Thread: Starling Wi-Fi card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Starling Wi-Fi card?

I'm having some trouble with my netbook, and I think it's because the WiFi card isn't compatible with my N-router. The connection is too slow to load most pages, even when I'm right next to the router.

The Starling says it has this Wi-Fi card: 802.11 bg

Does that mean it's only compatible with a b or g router?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Starling Wi-Fi card?

While I don't have an N router myself, I believe that you can still connect a b/g card to it.

It's the same as when g came out. A b card could still connect to a g router, but just at b speeds.

You should still be able to connect.
    ~Rubbs
    # /dev/input/ears > /dev/null = Lalalalalala I'm not listening!
    Works With U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I agree with rubbsdecvik. An 802.11N router should be backward compatible with an 802.11bB/G wireless card. But I would check the documentation that came with your access point. If compatible it will only connect at "G" speeds and not take advantage of the speed increase 802.11N can offer. If you do not have any 802.11N devices connected to your network, one thing to try is to configure your wireless access point to connect exclusively with 802.11G devices. That may give a slight performance and reliability boost.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To clarify - the netbook I have now isn't a Starling. I'm considering replacing it with a Starling (I've had great luck with both System76 desktops I've purchased) but want to verify that I won't have the same problem before I invest my money. I'd feel more confident if someone who had a Starling could confirm that they have no problems connecting it with a N-router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The Starling does not have N wireless. It has bg wireless.

If you have your router set to n-only mode, it will not work. If you have it set to Automatic, or ABGN or something like that, the Starling should connect to it via either a b or a g connection.

Depends on your router and the options it offers.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC