Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your daughter use Linux?

Beans

Re: Does your daughter use Linux?

Yes, but she's 4, and doesn't recognize that it's anything other than her computer.

They both use Qimo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

don't have any kids yet
    but I've got my 19 yr old sister running a custom ubuntu desktop I built for her.
    And I have also gotten my brothers 6yr old daughter running edubuntu on a desktop that I recycled for her.

She came to me the other saying they had a computer class in school where they were taught how to use something called windows xp.

Also I have gotten my mum using xubuntu although she doesn't realise that its not window...all she wanted was that "little blue e that starts the internet" on her desktop.
    Cue install opera make it look like ie and swap the icon for the "little e" icon.

Yes my house is almost windows free...the only problem is I have to use windows for work sometimes. Thank god for vmware and virtualbox

tc
    Sagar
    Life's a journey. Enjoy the ride!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sagarhshah View Post
    don't have any kids yet
    but I've got my 19 yr old sister running a custom ubuntu desktop I built for her.
    19 year old chick running Linux? Wow, never heard that one before. At least not where I live

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't have a daughter, but my brother and sister-in-law just got hooked on Ubuntu, and we're thinking of cracking out their old PC so that my niece can use GCompris.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't have a daughter, but I have a daughter-in-law who uses Ubuntu.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro

Heck, my sons, daughter, and wife all use Linux. Only hassle I get is from my youngest son, who freaks out when I can't get some obscure game working under wine, but you know, for all the time I save not having to clean up a windows machine, I would much rather spend trying to get something to work in Wine.

The kids also don't like the fact that I can monitor their time spent on the computer, or log into their machine from my G1. My oldest son loves it, my oldest daughter is ok with it except for stuff like "Why can't I have AIM on this computer?" and my wife loves it.

My mother and father use it, my brother uses it, and I am ok with that.I enjoy trying to fix unix stuff as opposed to trying to troubleshoot windows issues.
    I bowl, I love computers, and I don't care who knows it. I am a chick magnet...

Thank goodness I'm married.

Beans

This is my dream...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

But I can see my houshold being OSX and Linux...
    I'm a PC, and I don't run Windows...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release
    Quote Originally Posted by hotstovejer View Post
    my oldest daughter is ok with it except for stuff like "Why can't I have AIM on this computer?" and my wife loves it.
    Is she not allowed, or does she not realise Pidgin does it?

Quote Originally Posted by MC707 View Post
    19 year old chick running Linux? Wow, never heard that one before. At least not where I live
    This is the women's forum, isn't it? Did you just assume everyone here was over the age of 50...? I've been using Ubuntu since I was 17, and I'm 21 now, so yeah, when I was 19 I was a "19 year old chick running Linux."

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MC707 View Post
    This is the women's forum, isn't it? Did you just assume everyone here was over the age of 50...? I've been using Ubuntu since I was 17, and I'm 21 now, so yeah, when I was 19 I was a "19 year old chick running Linux."
    Hi Maco!

I'm well over 50 now, and the only reason I wasn't running Linux when I was a 19 year old was that it was many decades before Linux was first designed, and computers in those days took up a much larger space than the house I lived in

Mind you I was hacking a magnetic core computer long before I was 19

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Is she not allowed, or does she not realise Pidgin does it?
    Oh, she knows she can do it, but she wants all the bloatware that comes with AIM. I didn't even tell her that you could install it in wine, cause frankly, she doesn't need it.
    I bowl, I love computers, and I don't care who knows it. I am a chick magnet...

Thank goodness I'm married.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast