Page 106 of 169 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1689

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

For those of you wishing to try out multitouch, I've got a little drawing script floating around which you might enjoy.

http://ofb.net/~rafi/ts_test.tgz

There's also a slightly cleaner (though also slightly behind) version you can grab with
    Code:
    bzr branch lp:~bryceharrington/xdiagnose/ts_test
    Run with
    Code:
    ./ts_test.py -mt_dev /dev/input/eventXX
    where eventXX is your multitouch dev node. Note this will not work if the wacom driver has claimed that device.

Note: this picture drawn on a dell studio17, hence the large dimensions. Also, it was modified with the edge detect feature of imagemagick and is a bit cooler than the orig. These and more are available at http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~rafi/pics/mt
    Last edited by rafiyr; June 7th, 2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: comments on the picture

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rafiyr View Post
    Are you specifically trying to get the wacom 2 finger gestures working for touch? If not, just use evdev and be done with that. I'd actually recommend not using xorg.conf for the ntrig stuff on lucid.

Make sure your hid-ntrig module is relatively current (2010 05 04) (look in /sys/bus/hid/devices/*1B96*, you should see nodes like "activate_slack and "min_width"). If you don't see those, go back to updating the kernel module.

Try the stock xorg auto config stuff, no additional udev rules or modified xorg.conf.d files, except the wacom config. You can grab the current version of that from
    http://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.ne...m.conf;hb=HEAD it goes in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ The old version probably has a different number, so make sure you account for that when you replace it.

Rotation will take a slightly different approach, there was a recent post with a script to handle both evdev and wacom rotation.
    There are two 1B96 folder..

/sys/bus/hid/devices/0003:1B96:0001.0001 which won't open (pointer keeps showing somthing busy)

and

/sys/bus/hid/devices/0003:1B96:0001.0002 which got those two nodes you've mentioned..

issit okay If I proceed ?
    could these 2 folders is an indication I got 2 conflicting device driver?

oh btw my only is to rotate the touchscreen.. which is failed by using "xsetwacom set touch rotate Half" command

thank you for your reply

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by anjingbalap View Post
    /sys/bus/hid/devices/0003:1B96:0001.0002 which got those two nodes you've mentioned..

issit okay If I proceed ?
    could these 2 folders is an indication I got 2 conflicting device driver?

oh btw my only is to rotate the touchscreen.. which is failed by using "xsetwacom set touch rotate Half" command
    thank you for your reply
    2 is normal for ntrigs, I don't really know why. Typically I'd say use the nodes in the second dir.

You're welcome to try out my rotation shell script, it will catch all pointers with "N-Trig" in the name (so go with the autoconfigured devices, or modify the script), and handle wacom and evdev settings appropriately.

http://ofb.net/~rafi/xrotate.zsh

(I can't remember if lucid installs zsh, if not, "apt-get install zsh").

Note, once you update the wacom file in xorg.conf.d and pull out the manual configurations for the ntrig devices, you should have something like this:
    Code:
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen eraser                         id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen                                id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig MultiTouch                         id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                        id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    where the two pen devices are wacom and the touch are evdev.

Beans

I'm back after a long hiatus.

I just installed maverick to have a look.

Out of the box most things work (I imagine just like 10.04), touch works stylus works (those who have to have wireless should hold of though the STA drivers fail to build at the moment).

xinput list shows the multitouch device an I hop to play around with it later.

Touch performance is a bit of a split, when trying to 'click' somewhere responsiveness is amazing a world apart from the last time I had touch working in ubuntu.
    But when making a continues motion like dragging something or trying to draw a straight line that just does not come of right like the screenshot from xournal I hope shows.
    Xournal.png

Side questions:
    - Has anyone succeeded in getting those other two bezel buttons working? (the rotate and 'settings' buttons)

- Ever since lucid the battery indicators only tell me percentages and don't give time estimates is that only by me or is everyone having that problem?

PS: the firmware version I have now is 2.239 I temporarily installed win 7 64 bit just to get that into the screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markginter24 View Post
    wow - pardon my ignorance, but do I just copy the .c file into the kernel source tree somewhere and then compile? I could follow the instructions to apply the patch - but this .c file is a little confusing.

So anyway --

Yes - I'm able to download the kernel source.

EDIT

I was able to use the installer - it downloaded, compiled and I rebooted.

OK - seems to be working with the altered udev rules (the 61 one) and the minimal xorg.conf.

Rotate works, setting devices on and off works -- so why didn't it work with the default udev rules?
    Hi, I'm trying get mine to work. I used the installer, ok. But what is that altered udev rules (the 61 one)?

So, otherwise I seem to have similar situation than markginter24 had before that post.

Edit: so far stylus and touch don't rotate.

My 61-ntrig rules:
    Code:
    # udev rules for n-trig tablets.
    #
    # These rules were compiled for the Ubuntu/Debian GNU/Linux distribution, but others may,
    # and indeed are encouraged to, use them also.
    #
    # Should you do so, PLEASE CO-ORDINATE ANY CHANGES OR ADDITIONS of new devices with ????
    # so that we can try to present users with a standard set of device nodes which they can
    # rely on across the board.

KERNEL!="event[0-9]*", GOTO="n-trig_end"

# To mirror linuxwacom, we keep the input/n-trig link as the generic stylus device.
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Touchscreen", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-touch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig MultiTouch", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-mttouch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Pen", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Pen", ATTRS{phys}=="usb-0000:00:14.5-2/input1", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-win7"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Pen", ATTRS{phys}=="usb-0000:00:14.5-2/input0", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-vista"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Touchscreen", ATTRS{phys}=="usb-0000:00:14.5-2/input0", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-vista-touch"

# Check and repossess the device if a module other than the n-trig/linuxwacom one is
    # already bound to it.
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b96", ACTION=="add", RUN+="check_driver wacom $devpath $env{ID_BUS}"

LABEL="n-trig_end"
    My xorg.conf
    Code:
    # commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and auto-detects devices
    # Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup
    #Section "InputDevice" 
    #    Identifier        "stylus" 
    #    Driver            "wacom" 
    #    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.0-event-mouse"
    #    Option            "Type"        "stylus"
    #    Option            "USB"         "on" 
    #    Option            "Button2"     "3"  # make side-switch a right button 
    #    Option        "TopX"        "0"
    #    Option        "TopY"        "0"
    #    Option        "BottomX"    "9600"
    #    Option        "BottomY"    "7200"
    #EndSection 
    #Section "InputDevice" 
    #      Identifier        "eraser" 
    #      Driver            "wacom" 
    #    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/wacom"
    #      Option            "Type"           "eraser"
    #      Option            "USB"            "on" 
    #EndSection 
    #Section "InputDevice" 
    #    Identifier        "touch" 
    #    Driver            "wacom" 
    #    Option        "Device"    "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.0-event-mouse"
    #    Option          "Type"           "touch"
    #    Option          "USB"            "on" 
    #    Option        "TopX"        "0"
    #    Option        "TopY"        "0"
    #    Option        "BottomX"    "9600"
    #    Option        "BottomY"    "7200"
    #EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier    "Default Screen"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Virtual	3200 1080
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load    "glx"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier    "Default Layout"
    	Screen        "Default Screen"
    	#    InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
    	#   Remove the comment below if you have an eraser.
    	#    InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
    	#    InputDevice    "touch"        "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier    "Default Device"
    	Driver	"fglrx"
    EndSection
    Markku
    Last edited by markkupaakkonen; June 9th, 2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added xorg.conf

Beans

I upgraded to Lucid on a tx2z, and my stylus and touchscreen worked right from the beginning, so I didn't really want to mess with the xorg.conf. However, all of the methods I can find to accomplish rotation rely on the xsetwacom commands, which (I'm assuming) require an appropriate xorg.conf--is this correct?

My problem is that xsetwacom doesn't seem to recognize my devices. Specifically, "xsetwacom list" returns nothing. By contrast, "xinput list" returns the following:
    Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech Optical USB Mouse                id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                        id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen                                id=13   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig MultiTouch                         id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation          id=18   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                              id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP Webcam                                 id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=15   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                            id=17   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Is there any way to get rotation working without the xsetwacom commands? Or, failing that, how can I get xsetwacom to recognize my devices? I've tried modifying 10-wacom.conf as described in this thread, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Hi Keeper of the Keys,

Welcome back!

Hi armandhr,

If you look at your Xorg.0.log in /var/log I think you'll find the evdev driver has your n-trig. In Lucid (I'm guessing you are in Lucid) Rafi actually recommends evdev for touch. You probably want to switch your stylus/pen to the wacom driver.

There are several "evdev" rotation scripts linked in the HOW TO, see "5) Rotation to tablet" "b) Using evdev for touch and the Wacom drivers for the stylus".

Hi markkupaakkonen,

What release are you in, Lucid? What's your firmware? What driver does Xorg.0.log tell you has your digitizer? Are you trying to configure through 10-wacom.conf, since you aren't using xorg.conf?

See evdev rotate links above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post

Hi markkupaakkonen,

What release are you in, Lucid? What's your firmware? What driver does Xorg.0.log tell you has your digitizer? Are you trying to configure through 10-wacom.conf, since you aren't using xorg.conf?

See evdev rotate links above.
    Hi Favux, I'm in Lucid, vista firmware, fglrx (the one that comes with lucid) and I used the installer for Ntrig.

Attached xorg.0.log in two parts.

I'll take a look at the evdev rotate links.

Edit xinput list

Code:
    xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Receiver                   	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                      	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen                              	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen                              	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                      	id=15	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=17	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation        	id=18	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP Webcam                               	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=16	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=19	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    thanks, Markku
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by markkupaakkonen; June 10th, 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added xinput list

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi markkupaakkonen,

From the Xorg.0.log it looks like evdev has everything.

Alright, using the installer you should have the latest hid-ntrig.ko, the 5-4-10 version. So you are ahead of where sacredpotato etc. were.

The problem you're running into is the vista firmware. As you can see you have duplicate device names. It gives them to both the if0 channel and if1 channel, but only the if0 channel is valid. Ayuthia explains this in post $1031 p. 104.

What he's attempting to do with the new udev rules in p. 102, post #1011 is give the if1 channel devices different names (Vista in them), to distinguish them from the real shorter if0 names. Follow.

So the solution would probably be to update to the 2.239 firmware like Ayuthia recommends. I don't know however if you can do that in Vista. You'll have to check the HP site.

Anway that's what the blue highlighted stuff means. I'm steering you towards that in an attempt to "standarize" things.

Beans

Thanks Favux.

Well, I don't have windows installed on this and I wouldn't really want to go back there right now. So, touch and pen are working just fine right now (actually better than in karmic), they just don't rotate and maybe I just disable Magick rotation for tablet use for the time being if updating the firmware would be the only solution.

I'll take a look here from time to time to check if something new comes up

Cheers.

Page 106 of 169 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast