Thread: In nautilus: hover-open a folder while holding an object (like in Finder, OS X)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Red face In nautilus: hover-open a folder while holding an object (like in Finder, OS X)?

there's this feature in Finder (OS X) wherein you can drag-hold an object (a file or another folder) and hover it over a folder (and wait for a brief delay period) to open the said folder.

the feature would it easier to move files in nautilus.

can that be done in nautilus?

Beans

Re: In nautilus: hover-open a folder while holding an object (like in Finder, OS X)?

That would be a nice feature. The tree view in the left sidepane has it though.

Beans

Re: In nautilus: hover-open a folder while holding an object (like in Finder, OS X)?

Apple actually has a patent on this "spring loaded folders" technique so... not likely.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Distro

patented, huh? ok, thanks guys.

that would've been nice.

Beans

9.04 Jaunty does this. Drag a file from one window to another showing a list view and it'll expand the subfolders of one as you hover over it. My question is, can the period of time necessary for the hover to trigger be changed? I'd like it to take a bit longer, it tends to spring open the folder a bit too quickly for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    9.04 Jaunty does this. Drag a file from one window to another showing a list view and it'll expand the subfolders of one as you hover over it. My question is, can the period of time necessary for the hover to trigger be changed? I'd like it to take a bit longer, it tends to spring open the folder a bit too quickly for me.
    Nice to know: it does work in 'list view' but to a very different effect. In OS X, when an object is hovered long enough over a folder, the current file manager space 'enters' the folder -- the one with the list view merely expands the folder. And the list need not be in another window.

Beans

Does anyone know how to increase drag-hover delay in nautilus before directory tree expands?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.