Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dreamweaver Open Source Equivalent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Dreamweaver Open Source Equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by akakingess View Post
    Aptana looks to concentrate on actual web applications, and not necessarily on web site development. I could be mistaken cuz i just took a quick look, but doesn't mean it's not bad at what it does, just don't think that it does site development. Keep the input coming, though, we need all the eyes and ears we can get, like I stated earlier, I am just waiting for an open-source alternative to CS3 and then I can finally say GOODBYE WINDOWS!!!!
    According to the website, it does everything:
    Unified Editing for Web Apps

Aptana Studio's editors provide world-class HTML, CSS, and JavaScript code completion, reference, and validation at your fingertips.
    Ajax and JavaScript Libraries

Get unrivaled support for popular libraries including jQuery, Prototype, YUI, dojo, Ext JS, MooTools, and others.
    PHP, Ruby on Rails and Python

Add powerful plugins and ready-to-use runtimes for PHP, Ruby on Rails, and Python. Add Studio to Eclipse for Java.
    Desktop Ajax

Use your skills to create desktop web applications with our plugin for Adobe AIR.
    Free, Open Source and Cross Platform

Download Aptana Studio for Windows, Mac, or Linux. Both the standalone and Eclipse plugin distributions are free, open source software.
    Yeah, it's in there.

Multi-browser previews, SQL database tools, an awesome JavaScript debugger, server tail views, and tons more.
    It isn't free/opensource, but it says it's fully Linux compat, so maybe we're making headway after all.
    Toshiba Satellite L45-S4687
    1GB RAM 80GB HDD
    DVD-RW 2GB Flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In your quote it says the standalone and the eclipse plugin versions of Aptana are Free, Open Source Software.

Aptana Studio is free, open source software.
    edit: But then again I can't find where you can obtain the source code. They also have a 'pro'version for $100. So now I'm confused.

2nd edit: awww, found where you can get the source and the pro version comes with support and early access to new builds.
    Last edited by jerome1232; August 27th, 2009 at 08:53 AM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by darksideforge View Post
    According to the website, it does everything:

It isn't free/opensource, but it says it's fully Linux compat, so maybe we're making headway after all.
    Again, I see a whole lot of "Apps Development" but not necessarily design. Maybe it's just me but I see a difference, sure we definitely use plenty of apps on our sites nowadays, but that does not mean that it can 'design' the site. I hope I am wrong and will give it a shot over my weeekend Sun/Mon/Tues and see what all the software entails.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mapes12 View Post
    I maintain a couple of hobby websites for which I have one ******* box left to use Dreamweaver to keep the sites up to date etc. I've had a Google around for an open source equivalent but somewhat confused as to the potential applications. Quanta Plus has good reviews but it doesn't appear to have any development work done since 2004.

Any input / suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA

Mark
    I've had mixed results with Seamonkey Composer, terrible results with Kompozer, and am still experimenting with Amaya. What I'm really enjoying learning with is both gedit and Aptana. While these last two are not WYSIWYG editors, I've had great results with editing the actual code in both gedit and Aptana, and then pulling up the edited site file in Firefox...and then refreshing after every change so that I can check my progress. Between that and some online tutorials I've found for html and xml, I feel like I'm doing pretty well with it to have only been doing it for a little over a month and being completely self-taught (well, with this forum I suppose it's not exactly correct to say totally SELF-taught, but close enough.
    Toshiba Satellite L45-S4687
    1GB RAM 80GB HDD
    DVD-RW 2GB Flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm also a former Dreamweaver user, I was (and am) extremely disappointed that an Operating system that has been seen as "the OS for coders" in the past, lacked anything like Dreamweaver.....

the best I've found is Bluefish, I love how it is geared toward many different programming languages, but it lacks certain features.......

Kompozer has plug-in issues as far as I know, I couldn't find many for it and was told it's because they were implemented so badly you might as well not use them.....

never heard of Vim, I'll have to try it....

I think I tried seamonkey,if it's the one I'm thinking of.....it's very simplistic, but then all you really need to code is a text editor most of the time lol

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

has anything changed in this area as far as an open source equiv to dreamweaver? I know this is an old post but very curious about this? Basically what I am looking for is a place to add a website so I can edit colors and formatting in real time to see my changes. Im a complete noob to web design and don't know the first thing but someone told me to check out dreamweaver but I am an UBUNTU user till the end.

It's just for a hobby website/forum which is currently installed on my home server. It's SMF (simple machines forums) version 1.1.11 installed on 10.04. I don't know HTML or any langauge. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

I used to use Dreamweaver years ago, but I found that after I started to understand HTML (with the help of a couple of books and a bit of Internet research) I ended up hand editing all of Dreamweavers pages in notepad (yes this was before I saw the light.. )
    Now I tend to use CMS like wordpress or gallery2 (I am into photography) and tweak the design with Bluefish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't see what's wrong with a bog standard text editor (as long as it does line numbering and syntax highlighting).

And obviously, tabbed editing, session remembrance, and a few other gubbins
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

i still prefer dreamweaver, it just makes the job easy...I need something like it for my ubuntu 11.04..any ideas?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123