Thread: Is there anything like MediaMonkey on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is there anything like MediaMonkey on Ubuntu?

I've made the (accidental and complete) switch to Ubuntu when I was trying to merge my windows and Ubuntu partitions, thus deleting both OSes from my computer. While I didn't want this, on the other hand, I had nothing of value and this meant killing Windows. Anyway with that came the loss of Media Monkey. I know they themselves have a guide on how to play it in Ubuntu and I can get everything to pop up, but, whe it comes to playing my music it just scans it. And doesn't play anything. I followed all of the instructions (Install Wine, install Wine Tricks, install the thing for MP3). I just gave up. I've also very recently (A day now) so that probably doesn't help. So I went to look for the next best thing. Exaile. I went to download that from the Exaile site but it told me the key was missing. I've followed the instructions on the site and no luck whatsoever. I've managed to install similar files but not this one. I want to install the tar.gz but honestly that's a bit too complicated since I've heard you have to compile and I'm not too familiar with that. Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is there anything like MediaMonkey on Ubuntu?

I can get everything to pop up, but, whe it comes to playing my music it just scans it. And doesn't play anything.
    Sounds like your music files are located on a drive or partition that is not currently mounted.

I have been known to be wrong, however.

tgeer
    "Programming is an art form that fights back."

HP Pavillion DV9500T 17" Notebook • 2.2GHz Core2 Duo • 4GB RAM • Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS 512MB
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 [64-bit]+Gnome+Compiz from HD / Puppy Linux 4.2.1SMP in RAM from USB Flash

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

To install Exaile, open a terminal and run this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install exaile

Beans

I am using MediaMonkey on an XP guest within VirtualBox on Ubuntu host.

My set-up.
    Ubuntu 9.04 (my HOST OS) - Sun VirtualBox 3.0.4 with a Virtual Machine (my GUEST OS) XP 64 bit. VirtualBox Guest Additions installed. Link follows to solve my problem to installing Guest Additions.
    -http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...27&postcount=7 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...27&postcount=7)

My computer is an Intel that has virtualisation capability, and is enabled in the BIOS of the motherboard.

1st HDD [OSs] = 80gb with XP 1st partition and Ubuntu installed after the XPs NTFS partition at end of drive.
    2nd HDD [Data] = 750(ish) gb 2x partitions both NTFS. All my music files as FLAC+jpg on 2nd partition. This was the source for the Monkey while on the native running XP OS install.
    MediaMonkey is not accessing any Files/Folders on Ubuntu 'per say' just caching Images and MediaMonkey settings within the XP Virtual machine.

I am running a new installed XP Virtual Machine and have installed MediaMonkey. Within VirtualBox [Shared Folder] set-up I set a [Machine Folder] pointing to the Music Folder on my second NTFS HDD.
    I made the share name short (no spaces or special characters) or the [OK] button remained greyed out! The shared folder then showed in XP in [My Network places] and then [VirtualBox Shared Folders]. I mapped this folder in XP and it is this the Monkey stares at
    Link follows for solution to greyed out [OK] button in VirtualBox Folder Share set-up dialogue.
    -http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...t=20184#p87427

I could then within MediaMonkey [Add/Rescan Tracks to the library...], pointing to my new shared Music folder on the Original HDD I used in native running XP with MediaMonkey. It was slower at scanning the tracks, 93.2 gb of FLAC and image jpgs.
    But it works and the music is playing okay.
    I am still looking into some sound anomalies regarding the Smooth Pause/Seek/Stop, cracking scratching so I have these disabled. Also the XP windows system sounds cause the same noises so system sound are off too. So something needs changing. There are lots of threads with references to this sound issue, it is a known problem.

So 'in short' yes there are other music players in Linux, but I wanted MediaMonkey, I am used to it and had everything set-up in XP as I wanted. So now I have the chance to learn about Linux Ubuntu while being serenaded by the monkey.
    I have my cake, and I am eating it too!!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Martin Rabson; September 2nd, 2009 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Songbird looks like it would be closer to MediaMonkey, but I havn't ever used MediaMonkey so can't say for sure. Banshee is a pretty good media player too.

You should check out how to install packages on Ubuntu: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

No need to install stuff from the project's website, just use Add/Remove applications in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I love Banshee. Smooth and clean interface. It does podcasts, video, file organization and renaming, iPod and other media player syncing, automatic conversion to the correct filetype for the media player.

I don't know how it compares to MediaMonkey, but I know I can do everything in Banshee that I could do in iTunes (minus the store).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This person thinks aTunes is similar to Media Monkey: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1255018

Beans

64 bit Ubuntu 9.04 Host with a 64 bit XP Guest was the cause of my sound anomalies.
    Installed 32 bit XP guest and running on Ubuntu 64 is fine, no sound issues at all so far, system sounds or music player.
    Last edited by Martin Rabson; September 2nd, 2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: after further testing