and compare them to your current ones in the xorg.conf.

Hope this helps.
    It did help, I had missed xidump on the forums but it's a blessing ! Unfortunately, this does not mean that I will be able to make it work ... As I suspected there must be an issue with the driver as when I am on the lower or right borders of the screen the values go wild and as a consequence I get ghost clicks around the screen. Many of these values are null (on the y axis if I am on the bottom and on the x axis if I am on the right) which results in these infamous jumps ... I am going to try to change the min values to something slightly larger than 0 to avoid the jumps, but I guess this won't solve the other (less frequent) "wild values" ...

Thanks again !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi carlos2831,

Good, I'm glad xidump let you make some progress.

For the ghost values you might want to try Rafi's calib.c in post #1073 above. See if "degaussing" the digitizer helps.

Beans

Hi Favux and Rafi,
    I tried it out but the touchscreen become unresponsive until a reboot ... Are the effects of calib permanent or it should be used on each reboot?

If the effects are permanent good because the unresponsiveness issue is minor (a reboot and problem solved).

Unfortunately, in my case it did not solve the ghost values issue when on the aforementioned borders .... I reallly think it is an issue with the driver that computes bad a mean or something like that...

Oh, I almost forgot, changing the TopX TopY values to 1 in xorg.conf did not change the issue of the overlapping pointer. Instead of obtaining many ghost values of 0 with xidump when on the lower border we get many values of 1 when this change is done ... and the pointer still overlaps to the top of the screen ...

Carlos

Page 108 of 169 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast