Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X 10.6 was just released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Mac OS X 10.6 was just released.

Not interested in getting it .. Still on 10.5.8

Beans
    Hidden!

My friend just upgraded to leopard a month ago.

Already out of date haha. Apparently this updates a lot less expensive though?
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    My friend just upgraded to leopard a month ago.

Already out of date haha. Apparently this updates a lot less expensive though?
    Leopard was released in October 2007. Seems he was late to the game.

This upgrade is $29 as opposed to the former $129.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EDavidBurg View Post
    I've had some issues with Time Machine, but I've got a new external hard drive. I'm going to buy Snow Leopard sometime in the next couple days, backup and do a clean install/time machine recovery.
    What issues have had with Time machine? My experience with it is very good . Totally set and forget.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    What issues have had with Time machine? My experience with it is very good . Totally set and forget.
    It wasn't so much an issue with Time Machine. I was backing up to a 100GB partition on a disk, with the rest of the disk used for storage (not the same data, obviously, and all stuff I didn't care about too much). When I filled up the 100GB, I tried to shuffle the partitions around, and even though it appeared to have succeeded on Windows (the partitions I was manipulating were NTFS), neither OS X nor GParted recognized the new partitions. Since I can still read it from windows, I'm moving that data over to its own hard drive, and I'm growing the Time Machine partition to use the rest of the space.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    It almost makes me want a Mac, until I look at Macbook prices. Then I remember I'm a college student with no job, lock myself in my room, and cry.
    Don't feel too bad, I don't think you're missing out on a whole lot (and no, that is not a flame - I was formerly a strictly Mac user and still have a MacBook in the house). OS X is awful purdy, but I've found there isn't an whole lot that I can't do on Ubuntu that I was doing on my Mac. Just be patient, college won't last forever and one of these days you'll eventually be able to afford that MacBook you're longing for. Speaking of college, doesn't Apple give students some pretty significant discounts?
    Registered Linux user #39144

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Katalog View Post
    Don't feel too bad, I don't think you're missing out on a whole lot (and no, that is not a flame - I was formerly a strictly Mac user and still have a MacBook in the house). OS X is awful purdy, but I've found there isn't an whole lot that I can't do on Ubuntu that I was doing on my Mac. Just be patient, college won't last forever and one of these days you'll eventually be able to afford that MacBook you're longing for. Speaking of college, doesn't Apple give students some pretty significant discounts?
    They do...but they aren't much in the grand scheme of things. A $2300 computer being sold for $1999 is still a $2000 computer.

In all honesty-the only thing that my Powerbook I computed on for 4 years had on that none of my subsequent computers did not have was a shiny anodized aluminum case. OSX is pretty, but completely uncustomizable, even in comparison to Windows much less Linux.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Katalog View Post
    My school has a special discount. It also comes with a lot of extras so it ends up costing a bit more but the price of the laptop is like $230 cheaper then the standard edu discount. This is the current package

• Apple MacBook Pro
    • 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    • 4GB RAM
    • 320GB Hard Drive
    • Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • 15-inch widescreen glossy LED-backlit display, backlit keyboard

• Airport Extreme card and Bluetooth
    • SD card slot
    • Built-in 7-hour battery
    • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics controller with 256MB RAM

• 3-year AppleCare Protection Plan
    • Verbatim 250GB portable FireWire hard drive
    • FireWire adapter cable
    • 5-foot CAT6 Ethernet cable
    • Targus Spruce EcoSmart messenger laptop bag

comes to about $2300
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm showing a Sept. 1 delivery date when I check the status on my order, KiwiNZ, so don't feel too bad. You're not alone!

Is it just me, or does UbuntuForums now suddenly feel snappier?
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    I'm showing a Sept. 1 delivery date when I check the status on my order, KiwiNZ, so don't feel too bad. You're not alone!

Is it just me, or does UbuntuForums now suddenly feel snappier?
    Are you browsing it in Safari? If so, then yes.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast