Thread: setting preferred applications eg VLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

setting preferred applications eg VLC

A friend who is just starting out with Linux (Jaunty 9.04) wants to set VLC as the preferred app for DVDs; how does she set this as it's not listed as an option in 'Preferred Applications'
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

credobyte is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: setting preferred applications eg VLC

Insert your DVD, click Properties / Open With and Add.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks, thought it was something like that, I'll have to try it and any other suggestions when I go over there again; she's running 9.04, I'm running 8.04 and things are a little different.
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Re: setting preferred applications eg VLC

I have Jaunty and am trying to do the same thing.

I've inserted the disc, right clicked on the icon and chosen Properties - there's nothing in properties that lets me select the default application used to play the DVD.

So, I've tried Open With, and then chosen VLC, because it's on the list. VLC plays the DVD, but the next time a DVD is loaded, it runs movie player again.

I've tried setting a Custom command in the Preferred Applications panel, that doesn't work either - it opens Movie Player whatever I select in there.

I'm totally new to Jaunty. What am I doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tested this in a Virtualbox install of Jaunty, so hopefully it works for you

go to System > Preferences > Preferred Applications

then go to the 'Multimedia' tab, then select the 'Custom' option and enter
    Code:
    vlc %f
    and close,

then when I inserted a DVD, a dialogue window popped up asking what I prefer to open DVD with, I selected VLC and ticked 'always perform this action'