Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fancy menu for GRUB EFI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Fancy menu for GRUB EFI

burg revno1771

That is very good now, must be nearly complete.
    I compiled for grub.efi and pc bios grub.img (multiboot from grub1.97). Even have the menu demo running on an old pc celeron700 with 1200x1024 lcd, using grub.img booted from grub0.97 commandline using grub> 'kernel /grub.img' . There are still some things I have to try, password etc.

efi - all looks good, gfx and textmode full 1920x1200

pc - gfx is limited to 1600x1200 max res shown by vbeinfo, but looks fine, background pictures are sized to fit display, its only 32x32 (or n*n ) icons that get stretched.
    And date is fixed thanks.

There is still the occasional keyboard hangup bug in pc boot, I can not reproduce it even when I try random keying and continuous switching between terminals, quite unpredictable, occurs sometimes before menu demo starts, and requires hard restart. It maybe this Imac. No problem with efi.

There seems to be a lot of potential (pc) interest from the Karmic testing forum in a successor to gfxmenu -
    GRUB2 Theming - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8178767
    but I expect that forum will close on karmic release 29 Oct.
    My grub.img for pc is only 99K, binary could be booted from grub1.97 for people wanting to test on pc.

I wonder how you plan to introduce this for distro use or user configuration?
    Last edited by pxwpxw; October 28th, 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: apect ratio

Beans

Update:

Support savedefault.

Variable savedefault set the system default value. If savedefault=1, save the current boot item.

You can also overwrite the default value for individual items, in menuentry statement --save option always save this item, and --nosave never save the item. If neither --save nor --nosave is specified, the system default in savedefault variable is checked.

In the menu section, use property save=1 or save=0 to achieve the same effect as --save and --nosave.

You also need to set the environment file, default value is ${prefix}/env, you can also use envfile variable to overwrite it.

Support timeout

Use timeout variable to control auto boot. For example:

set timeout=5

it would boot the default item if no key is pressed in 5 seconds. If timeout=0, boot the default item immediately, although you can press a key at startup to halt the auto boot. If timeout is not set, auto boot is disabled.

Support progressbar

This works in conjunction with timeout. When a timeout value is set, you can see the process bar at bottom of screen.

As with this version, all feature from grub legacy has been implemented. There is a grub.cfg inside the menu directory that shows some usage:

Code:
    set superusers=admin
    password admin admin
    password user user

set timeout=5

set envfile=/menu/env
    set savedefault=1
    load_env

menuentry Item1 --users user --nosave --class image_tools {
      true
    }

menuentry Item2 --save --class image_about {
      true
    }

. /menu/menu_efi.cfg
    Last edited by bean123; October 30th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

reminder - d/l the current menu configuration files from http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/menu.zip

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
    Update:

Support savedefault.

Variable savedefault set the system default value. If savedefault=1, save the current boot item.

You can also overwrite the default value for individual items, in menuentry statement --save option always save this item, and --nosave never save the item. If neither --save nor --nosave is specified, the system default in savedefault variable is checked.

In the menu section, use property save=1 or save=0 to achieve the same effect as --save and --nosave.

You also need to set the environment file, default value is ${prefix}/env, you can also use envfile variable to overwrite it.

Support timeout

Use timeout variable to control auto boot. For example:

set timeout=5

it would boot the default item if no key is pressed in 5 seconds. If timeout=0, boot the default item immediately, although you can press a key at startup to halt the auto boot. If timeout is not set, auto boot is disabled.

Support progressbar

This works in conjunction with timeout. When a timeout value is set, you can see the process bar at bottom of screen.

As with this version, all feature from grub legacy has been implemented. There is a grub.cfg inside the menu directory that shows some usage:

Code:
    set superusers=admin
    password admin admin
    password user user

set timeout=5

set envfile=/menu/env
    set savedefault=1
    load_env

menuentry Item1 --users user --nosave --class image_tools {
      true
    }

menuentry Item2 --save --class image_about {
      true
    }

. /menu/menu_efi.cfg
    The attached binary seems to be missing modules password.mod and loadenv.mod and maybe true.mod.

Compiled from current burg trunk revno 1772 looks ok with this preloaded module list (maybe some not needed).

minicmd part_msdos part_gpt fat ext2 hfsplus ntfs reiserfs xfs iso9660 ls search loopback linux chain reboot halt appleldr help configfile hexdump loadbios fixvideo sh video efi_fb gfxterm font png jpeg coreui loadcfg menucmd test gfxmenu textmenu date loadenv password true

I added loadenv password true to my previous list.

Password works for tools, now to try the other features.

Thu 29 Oct 2009 22:37:31.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All working, password, savedefault, progress bar, timeout.
    Also with high quality background picture, the display is very good, but my camera has problems with moire and color from LCD display.

For the different theme selections, some common class group would save having to repeat in every theme ( example the OS classes for OS icons if these are the same in all themes).

attach pix
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Update:

Support enter key in edit. You can use enter key to break a line into two. Use backspace at the beginning of a line to join two lines into one.

Support md5 password. Use utility grub-mkpasswd to generate md5 password, for example:

grub-mkpasswd admin

Output:
    $1$A1tpOB3$bTHEMeIVvBbQsLZIWmJp/.

The use this in grub.cfg:

password --md5 admin '$1$A1tpOB3$bTHEMeIVvBbQsLZIWmJp/.'

Don't forget the '' otherwise $ would be used to expand variable.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bean123; October 30th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That looks ok, built grub64.efi from revno1773.

Tried md5 password ok, grub-mkpasswd has to be run in linux, I don't know how to do it in OSX.

The editor with newline insertion is very good now, (better than grub1.97 cmdline edit).

EDIT - OSX generate MD5 based BSD password algorithm 1
    im81-3:test pxw$ openssl passwd -1 -salt 1234567 admin
    $1$1234567$ergpnZu0mLdD77Dbmwjpb1
    Last edited by pxwpxw; October 31st, 2009 at 03:01 AM.

Beans

Update:

Integrate new menu system as menu viewer.
    Rename several modules, move common function to lib.mod.
    configfile can be used to open sub menu.

Now you can use these command to start new menu in pc mode:

Code:
    set gfxmode="640x480"
    set gfxfont="Unifont Regular 16"
    loadfont /menu/unifont.pf2
    insmod vbe
    insmod png
    insmod coreui
    load_config /menu/default.txt
    default.txt is a minimized theme file, it doesn't depend on other file. You can also replaces it with menu.txt plus blue.txt to see a more advanced sample. (Don't forget to download an updated resource pack at http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/menu.zip)

Without load_config command, it starts the old menu.

To build grub.efi, you can use the following module list:

minicmd part_gpt part_msdos part_apple fat ext2 hfsplus hfs ntfs reiserfs xfs iso9660 udf ls search loopback
    linux chain reboot halt appleldr help configfile hexdump loadbios memrw fixvideo crc sh video efi_fb font png coreui loadcfg gfxrgn txtrgn password true loadenv normal nmenu emenu

nmenu - normal menu system (old menu)
    emenu - extended menu system (new menu)
    gfxrgn - gfx menu region, previous named gfxmenu
    txtrgn - text menu region, previous named textmenu
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bean123; November 1st, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The post #28 grub64.efi binary still works. The default.txt display is not very exciting, but it does provide all the features for booting, editing and terminals.
    A "Help" widget or bar showing the onkey list would make it easier to use.
    I ran the pc build, no problems, but have not tested results yet.

Any one else testing?

Beans

I just write a document on the configuration of new menu system:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast