Thread: USB Autodetects Printer too Many Times

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

USB Autodetects Printer too Many Times

Hi folks-

I have an HP laserjet 1000 with a USB interface plugged into an old Dell P3 with Ubuntu 9.04. I have the printer driver set up okay, and all is well.

However, when I reboot, restart, or have reason to unplug the printer and plug it back in, the system usually (but not always) thinks I have a second printer, automatically sets up a second driver for it (which it calls HP laserjet 10002). On a day when I'm tinkering with my system, I can end up with 6 or 7 printer icons (up to HP laserjet 10007), for my one printer, in my printer menu.

As I see it, I need to either turn off USB autodetect (even though I really like USB autodetect), or tell CUPS to not install any more printers. In a perfect world, the system would know that the printer is already installed, and to not install it again (and again, and again, and again).

I don't know how to do fix this. Please assist.

Thanks! in advance.

Beans

Re: USB Autodetects Printer too Many Times

I have a similar issue. I have a KVMP switch that connects 2 computers to the same Keyboard, Video, Monitor, and Printer. Everytime I switch back to the Ubuntu machine, the printer is autodetected and installs. I can end up with dozens of installed printers unless I delete them.

Is there anyway to disable the autodetect feature?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: USB Autodetects Printer too Many Times

XP does that as well, PITA...

Steve
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.