Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you hate Linux/Ubuntu when you first time used it

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Did you hate Linux/Ubuntu when you first time used it

Well I hated Ubuntu it was my first Linux experience . It was about 6 months ago I requested for an Ubuntu CD it arrived I dual booted it with XP and I absolutely hated it thinking it was too difficult
    and lacks compatibility .
    But I kept experimenting with it and with the help of wonderful community I was able to explore and slowly I began to fall in love
    with it .

Linux is not love at first sight by the way

I completely formated Xp and now use Ubuntu as the only OS .Now I wonder why everybody is not using this wonderful OS .
    When I ask my friends the question "why don't you use Ubuntu or Linux in general" ..they reply " its command based and very difficult and is for only technical people "

When I show them my Pc running ubuntu and tell them how stable and reliable it is tell them about free and open softwares
    they are surprised .Many of my friends are dual booting Ubuntu .
    I hope they will be all Ubuntu soon .

I want all Ubuntu users to join computing forums and tell the people that Ubuntu is very user friendly and it is no more for "techies only"
    Last edited by asifnaz; October 29th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Did you hate Linux/Ubuntu when you first time used it

My first jab at Linux was long before Ubuntu was around, probably 1999. It was a hellish nightmare just trying to get basic things working, but I probably learned a lot during that period.

I dropped it for an easy life after a week or so, picking up opensuse years later.

Beans
    Hidden!

i just remember thinking how similar it was to windows. i mean, what do you mostly use a pc for nowadays? file browser and web browser. the interface is really the same. but i guess everyone's different.. my mother still double-clicks web links because she doesn't see the diference between desktop icons and web links in a browser.

i thought ubuntu was pretty ugly when i first used it, but themes were so much easier than in windows. i started using ubuntu with 5.04 or 5.10, so it did look pretty ugly compared to now.

obviously i had command line nightmares with wireless etc, but that wasn't my fiiirrrst impressions

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by aeiah View Post
    i just remember thinking how similar it was to windows. i mean, what do you mostly use a pc for nowadays? file browser and web browser. the interface is really the same. but i guess everyone's different.. my mother still double-clicks web links because she doesn't see the diference between desktop icons and web links in a browser.

i thought ubuntu was pretty ugly when i first used it, but themes were so much easier than in windows. i started using ubuntu with 5.04 or 5.10, so it did look pretty ugly compared to now.

obviously i had command line nightmares with wireless etc, but that wasn't my fiiirrrst impressions
    Ya I thought even Ubuntu 10.04 was ugly . But little twiks made it so good looking that even windows 7 looks crap now

Beans
    Hidden!

I used DOS and Windows 98, once you have had that experience you will love any OS.

Also, it's Ubuntu Linux or Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Linux/Ubuntu just gets everyone confused. Linux isn't Ubuntu.

First Linux-based OS was Red Hat. I can't remember when, but it was great. I didn't really start using it again until I found SUSE on a laptop that I was using at my Grandad's house. He said he got a free disk with a PC mag.
    Last edited by Spice Weasel; October 29th, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I loved the short time I had with it in a course about 15 years ago and when a job I had a few years ago made me use Red Hat and then CentOS I was quite pleased to catch up with it. I loved Ubuntu so much on first contact that it soon replaced CentOS (server) and Windows XP (Desktop(s)) at home.

I changed the server at work over from Windows 2003 Server running Domain Controller and some business management software into Ubuntu Server running DC and a VM (VirtualBox) of 2003 Server running that business management software - logins for both are much more robust than before.

My Boss led his own conversion from Windows to Ubuntu by bitching about Windows in front of me and lapping it up when I told him Ubuntu could give him a more continuous experience of using his computer to do business. He keeps a VM of XP to access that business software on the VM on the server.

My family got together and bought me a little laptop for my fortieth, it came with some or other version of Windows 7 - I spent all of 20 minutes checking it out before I started making a bootable USB to install 9.10 on it - live updated to 10.04 on that laptop, with it's encrypted home directory, no hiccups - no problem with any hardware I noticed in that upgrade.

My Boss had me do the same to his most recent laptop - bit of mucking around with the internal webcam but otherwise no problems. He takes glee in updating and seeing whether or not he needs to call me to his work station to make all his stuff accessible again.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Hidden!

When I noticed Linux I fell in love.
    No more frustrating hours of crashes and lags.
    Thank you God (Linus) for this I also thank everyone on the GNU team and other program writers for Linux.
    Last edited by limestone; October 29th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I first tried Linux (mostly Fedora and a couple of other distros) in mid-2005. I was impressed but endured 3 months of teeth-grinding frustration trying to get internet working properly. I, or rather my router firmware, had fallen foul of the IPv6 problem and I knew next to nothing about networking then. But I persisted, and learnt about networking, and eventually solved the internet problem. Which is why I have difficulty feeling sympathetic when a newbie comes on these boards demanding that a trivial problem be fixed NOW.

And I well remember an epiphany moment later that year when I found myself using Suse 9.3 for most of my computing needs. I felt the iron grip of Microsoft loosen from around my throat. Aaaah! Relief! I tried Ubuntu 5.04 and 5.10, but the release of Dapper Drake (6.06) got me using Ubuntu regularly ever since. You will see posts complaining about each new release of Ubuntu, but for me every release (with the exception of the Edgy 6.10) has been a great improvement.

So....

Quote Originally Posted by asifnaz View Post
    Did you hate Linux/Ubuntu when you first time used it
    No.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I first tried Linux about three years ago. Haven't heard ubuntu then. I tried a customized version of Knoppix which is included in a book of Marcel Gagne found in our university Library. It's really frustrating because it's very different from what I'm used to.
    I hated it because the GUI sucks! Other than that, my journey is quite well. It takes a lot of time getting used to.
    Last edited by nerdtron; October 29th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I started using Linux with SuSE 5.3 way back in 1998. I loved it then even though I had a lot to learn and setup was more involved. I found the whole experience very rewarding actually, and within three month of my first install was using Linux for 90% of my needs. Now, I don't even have a Windows partition on my laptop anymore and use Linux for everything.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast