Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone Software question!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Cell phone Software question!

Okay, I'm getting a new phone and it's capable of USB connection. This is the phone I will be getting: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=4806

I wanted to know if the software would be compatible with Ubuntu 9.04, or if I need windows to run it? I'd like to be able to put music on it like it says I can.

I know it's a weird question, but I wanted to make sure. It's one of the many reasons I want it 8D;;

Thanks for any and all help!

Also, please don't go "lol verizon sux" or anything >___> Because it's annoying.

Thanks again

Also, I don't really know if this is in the right place or not. Sorry if it isn't!

Beans

Re: Cell phone Software question!

I'll refrain from saying anything specific about verizon.....

The company-that-shall-remain-nameless does not normally leave their phones in a state that normal software can deal with it. You will most likely need to unlock the phone (thus voiding the warranty).

It may be different with this specific model, but I have yet to see a company-that-shall-remain-nameless phone work with off-the-shelf software. They want you to pay them for everything.

Which is why I by unlocked phones now, and just tell the provider to activate it. I can't stand paying for crap twice. If I own a song, I damn well better be able to put it on the thing to use as a ring tone. Instead of buying it again.

btw, its not just verizon that sucks, all american carriers suck, just to different degrees. Talk to some of our comrades in the EU, specifically the northern countries. They pay significantly less for superior service.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dlmarti View Post
    I'll refrain from saying anything specific about verizon.....

The company-that-shall-remain-nameless does not normally leave their phones in a state that normal software can deal with it. You will most likely need to unlock the phone (thus voiding the warranty).

It may be different with this specific model, but I have yet to see a company-that-shall-remain-nameless phone work with off-the-shelf software. They want you to pay them for everything.

Which is why I by unlocked phones now, and just tell the provider to activate it. I can't stand paying for crap twice. If I own a song, I damn well better be able to put it on the thing to use as a ring tone. Instead of buying it again.

btw, its not just verizon that sucks, all american carriers suck, just to different degrees. Talk to some of our comrades in the EU, specifically the northern countries. They pay significantly less for superior service.
    Hah, that's true. Verizon sucks, and it's over-priced for everything. I wish it was as good as they say it was on TV.
    If only I could get cell phone service from over there...

So, basically, would I not be able to put stuff onto this phone using Ubuntu? Because I don't know if it comes with software or not to be able to do that, but I'm hoping it I could just use Ubuntu and not have to find a free copy of windows vista to install on this machine...

You confused me XDD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xFlowx View Post
    Hah, that's true. Verizon sucks, and it's over-priced for everything. I wish it was as good as they say it was on TV.
    If only I could get cell phone service from over there...

So, basically, would I not be able to put stuff onto this phone using Ubuntu? Because I don't know if it comes with software or not to be able to do that, but I'm hoping it I could just use Ubuntu and not have to find a free copy of windows vista to install on this machine...

You confused me XDD
    Unfortunately your not going to know for sure until you get the phone, or find a compatibility matrix for the software you want to use. The link you provided doesn't work, so I'm not able to get you started.

You can have a look here:
    http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html

But I warn you even if it says it works, Verizon may have locked it so you may not be able do any of the fun stuff the manufacturer designed the phone for. I've seen it time and time again.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately your not going to know for sure until you get the phone, or find a compatibility matrix for the software you want to use. The link you provided doesn't work, so I'm not able to get you started.

You can have a look here:
    http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html

But I warn you even if it says it works, Verizon may have locked it so you may not be able do any of the fun stuff the manufacturer designed the phone for. I've seen it time and time again.
    Darn. What does it mean if they 'lock' it?

And It's the Motorla Rival in Tin Silver. This is a picture of it...I wonder why the link doesn't work? [IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Hmm...
    Thanks! You've been helpful~

Beans

When the manufacturer designs/codes the phone, they give it a set of features that they believe will set them apart from the competition.

When Verizon reviews the phone, they remove features that either they do not wish to support or features that allow users to place free content on the phone (bypassing their Verizon store). They remove these features by supplying a rom list back to the manufacturer. From that point on all the phones that verizon buys from the manufacturer are dumbed down versions of the original phone.

This is why when you go to a phone manufacturer website, they list many more features than actually are functional on verizon phones.

In addition to disabling features on a phone, Verizon sets a bit in the Rom mask, effectively locking the phone so that these features can't easily be re-enabled.

So now you know why you have to sit through a 10 second Verizon movie every time your phone boots up, and why you can't just drop an mp3 on the phone for your ringtone.

All of this is the reason I purchase unlocked phones, that and the fact that I don't have to sign a contract. Unfortunately, unless your careful and look for deals unlocked phones can be expensive.

Beans
    Distro

When the manufacturer designs/codes the phone, they give it a set of features that they believe will set them apart from the competition.

When Verizon reviews the phone, they remove features that either they do not wish to support or features that allow users to place free content on the phone (bypassing their Verizon store). They remove these features by supplying a rom list back to the manufacturer. From that point on all the phones that verizon buys from the manufacturer are dumbed down versions of the original phone.

This is why when you go to a phone manufacturer website, they list many more features than actually are functional on verizon phones.

In addition to disabling features on a phone, Verizon sets a bit in the Rom mask, effectively locking the phone so that these features can't easily be re-enabled.

So now you know why you have to sit through a 10 second Verizon movie every time your phone boots up, and why you can't just drop an mp3 on the phone for your ringtone.

All of this is the reason I purchase unlocked phones, that and the fact that I don't have to sign a contract. Unfortunately, unless your careful and look for deals unlocked phones can be expensive.
    Do pardon my English, but damn. Now I hate Verizon more...I know that they suck, but not that they locked things like that. No wonder! My friend has a newer model, yet same phone as I do and she can put music on it but I can't. We both have verizon...
    That's just low and screwed up, I may buy unlocked phones when my dad's not paying for the service...

Jeez. XD Verizon blooows. Thanks for all of your help!

Beans

btw, I just check, the Motorola Rival A455 doesn't even work with the Motorola windows sync program. A fix is supposed to come out soon.

What that means to me is that someone f'ed up the phone and they are having to work around a bug in the firmware. So I doubt any 3rd party is every going to support it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xFlowx View Post
    Do pardon my English, but damn. Now I hate Verizon more...I know that they suck, but not that they locked things like that. No wonder! My friend has a newer model, yet same phone as I do and she can put music on it but I can't. We both have verizon...
    That's just low and screwed up, I may buy unlocked phones when my dad's not paying for the service...

Jeez. XD Verizon blooows. Thanks for all of your help!
    Its not just Verizon doing it, some providers actually make you pay out right for the phone but lock it so it can't be used on another provider.

buyer beware.

Beans
    Distro

Its not just Verizon doing it, some providers actually make you pay out right for the phone but lock it so it can't be used on another provider.

buyer beware.
    Ah, yes. I do know about that. My dad calls them 'Sim' cards that do that...so you can't use it on a different provider. They also plaster the phone with the service's name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast