Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your daughter use Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Does your daughter use Linux?

I have no daughter, only a son*, although my 'daughters-by-proxy' (my students) use an Ubuntu box in my classroom. I am forced by university policy to have MS XP on the 16 lab computers, but I adopted two orphaned MS machines and did a complete reinstall of Ubuntu 8.10 (now on 9.04). Since it's really only used for Internet stuff, like educational sites and YouTube music videos, they don't get explored much in other regards by either gender (same with the MS machines). However, there haven't been any problems or difficulties with getting places and making stuff work.

The Ubuntu machines are MUCH less work for me than the MS machines running their fancy monitoring software, which constantly drops machines and falls off the network. Ubuntu just works... even despite being on the 'slower' machine.

I'm in a bilingual classroom, so I have one of the Ubuntu boxes set up in Spanish.

*Son uses Ubuntu, happily, and my husband just made the leap last month from struggling with Vista for 6 months to asking me to put just Ubuntu on his machine so that I would be his tech support.
    Proud Ubuntu user since 7.04. 11.04/Gnome2 for personal machine and family media server. 10.04 Netbook remix

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Got no daughter, actually I'M the daughter, and the only computers over here that use a Linux distro are both my desktop and laptop (Mint 7, Kubuntu 9.04 and Fedora 11), my brother has a kind-of eeePC that dual-boots XP and Caixa Mágica KDE (a portuguese Mandriva-based distro, which is nice, the support and Linux communities have arrived, I'm just waiting for people to broaden their horizons beyond Windows) but my stepdad's laptop runs Windows XP Pro (professional requirement, the computer isn't even his, so. And even if it were, he's not designed to work with computers, and I honestly don't feel like putting up with him) and the family desktop a.k.a. my mom's workspace/total document chaos is running this really bloated and slow Windows XP that hasn't been either defragmented or formatted for years! Do you imagine? :O

So, my mom watches me installing like 5 different distro per week (it used to be more) but still doesn't really bothers to know more about it, and honestly, she's not up to the challenge. She does not even know how to copy & paste files. *facepalm*

But no worries, I've been trying to change the world piece by piece, some of my friends already use Linux and I talk about it to everyone, in hope that people's mind opens up. Oh, and yes, my daughters will not know the meaning of the word "Windows".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My 16-year-old daughter needs a laptop for school, and absolutely refuses to go with Ubuntu. I'm a fairly recent adopter of Ubuntu, and although I've successfully migrated my company to Ubuntu, as you might guess, I have somewhat more sway with my employees than with my daughters.

I caught the 12-year-old in time, she loves Kubuntu.

But I can't seem to develop an argument or rationale that would help me convince Daughter #1.

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    My 16-year-old daughter needs a laptop for school, and absolutely refuses to go with Ubuntu. I'm a fairly recent adopter of Ubuntu, and although I've successfully migrated my company to Ubuntu, as you might guess, I have somewhat more sway with my employees than with my daughters.

I caught the 12-year-old in time, she loves Kubuntu.

But I can't seem to develop an argument or rationale that would help me convince Daughter #1.

Suggestions?
    Does she run with a crowd that takes a strong stance on "geeks"?

Find someone that she thinks is "cool" and get them hooked on Ubuntu. Do you want to go so far as to buy an Ubuntu-installed laptop? (LOL) I find the most frustrating thing about dealing with teenagers is that things are much cooler if they come from someone who is not Mom or Dad. We often enlist the help of family friends to communicate with our son in a way that we can't.

Best of luck!
    Proud Ubuntu user since 7.04. 11.04/Gnome2 for personal machine and family media server. 10.04 Netbook remix

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    Tell her if she gets a virus, she's on her own?

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Heh, I need to start taking names and numbers.

[16 yr old male user]

Beans

I run Kubuntu on my desktop machine (though I also have GNOME installed) and my nine year old daughter has her own account. I do have XP installed but it really doesn't ever get used. She still doesn't use it very often, but anytime she wants to do something I encourage her to switch to her account and try to do it for herself. She is already a bit familiar with programs like the GIMP at school and she has picked up Impress very quickly after they did some Keynote presentations in class.

She's in a good position to grow up with a positive experience of Linux (Ubuntu, specifically). I seem to have a good track record with hardware compatibility.

Beans

My daughter uses it since I gave her my old EEE PC. She's planning to use it for running video clips for her band. The little EEE is perfect for this, being so portable and robust with SSD instead of a HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My son (4 yr) uses Mac OSX and Ubuntu ... well he draws (stamps) pictures with Tux Paint ..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    Heh, I need to start taking names and numbers.

[16 yr old male user]
    No you don't.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast