Thread: Can not log into 9.04 now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can not log into 9.04 now

Yesterday afternoon I removed and reinstalled my video card driver, fglrx. All seemed well. This morning on boot I saw the Ubuntu logo and the loading line underneath. The logo disappeared as usual. Then some unfamiliar script moved past the top of the screen. I did see what appeared to be my log in prompt in regular script. The script flashed off and on and then I was presented with a mostly black screen. There are a couple of faint colored specs just at the top of the screen. Nothing else happens.

I tried again and attempted to enter my login info but the scripts go by too quickly. I tried to use my Pause button to freeze the scripts but that did not work.

I tried to boot into an earlier kernel but the same thing happened.

I tried cntl-alt-F1 from the black screen to get to a terminal but nothing happens.

I have a 9.04 32bit installation where I am writing this now. It loaded fine. I am able to mount the inaccessible distribution from here.

Is it possible to resurrect the ailing partition?

Beans

Re: Can not log into 9.04 now

hit ctr-alt-f3 (or f4 or f5..) and type "startx" without the quotes. If that fails, try to reinstall the driver, then try a different driver. ctr-alt-f3 will get you to another terminal. ctr-alt-f7 will get you back to the default.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the reply. I can not seem to gain access to a terminal at any point in the login/boot process or after the screen turns black. I have tried cntr-alt-F1 (through -F11) nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've actually just done something very stupid and left myself with pretty much the exact same problem. Where you installed your video card i was trying to find a fix for a problem i've been having, when playing video my laptop would crash. Entered this command -

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Is there anyway of undoing this command? Bear in mind, like above i've got a black screen, with red characters along the top. I tried loading earlier kernels and thats not worked, and there was also an option to auto-fix graphics problem, that ddn't work but it did bring up this-

/etc/x11/xorg.conf.20090823182035

Im assuming this is the location of the original config i just changed?
    "if he dies, he dies" - nemanja vidic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Sounds like a backup, yes.

Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/x11/xorg.conf.20090823182035 side by side and see if they are mostly the same file, and if so, what's changed. I couldn't swear but I should think that if it looks like /etc/x11/xorg.conf.20090823182035 is a backup, you should be able to just rename it to xorg.conf and replace the new one with it.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you jimmy the saint. I booted into Recovery Mode. Choosing xfix did not solve the issue but removing the fglrx driver and rebooting allowed me to log in. Many thanks.