Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linksys WUSB54GSC v2

Beans

Re: Linksys WUSB54GSC v2

I have heard that the WUSB54GSC v2 is a speed booster of WUSB54GS and that it's not compatible and it comes with its own little router, but i'm using a different one. does that help any?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have heard that the WUSB54GSC v2 is a speed booster of WUSB54GS and that it's not compatible and it comes with its own little router, but i'm using a different one. does that help any
    I haven't heard about this, but it may be true. But the card works in Windows, right? If that's the case, it should work in Ubuntu regardless of which router you're using.

Beyond that, I spent a long time today searching to try to see if I could come up with any other possible solutions, and I didn't find anything we haven't already tried. So I'm really sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

The one last thing you might want to do is email the linux-wireless mailing list to see if anyone knows the status of your device. The rndis_wlan driver clearly claims to support the WUSB54GSCv2, both on its web page and in the comments in its source code, but the WUSB54GSCv2 it supports appears to have a different PCI ID from yours. This likely means that there is more than one device out there sold under the name WUSB54GSCv2.

The Linux wireless developers may not be aware of this, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to send an email to them explaining that your WUSB54GSCv2 has PCI ID 1737:0075 but is also sold as a WUSB54GSCv2. Even if they don't currently have a driver that will work with your chip, they'd probably be happy to learn of its existence, and if you're lucky someone might even volunteer to write a driver for it--if it's based on the Broadcom 4320 chip like the other WUSB54GSCv2, it should not be hard to write.

If this is something you're comfortable doing, I'd encourage you to send the email. If you don't want to, that's alright, but let me know because I'll send a message myself if you don't (it would be better coming from you, of course, since you own the actual hardware and could answer any additional questions they might have). You're not the first person I've tried to help here with a 1737:0075 device, and I'd love to see someone figure out how to make it work in Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    I haven't heard about this, but it may be true. But the card works in Windows, right? If that's the case, it should work in Ubuntu regardless of which router you're using.

Beyond that, I spent a long time today searching to try to see if I could come up with any other possible solutions, and I didn't find anything we haven't already tried. So I'm really sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

The one last thing you might want to do is email the linux-wireless mailing list to see if anyone knows the status of your device. The rndis_wlan driver clearly claims to support the WUSB54GSCv2, both on its web page and in the comments in its source code, but the WUSB54GSCv2 it supports appears to have a different PCI ID from yours. This likely means that there is more than one device out there sold under the name WUSB54GSCv2.

The Linux wireless developers may not be aware of this, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to send an email to them explaining that your WUSB54GSCv2 has PCI ID 1737:0075 but is also sold as a WUSB54GSCv2. Even if they don't currently have a driver that will work with your chip, they'd probably be happy to learn of its existence, and if you're lucky someone might even volunteer to write a driver for it--if it's based on the Broadcom 4320 chip like the other WUSB54GSCv2, it should not be hard to write.

If this is something you're comfortable doing, I'd encourage you to send the email. If you don't want to, that's alright, but let me know because I'll send a message myself if you don't (it would be better coming from you, of course, since you own the actual hardware and could answer any additional questions they might have). You're not the first person I've tried to help here with a 1737:0075 device, and I'd love to see someone figure out how to make it work in Linux.
    Thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate all your inputs in these thread. About the email thing, I don't feel like explaining it all over again. But you're welcome to send them this thread as an evidence. I'd just buy a new card somewhere this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Beans

You know what's funny? I dual boot with Win7/Ubuntu9.10 and it doesn't work in either... if you put WUSB54GSC into the little 'model finder' thing on Linksys website, it says 'invalid model number' or something, and windows can't find the drivers. maybe they gave up on it and forgot it existed? Anyway, it's kinda ******* me off, because I totally recovered a computer for this accountant at a local dentist's office, and after refusing to pay me for weeks, he gave me 20 bucks and this thing. For about 30 hours of work. wheee... So if anyone can figure it out, I'd love to use this card for packet insertion to speed up cracking WEP keys... did I say that out loud? XD lol the crappy wireless card in my laptop doesn't support packet insertion

Beans

This card may not require ndiswrapper, as someone suggests above. But assuming it does, these are the steps to follow:

1. install ndiswrapper:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    2. load Windows driver into ndiswrapper:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i ndiswdm.inf
    (This is assuming all four driver files--ndiswdm.sys, rndismp.sys, usb8023.sys and ndiswdm.inf--are saved in your working directory, which by default is your home folder.)

3. make sure ndiswrapper module is loaded at boot:
    Code:
    echo ndiswrapper | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    4. finally, you may need to resolve issues with competing drivers--if there is a native driver for this card built into Ubuntu, it will try to claim the device instead of ndiswrapper, so you need to blacklist the native driver before ndiswrapper can work. Step 3 of the ndiswrapper guide should help you with this.

If this doesn't help or it still seems not to work after completing the steps, please post back and include the output of these commands:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    uname -rm
    lshw -C Network
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    lsmod | grep ndis

How would do this if you don't have internet connectivity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How would do this if you don't have internet connectivity?
    The only command there that requires wireless connectivity is "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9", because it would download the ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 packages.

However, these packages are also included on the Ubuntu installation CD, so if you have that, you can put it in your drive, then open Ubuntu Software Center. There, go to Edit>Software Sources and make sure the box for installing software from your CD is checked (this box is under the "Ubuntu Software" tab). Follow the directions as prompted and when you're all done, you should be able to run all of those commands exactly as written and they should work.

If you don't have an Ubuntu installation CD, you can also download the two packages you need from http://packages.ubuntu.com, then transfer them to your Ubuntu computer and double-click to install.

Beans

I have had the same problem as you. and I think what you are doing wrong is ..
    You need to get the wusb54g ifo file from a windows computer, one that has it installed.
    the one from the internet does not have the exact file you need. I have one available if you would like to try it.
    I am using my laptop with windows xp, cause I never did get it to read my wireless device.
    I would buy another wireless device but I am afraid I would experience the same problems/
    Let me know it you want the files you need or if you are running a windows os anywhere just download the wusb5g into that os and then get the files you need from there.
    It never worked for me.Once I thought I did everything everyone suggested, then Ubuntu would just freeze up on me.So I went back to xp until some one figures out a better way.

Beans

Id just like to point out that the rndis_wlan website linked above says "Linksys WUSB54GSCv1 (v2 unsupported)" So, rndis does not support the v2. I have this same card and it has been a real pain. I went and got a different adapter and have had no problems with it.
    Laptop Toshiba 1.6 ghz 1gb ram 80gb HDD Ubuntu 9.04
    Media Server AMD 64bit 3.6 ghz 4gb ram 200gb HDD 1tb sata raid storage Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Phone ANDROID
    Linux User Number 509298

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by randumnumber View Post
    Id just like to point out that the rndis_wlan website linked above says "Linksys WUSB54GSCv1 (v2 unsupported)" So, rndis does not support the v2. I have this same card and it has been a real pain. I went and got a different adapter and have had no problems with it.
    Thank you for pointing that out, I actually never bothered with it. I bought a new card and I'd advise everyone to do the same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123