Thread: Can't we have dependencies in an ISO?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Can't we have dependencies in an ISO?

I need to request Ubuntu team to provide the dependencies as a virtual web site on a CD/DVD iso image, so that we can download it, and burn to a disc.I really appreciate if it can be done, because I have met with a lot of difficulties with my broadband internet modem while configuring.

There should be a command to be used just like 'apt-get', which locates the dependencies in the CD/DVD and install them.

Then we can install Virtual box to install windows to surf internet, download the latest dependencies DVD/CD iso image and use for next time we upgrade our tools.

Please provide me a link to submit this idea, if this forum is the wrong place to do that!

Thanks.

credobyte is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Can't we have dependencies in an ISO?

Have you tried aptoncd and download only from aptitude ( --download-only ) ?
    Anyway, Brainstorm would be the right place for new ideas ..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You might find that some dependencies are already available on installation disks. There is an option in System->Administration->Software Sources to do just that.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mastermind008 View Post
    I need to request Ubuntu team to provide the dependencies as a virtual web site on a CD/DVD iso image, so that we can download it, and burn to a disc.I really appreciate if it can be done, because I have met with a lot of difficulties with my broadband internet modem while configuring.

There should be a command to be used just like 'apt-get', which locates the dependencies in the CD/DVD and install them.

Then we can install Virtual box to install windows to surf internet, download the latest dependencies DVD/CD iso image and use for next time we upgrade our tools.

Please provide me a link to submit this idea, if this forum is the wrong place to do that!

Thanks.
    Dependencies for what??? Different packages have different dependencies, so you would end up with hundreds of different cd/dvd images...
    There are about 29000 packages in the online repos, so there is no way to cram them all into one dvd.
    Last edited by jocko; August 25th, 2009 at 06:30 AM.