Page 104 of 169 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1689

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markginter24 View Post
    wow - pardon my ignorance, but do I just copy the .c file into the kernel source tree somewhere and then compile? I could follow the instructions to apply the patch - but this .c file is a little confusing.

So anyway --

Yes - I'm able to download the kernel source.

EDIT

I was able to use the installer - it downloaded, compiled and I rebooted.

OK - seems to be working with the altered udev rules (the 61 one) and the minimal xorg.conf.

Rotate works, setting devices on and off works -- so why didn't it work with the default udev rules?
    The default udev rules did not work as well because of how the vista firmware is built. It creates two different input devices sections (if0 and if1) and they all get input events. The current kernel module also sees the two different device sections and creates a pen and touchscreen option for each section. Unfortunately the kernel module creates two pens and touchscreen devices with the exact same name. The driver will then go out and assign itself to the last one created (if1). However, the firmware will only send data to the first one (if0). Because of this, we run into problems.

The new set of udev rules will search for the if0 version and create a unique symbolic link to it so that the system can find it and use that one instead of the if1 version. This set of udev rules will only work for the tx2z laptops. The Dell laptops have a different name which I will try to address soon (I had it set up, but I wiped it out accidentally when I rebuilt Lucid).

Hopefully that helps you understand it better instead of confusing you more.

EDIT:
    By the way, which patch were you missing?
    EDIT 2:
    Nevermind. I just re-read your post and found that I misread it. I get it now.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; May 20th, 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

Very Interesting! Makes much more sense. Really boils down to a Tx2z issue. Sigh...

Thanks for the time/info. Seems to work great now.

Any possibility that multi-touch might be supported with this vista firmware? I suppose the only other solution would be to upgrade the windows partition to win7?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by markginter24 View Post
    Very Interesting! Makes much more sense. Really boils down to a Tx2z issue. Sigh...

Thanks for the time/info. Seems to work great now.

Any possibility that multi-touch might be supported with this vista firmware? I suppose the only other solution would be to upgrade the windows partition to win7?
    As far as I know, the vista firmware does not support multi-touch in Linux. That firmware only provided enough information for two fingers in Linux. 2.59 also provides only one finger with the current source. There is a patch available that can switch it to multi-touch but in some cases it would bring up a lot of ghost touches. Then the 2.184 version only provided two fingers. The rest though have been providing four fingers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sacredpotato View Post
    yes I get that track pad pause for just a split second after a ctrl+c
    @sacredpotato, thanks for the reply, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'd like to file a bug report in launchpad, but I want to try to narrow down the cause a bit. Based on my limited understanding it seems likely to be either the graphics driver, or the X server. Could you tell me, what graphics driver are you using?

If anyone else has information on this, please feel free to reply.

Jake

Beans

still cannot get touchscreen to rotate

Hi guys..

I've bought my tx2z-1300 about 2 weeks ago (and manage to get cigarette burns on the stylus after 2 days lol)

but that's not my concern since the stylus is still working fine..

I'm using ubuntu lucid from fresh install (dual booting with win7) which works fine
    upgrade it to latest kernel (uhm.. 22 is the last number if i recalled correctly)
    I'm using 2.239 firmware that Ayuthia's recommending

follow the guide on the first page (the first step I'm using Ayuthia's tarball.. wich is convinient enough for me .. great job)
    modifyin' xorg.conf

and everything works fine.. On the laptop mode...

the problem comes when I tried to rotate my laptop to tablet mode

I'm rotating with this script:
    #!/bin/bash

xrandr -o inverted && xsetwacom set "stylus" Rotate HALF && xsetwacom set "touch" Rotate HALF && xsetwacom set "mttouch" Rotate HALF
    exit 0
    and the screen goes okay.. the pen works fine.. but the touch screen seems to have this weird behaviour

there's mouse pointer at the point I'm touching there's also another pointer right on the opposite side (as if there are 2 drivers working on my pointer)

then to check it out I tried xsetwacom set touch rotate HALF ... nothing happens... the pointer still thinks the screen is not rotated

tried xwacom set mttouch rotate HALF then it happens (2 pointers..)

maybe the "touch" section is not setting up right?

here's my xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "dri"
    Load "drm"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "fglrx"
    # Driver "radeon"
    # Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Trackpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse"
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/n-trig"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "Button2" "3"
    Option "TopX" "0"
    Option "TopY" "0"
    Option "BottomX" "9600"
    Option "BottomY" "7200"
    EndSection

# Remove the comments below if you have an eraser. Dell XT & XT2?
    #Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "eraser"
    # Driver "wacom"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/input/n-trig"
    # Option "Type" "eraser"
    # Option "USB" "on"
    #EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "touch"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/n-trig-touch"
    Option "Type" "touch"
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "TopX" "0"
    Option "TopY" "0"
    Option "BottomX" "9600"
    Option "BottomY" "7200"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "mttouch"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/n-trig-mttouch"
    Option "Type" "touch"
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "TopX" "0"
    Option "TopY" "0"
    Option "BottomX" "9600"
    Option "BottomY" "7200"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "X.org Configured"
    # Identifier "Default Layout"
    # Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    # Remove the comment below if you have an eraser.
    # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "touch" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "mttouch" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Trackpad"
    EndSection
    now I'm reading this thread up untill page 40-ish and you guys seemed not to be bothered by this...
    did I do something wrong or.. I'm just not reading this thread far enough?

help...
    Last edited by anjingbalap; June 1st, 2010 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I still need to figure out the decoding for firmware version numbers and haven't
    had time to collect much of a sample. So if you would like to try these and want to see improved feedback for your digitizer, please run the firmware tool and post your firmware version, and if possible the version numbers reported by windows.

The source (promise to clean before any formal release), is available at
    http://ofb.net/~rafi/firmware.c
    and
    http://ofb.net/~rafi/set_mode.c

compile:
    Code:
    gcc -lusb firmware.c -o firmware
    gcc -lusb set_mode.c -o set_mode
    I don't know if you will need to use sudo when running them. You will need to unbind the digitizer from hid-ntrig and usbhid (or just rmmod the modules)
    Code:
    sudo rmmod hid-ntrig usbhid
    for the firmware tool, but not the set_mode tool.

Firmware takes no arguments and you should just get output like this:
    Code:
    firmware version: 0c001a08 a5210000
    mode: 0d030000
    In this case, my firmware version is 4.6.17.13.5 (from the software package 3. 49) (btw, six fingers on my xt (maybe)).

The 0x03 in the mode code is the actual value. So far the windows tools seem
    to set:
    0 pen only
    1 touch only
    2 (weird yucky mode that I hate)
    3 pen and touch

It seems to accept higher values, but I have no idea if they are even safe to play with, and wouldn't recommend doing so.

Set mode just takes the mode number, it can run live without unloading or mucking about at all.

Anyway, thanks for the previous feedback. Oh and I've also posted calib.c in the same location for anyone desperate to try out calibration (like firmware, run it with the device released). I'm working on moving all of this to kernel space, its just a little different and taking a bit of time.

Beans

@rafi, do you know anything about the issue in which accelerator keys cause the touchpad to briefly lose responsiveness? I mentioned this here, and @sacredpotato confirmed that it happens to him as well. I'm not sure if this might be tied into the n-trig drivers bundled with ubuntu, the radeon graphics driver, the X server, or something else.

If you have any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks,

Jake

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by otakuj462 View Post
    @rafi, do you know anything about the issue in which accelerator keys cause the touchpad to briefly lose responsiveness? I mentioned this here, and @sacredpotato confirmed that it happens to him as well. I'm not sure if this might be tied into the n-trig drivers bundled with ubuntu, the radeon graphics driver, the X server, or something else.

If you have any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks,

Jake
    Sorry, haven't seen that. Sounds pretty strange to me. Is this a new problem? If so, do you have a sense of when it started (and possibly why).

Please verify that you are talking about the little touch pad and not the touch screen.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by otakuj462 View Post

Jake
    You might check dmesg to see if it comes up with anything. I have had similar issues with the touchpad (not the touchscreen) when rotating the lid. It has not happened to me in a while so I have not looked into it.

Beans

I tot i might update the details...

here's my xinput list output:
    HTML Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ stylus                                      id=6    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ touch                                       id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ mttouch                                     id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Trackpad                                    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Pen                                  id=15    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig MultiTouch                           id=16    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ N-Trig Touchscreen                          id=17    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation            id=19    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=13    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HP Webcam                                   id=14    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=18    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    is this supposed to be correct?

Page 104 of 169 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast