Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HTC Hero Android Phone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HTC Hero Android Phone

Just got a Hero on Saturday. What a fantastic phone!! I've been a long term Amarok user but have just switched to Banshee as it works so well with the Hero. The only thing I'd like to know is how to change the transcoding settings as currently it converts my flac files into 128Kbps MP3 and I'd really rather it converted them to ogg vorbis or at least a higher bitrate mp3.

Thanks for the heads up on GMote and Tesla, they are going to be so useful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Jones View Post
    I've also experience some lag with the phone, but like you said it doesn't detract from the end experience. What's the name of the app your using to kill any tasks?
    Taskiller. Its free or 70c depending on version

Jay

ps. My wife just got a hero today too..
    AMD9650 Quad,4GB, ATI 3200HD, Ubuntu 12.10, Still loving Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Regarding the lag HTC are apparently releasing an update to their Sense UI. This update is set to speed up the UI.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Orange(UK) releasing any update as apparently updating your phone through HTC will void your warranty. People are making nandroid backup of their Orange system just in case anything does happen.

Has anyone here rooted their phones? and/or made a nandroid backup?

Beans

Connectbot FTW!!

it's soo useful... how cool is it to have ssh in your pocket everywhere you go? -- My G1 has been smashed by a car last week though =\ fell out of my pocket while i was biking. Didn't notice i dropped it until i was 3 blocks from the site. I backtracked and found the poor thing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I rooted mine after having it for 10 days or so. No problems with the procedure, followed the instructions on the www.unlockr.com
    All I've done since rooting is used the cache to SD app to free up space on the phone.

As for updates, thankfully we both have unbranded phones so an OTA update should be fine.

Jay
    AMD9650 Quad,4GB, ATI 3200HD, Ubuntu 12.10, Still loving Ubuntu

Beans

Got myself a Hero today, connected it to my Karmic laptop. SD-card opens in file browser, but Banshee sees nothing. Does anybody have a problem like this? I don't even know where to start looking for solution, since all the pages I've googled say it "just should work™".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by nekr0z View Post
    Got myself a Hero today, connected it to my Karmic laptop. SD-card opens in file browser, but Banshee sees nothing. Does anybody have a problem like this? I don't even know where to start looking for solution, since all the pages I've googled say it "just should work™".
    Howdy... this is pretty simple... once you're usb plugged to your box, open the phone and pull down the notifications bar; you should see one that says "USB connected". tap it, and then tap the "Mount" button, and then your box should show your "HTC Android Phone" as a USB drive.

uh... sorry, i have colloquialized the word "box" to mean your home computer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hero can also be used as a USB 3G mobile dongle
    Note that this assumes that you have a sensible data tarrif. In UK we have some pretty good deals like 1G fo £10 a month. In other countries or if you are roaming you could get a nasty shock in you next bill - so do your research first.

On the Phone:
    First: Make sure you are actually using your 3G data connection from settings > wireless controls > tick 'mobile network'
    (if you aren't connected you can't share the connection and the next step will be greyed out).

Second: Share your mobile connection from settings > wireless controls, tick 'share mobile connection'

Note: This will temporarily disable PC access to the phone's internal USB memory stick

On the PC:
    From a left click on Network manager there should now be a new option which, unlike a dongle does not say '3' or whatever your network is called. On my PC it is simply called Auto usb0.

Third: Click and you are connected!

Next time you hardly have to do anything - you just plug in. A box will pop up asking if you want to continue sharing. Say Yes if you do and that's it!. Say No if you want to access usb memory - but if you do do that then next next time you will have to re enable network sharing as above.

Note that this was all on a generic firmware Hero, not one from one of the network operators - so they may differ. Try the above first. If it doesn't work it may be worth trying the generic firmware in your phone - which you will have to get someone else with a generic phone to download for you as downloads are linked to serial numbers
    Last edited by spegru; January 20th, 2010 at 11:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12