Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Masonux: LXDE-based Ubuntu spinoff that sticks to its roots

Beans

Re: Masonux: LXDE-based Ubuntu spinoff that sticks to its roots

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    you aren't spending money out of your pocket just for this are you?!?!??
    Oh haha no, it's free to set up a 2GB dropbox account, and your iso is only around 300megs.
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: Masonux: LXDE-based Ubuntu spinoff that sticks to its roots

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    ...the screenshots he linked are accurate. but i see your point, perhaps i should add more screenshots.
    Yeah! People would want to see more screenshots of this distro...menus, terminal, a few of applications when running. It's boring to keep looking ONLY at the Openbox website for Crunchbang screenshots....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgnash View Post
    Good move. I use a tiling window manager myself (Wmii), but LXDE is really cool for a stacking manager (Openbox) with a DE and anything that helps more people discover this very hardware-tolerant DE/WM is great
    That's a great idea! earthpigg why don't you add wmii or another tiling WM as an extra session option? I'm sure more people would like to try it especially on low end computers.

Do you have any plans for the boot process?

I really think you should put together a better looking theme than the default LXDE and Ubuntu.

And remember to share the code

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    That's a great idea! earthpigg why don't you add wmii or another tiling WM as an extra session option? I'm sure more people would like to try it especially on low end computers.

I really think you should put together a better looking theme than the default LXDE and Ubuntu.

And remember to share the code
    Great idea, and why not Shiki Colors Openbox edition? Familiar to many, awesome to all.

By the way, I burned a LiveCD and tried it out, and it was snappy! I'd use that if I had an old computer (unfortunately I don't. All my computers are rather awesome. )
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans

i may look into art and theme stuff at a later date - to be honest, i'm a function over fashon kind of guy so didn't really even consider that until you mentioned it.

given the limited scope of this project, any theme i use would need to be from the repos, and i'd need to find a way to enable that theme over the default via the command line so it could be properly documented in a way that -- if/when i learn bash scripting -- will allow me to make a simple installer for systems with less than 256 mb of RAM.

as far as alternative WM's, i'm not as familiar as some. instead of me picking 500 random WM's from the repos and trying them all, would anyone be willing to look at the high quality options, install a few, run them, and show me "free -m" output, and tell me how they perform on their low-end CPU? i have nothing that old sitting around and dont know how to underclock, so i cannot test myself. :\

that is beyond the scope of my knowledge at present, to be honest. I think you may be greatly overestimating my linux-fu, friend. enabling/disabling services/daemons and kernel modules in the-distro-who's-probability-of-being-mentioned-is-approaching-1-as-we-speak is easy as pie as we all know, but i haven't yet figured out where the hell and how it is done in debian/ubuntu via the command line with its 5 million config files scattered all over the place.

i dont mean to be critical of debian. i am determined to stick to debian/ubuntu base for several dozen outstanding reasons that we dont need to get into here as it would be preaching to the choir.

seriously though: i am no guru. check the 'notes to myself'. the tools others have created are thus far making this project incredibly tolerant of my ignorance. as Ubuntu's boot time is decreased, Masonux's boot time will decrease.

edit: also, i did some work on the web page. feedback on that would also be appreciated.
    Last edited by earthpigg; August 25th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm thinking about trying this out on my Lenovo S10 netbook and noticed you had it running on a Dell mini 9? Did you run into any problems? Any other packages you need to get a laptop/netbook running?

Beans

Hi Earthpigg, I agree with your intention to keep your project closely aligned with "vanilla" Ubuntu. Don't feel like you have to create new artwork or hack the boot scripts if that is not your expertise. Your project is a good "short cut" for users who want a lightweight desktop, but are intimidated by a minimal install.

I am very happy with Fluxbuntu on this old laptop, but if I ever decide to switch, I just might check out Masonux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TwiceOver View Post
    I'm thinking about trying this out on my Lenovo S10 netbook and noticed you had it running on a Dell mini 9? Did you run into any problems? Any other packages you need to get a laptop/netbook running?
    i didn't run into any problems on my dell mini 9 or need to install any additional packages to get it up and running. that screenshot was taken in a hotel room, shortly after a fresh install. i dont think that netbook has ever been plugged into a wired internet connection, so wifi obviously hasn't given me problems

to the best of my understanding, if ubuntu supports the hardware than this will.

it runs fine with no additional packages added.

the netbook-oriented package that makes programs maximize when launched is 'maximus', if you want that.

the 'additional packages' page at the site also has a list of a few packages you can add to make the GUI a bit more like ubuntu's default interface, if you want that. the gnome panel with applications/places/system, the applications -> add/remove application app, and a few others.

im going to go add maximus to the list at the site right now, as a matter of fact.

edit: updated website to include maximus and lxlauncher - both outstanding tools for netbook ease-of-use.
    Last edited by earthpigg; August 25th, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

I did a full install (as opposed to a LiveCD type install) to a 1GB flash drive and booted up my laptop (HP/Compaq 8510p). Typical Ubuntu install is over 2GB. Wireless works and the GUI's snappy. Very nice.
    Last edited by Mighty_Joe; August 25th, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Beans

Btw, when it asks you, don't use isolinux. Grub's usually is a better choice unless there's a specific reason you like isolinux.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast