Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KeePassX: hash test failed

KeePassX: hash test failed

while opening my database:

The following error occured while opening the database:
    Hash test failed.
    The key is wrong or the file is damaged.
    i'm PRETTY FREAKED right now as it contained about 100 entries..
    please help!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: KeePassX: hash test failed

That is why you should always backup ...... if you do have a backup of your file , try to open it (it will be file with .kdb extension )

how is this possible anyway? i remember KeyPassX complained of not being able to save the file.
    any chance the recover them?

Beans

I've just had same problem. I changed my password (for OS and Keypassx) to a 16 character password. And it seems to me that since then I've had this problem. I cannot open a backup copy I keep nor can I open an archived copy which was saved with my old password. As for other users, I have 100s of passwords which I can't now access. ANy useful info out there?
    Ta, Phillgg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by phillgg View Post
    I've just had same problem. I changed my password (for OS and Keypassx) to a 16 character password. And it seems to me that since then I've had this problem. I cannot open a backup copy I keep nor can I open an archived copy which was saved with my old password. As for other users, I have 100s of passwords which I can't now access. ANy useful info out there?
    Ta, Phillgg

Did you set any keyfile for your keepassx.?

Beans

! No !

Beans

How embarrassing! I thought I had changed the password, couldn't log in, but the old password wouldn't work either. It turns out I hadn't changed my password and I suddenly remembered the correct 'old' password today. Apologies if I've wasted anyone's time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

glad i came upon this even tho i don't have a solution for the OP i'm now gonna back up my pw file.
    Laptop - Dell Latitude Intel Core Duo CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz w/ 1 Gb Ram Mobile 945GM 60gb Toshiba Hdd
    Desktop - Hp Pavilion AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU @ 2.1GHz w/ 2 Gb Ram 160gb Seagate Barracuda Hdd - 500gb Maxtor and 250gb

Beans

In my particular case this error message only appears on Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx).
    Using the exact same .kdb file works fine on Windows and OS X.
    So it's not a corrupt file.

Beans

Solution

The resolution for this (for those people who are using keyfiles generated *on different operating systems).

The problem is the file encoding. I generated my key on linux, and on Win XP it didn't work with the aforementioned error. The answer was to save the keyfile as "UNIX" type and the encoding as UTF-8. Various adjustments to this based on your environment should fix the problem.
    Last edited by bepoka; February 25th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast