Thread: best way to install a second windows on seperate HD

Beans

best way to install a second windows on seperate HD

Hi,

I have windows 7 64-bit installed on a raid 0 in my pc, and ubuntu is installed in a partition afterwards, dual boot works gr8 I use windows only for gaming. The problem I have a couple games that just don't run well on the 64-bit platform. I want to install a 32-bit version on a 80Gb harddrive, I was wondering what's the best way to go about it.

I was thinking I could unplug my other two hdds and install windows to the hd, then edit my grub to include the new installation. I think this is the easiest way because I don't want grub to get overwritten, it was a little complicated getting grub on my raid 0 in the first place. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: best way to install a second windows on seperate HD

whatever happened to that windows 7 compatibility mode? that does work in that instance?

the only problem i see with your plan is that if you remove the other hard disks from your setup when you install windows 7 32bit then when you try to boot windows 7 32bit it will expect to be HD0 when its gonna endup HD3 or whatever.

another good idea is backup your grub!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think it best to ask at a proper place.
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Best of luck.

Beans

Since I didn't want to lose my raid 0 by unplugging my other two hds, so I just ran the installer and installed it to the extra hd. Luckily it didn't touch grub, so all I had to do was add an entry to grub and it works.