Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't print -- requires authentication

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] Re: Can't print -- requires authentication

Quote Originally Posted by manthony121 View Post
    I got rid of the "Authentication Required to Print" dialog by directly editing the file, "/etc/cups/printers.conf", as follows:

Step 1. Open a terminal window:
    Step 2. Stop the cups server:
    Step 3. Edit the printers.conf file.
    Step 4. Save edited file
    Step 5. Restart cups server:

$ sudo service cups start

This should fix the problem. I ran thru the printer config dialog after this change, and it did not change the line back. It seems there is no way to change it except by directly editing the printers.conf file.

I only have one printer, but you may have to repeat for other printers listed in "/etc/cups/printers.conf".
    I followed your directions, by deleting the line referring to Authentication, but it did not fix the problem. I checked the file "/etc/cups/printers.conf" after restarting cups and it had returned the printers.conf file with the Authentication line back in it.
    This all worked when I was using Ubuntu 9.04, but not since I went to Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS.
    Any help would be appreciated.

[SOLVED] - It wasn't a cups problem after all. The printer, I was trying to talk to, was on my Windows 7 laptop and it had just decided to not accept my network authentication. Good old Windows. I moved the USB cable over to my Ubuntu PC and it was just like how plug-and-play is supposed to work. Ubuntu saw the printer, configured for it, and shared it out on my network. All is good again.
    Last edited by pappo; November 17th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Beans

Re: Can't print -- requires authentication

try SERVER\username

SERVER = the sharing machine name
    username = local account on SERVER (or user @SERVER domain)

Beans

I got rid of the "Authentication Required to Print" dialog by directly editing the file, "/etc/cups/printers.conf", as follows:

[Applications|Accessories|Terminal]

(In the lines below, '$' is the prompt character. Type what comes after it.)

$ sudo service cups stop

Step 3. Edit the printers.conf file. I use 'vim' for text editing; you can use whatever editor you like. 'gedit' comes standard with Ubuntu:

$ sudo vim /etc/cups/printers.conf

Near the top of file "/etc/cups/printers.conf" is a line:

AuthInfoRequired username,password

Insert a "#" char in the first column (or, just delete the line):

#AuthInfoRequired username,password

Step 4. Save edited file

This should fix the problem. I ran thru the printer config dialog after this change, and it did not change the line back. It seems there is no way to change it except by directly editing the printers.conf file.

I only have one printer, but you may have to repeat for other printers listed in "/etc/cups/printers.conf".
    Quite interesting. I had the same problem, but no "AuthInfoRequired username,password" in my config file. I have ADDED this line and now it works (without asking me for a password). My printer was not connected with Win as reported above. Using Ubuntu 9. *sigh*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the same problem, I am running 10.10 64bit.

If I edit "/etc/cups/printers.conf" as in #9, it works for a while then the printers.conf file is automagically restored to its original state, IN THE SAME SESSION.

How does that work? It would be nice to say goodbye to this authentication required pop-up, and ideas please?

John
    Last edited by SoundFriend; January 20th, 2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: error

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thank you this worked great for me, I had a HP windows laserjet 4 installed and it was working great, added a HP laser 4050 and it kept asking for passord. your solution fixed this problem and I can now print
    Thank you

[Applications|Accessories|Terminal]

(In the lines below, '$' is the prompt character. Type what comes after it.)

$ sudo service cups stop

Step 3. Edit the printers.conf file. I use 'vim' for text editing; you can use whatever editor you like. 'gedit' comes standard with Ubuntu:

$ sudo vim /etc/cups/printers.conf

Near the top of file "/etc/cups/printers.conf" is a line:

Insert a "#" char in the first column (or, just delete the line):

#AuthInfoRequired username,password

Step 4. Save edited file

Beans
    Distro

I have tried editing "/etc/cups/printers.conf", and even setting it read only, but the file always gets rewritten to include the line:

by something in the system. Would that be CUPS?

How can I find out and stop this happening, is it a bug, should I post a bug report, it is getting annoying!

Beans

I solved this problem by navigating to http://localhost:631 which is my CUPS server administration page. Under the Jobs tab I found a stale job from a network printer which had been disconnected and pressed the Cancel Job button. No more wacky dialog.

Hope that helps,
    SSF

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sflitman View Post
    I solved this problem by navigating to http://localhost:631 which is my CUPS server administration page. Under the Jobs tab I found a stale job from a network printer which had been disconnected and pressed the Cancel Job button. No more wacky dialog.

Hope that helps,
    SSF
    Thanks. Unfortunately I have no stale jobs.

However I noticed that I can't edit (save) the configuration file from the CUPS configuration pages, which is probably connected with my problem over printer permissions.

Beans

I started getting this same issue after updating CUPS and post #8 from linuxeer was the solution. Thanks!

Beans

I got this error for the first time on Natty, and it was also the first time I used the CUPs driver. I was connecting to a windows print server via Samba and chose the CUPs driver as it was recommended. I got a dialog which I tried several different users who all had sudo access and none would work.

After reinstalling the HP printer with the hpijs drivers everything worked fine and I did not get any prompts. This does seem to be a CUPs specific issue. If modifying the printers.conf doesn't work then try a different driver.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast